U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM

640 posts, read 952,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I, too, think he/she should not leave Portland mad or upset - they should simply go away. No need to have bad vibes. Just go. That'll make them happy, I'm sure.
would make a bunch of people happy...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 AM

13,601 posts, read 10,695,006 times
Quote:
I, too, think he/she should not leave Portland mad or upset - they should simply go away. No need to have bad vibes. Just go. That'll make them happy, I'm sure
You can say "they should simply go away" and let it go at that but it is often difficult to get everything in place to be able to move. It can be frustrating to have to stay in a place one does not like because the circumstances are such that it is difficult to move away. At that point it is easy to see more fault with the city and lash out. It may not be the smartest thing to do but it's pretty inevitable.

Last edited by Minervah; 04-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: qoutes looked funny

Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,269,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You can say "they should simply go away" and let it go at that but it is often difficult to get everything in place to be able to move. ...
Surely, but the person's post(s) were non-responsive to the OP. I don't think he can expect anything other type of (rather tempered, IMO) response when he's spitting out such non-sensical silliness.

Winter is too mild in the Gorge? He must not get out too often. Not enough snow? Visit Mt. Hood, less than an hour away from Fairview. Or drive through the Coastal Range when it's snowing. Mt. Batchelor, perhaps? Too much finger flippin'? Wonder how he drives. I've been flipped off ONCE while driving in over 20 yrs. No thunderstorms? Sorry, but that has to do with the atmospheric conditions, methinks. Dust storms? Visit eastern Oregon during the summer.

Really, the guy is comparing Fairview with Portland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
At that point it is easy to see more fault with the city and lash out. It may not be the smartest thing to do but it's pretty inevitable.
I disagree with that, that "it's inevitable." It's juvenile, imo, and that attitude will follow right along with that poster, because it's right inside of him.

It's very, very difficult to be able to simply pick up and move in this day and age. Very few people can do that. But nothing's holding one back from enjoying certain aspects of living in an area, whether one wants or has to leave. It's all in the attitude: enjoy your life while you have it; intentional misery just isn't worth the time.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 AM

4,629 posts, read 6,269,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You don't happen to still have a Bush '04 bumper sticker on your car, do you?
Seriously though... Good luck in Idaho. You'll be safe from us commies there, for certain.
Well, I thought this was funny, backdrifter - got it

Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 30,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
sounds like a typical Californian transplant to me. the tree-huggers are just the frosting on my Oregon cake and if I never see another barbie doll wanna be again in my life it will be too soon. I'd rather live in a green lovin', 60's throwback, slow drivin', nudist welcoming, chicken coopin weirdo-ville than stay here in the SF bay area where everybody is a pretend-nice (if you can get them to hang up their smart phone long enough to make eye contact) and you never know if your "friends" really like you or if they just don't have anyone prettier/richer to hang out with. AND BTW: people are probably flipping you off because you drive like a maniac, don't use your turn signal and cut them off in traffic. PLUS: despite what you've been told--women actually DO grow real leg and armpit hair get used to it.
In addtition to the many bumper stickers on your car, the "Obama" one is probably falling off because the glue is failing just like his career. Maybe his free health care plan will fix it for you. And besides the 50 million stuffed animals fading away on the back dash of your 1960's honda civic, improperly installed kid seats, old Mc Donald's lunch bags piled on the back floor, a disintegrating gym membership card and your ashtray overflowing with old zig zags you probably had since high school, your old jeans from junior high don't fit anymore. Sorry! By the way my friend SF was the epitome of the 60's chicken coopin weirdo ville you described if you can remember that far back through all the bong resin. Peace, love, war right!!! How scratched up are your Jimmie Hendricks albums? New world my friend. You get over it. It's called progression. Move on. You would fit right in here in Portland. And by the way, fairview, portland, it's all Oregon. Yuk!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM

640 posts, read 952,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemytwokids View Post
In addtition to the many bumper stickers on your car, the "Obama" one is probably falling off because the glue is failing just like his career. Maybe his free health care plan will fix it for you. And besides the 50 million stuffed animals fading away on the back dash of your 1960's honda civic, improperly installed kid seats, old Mc Donald's lunch bags piled on the back floor, a disintegrating gym membership card and your ashtray overflowing with old zig zags you probably had since high school, your old jeans from junior high don't fit anymore. Sorry! By the way my friend SF was the epitome of the 60's chicken coopin weirdo ville you described if you can remember that far back through all the bong resin. Peace, love, war right!!! How scratched up are your Jimmie Hendricks albums? New world my friend. You get over it. It's called progression. Move on. You would fit right in here in Portland. And by the way, fairview, portland, it's all Oregon. Yuk!!!
ZING! You know, I really like you! (It's so not me, but I thought it was hilarious!)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 29,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
ZING! You know, I really like you! (It's so not me, but I thought it was hilarious!)
I like you too. What you described was way not me either. Way too much coffee this morning, which results in verbal yucky muck. By the way, sarcasim is my middle name. Love the jabs.
Late

Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM

501 posts, read 761,105 times
i'm definitely planning on either leaving portland, or finding a neighborhood where the wifi/ cell / clearwire is not so dang annoying. the transmissions are so thick around here in sw pdx, that i can HEAR the high pitch buzz about 24 hours , at home. all the metal things in my apartment pickup the emf frequencies, so my apt is full of that singing sound off their transmissions. I hate it! this is emf overdose! portland is a emf junkie! (electromagnetic frequency= emf). i've only lived here for about 6 or so months, lived in the suburbs before and did not have this problem. that whine is ever present in the entire neighborhood of sw, unless you get way off the beaten track and it may be there too. not everyone hears it, but sensitive people can, and it effects everyone's cells/ dna even if you can't hear it. i have too mention that this phenomenon didn't seem to effect me til about midwinter, which i believe coincides with the Clearwire or whatever it's called, going into "full signal". which is also athe name of a video about this problem, being shown locally. i haven't seen it but man i am experiencing bad effects, so i can imagine what it's about.
Portland is very thick with electrosmog accumulation, partly due to being more prideful than careful, and rather sold-out to tech sector corporate interests over the public well being. The city/ county/ whomever, must be so desperate for funds, they'll sell us out for anything, including permitting this kind of detrimental but lucrative enterprise. Watch for these kinds of money grabbing antics coming up nationally as well, as the trillion dollar deficit makes the feds also go mad with money starvation and they leave no stone unturned looking for their payback.....

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 04-15-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM

53 posts, read 61,794 times
Yes, I am looking to move. I am a transplant from Canada who has spent more than half my life in Oregon; the last 7 years in Portland. Now that I am out of school with a family we need to move somewhere with more sun. It is brutal living with 9 months of garbage weather to get 3 months of bliss.

We do not hate it here by any means. Just looking for something different.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 PM

2,718 posts, read 2,409,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
Yes, I am looking to move. I am a transplant from Canada who has spent more than half my life in Oregon; the last 7 years in Portland. Now that I am out of school with a family we need to move somewhere with more sun. It is brutal living with 9 months of garbage weather to get 3 months of bliss.

We do not hate it here by any means. Just looking for something different.

You got to EARN the bliss!

Bliss comes at a price no matter what kind of bliss it is, and bliss ain't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland