Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM

68 posts, read 183,927 times

Advertisements

..and here's my story. I'll be leaving the Atlanta area, trying to sell my 4200 sq ft home (no, I'm not rich, but big houses are cheap out here), I'll be divorcing my wife, and bringing 2 golden retrievers with me.

I'll have to rent first, then when my house sells, hopefully buy something small, clean, simple, and quiet. My potential job location is in Beaverton.

I am also looking to be a medical marijuana patient. I have lifelong and daily IBS episodes that MJ helps with. I also have been in multiple back accidents, and my lower back is almost always in pain.

My doctors here told me that I would likely be a good candidate, but refused to comment anymore since Georgia is very harsh on marijuana laws.

I don't toke until my work day is done and all my responsibilities are taken care of, so I am not a stoned-out zombie from the time I wake up. So any info on your marijuana laws will be appreciated.

I'm going to fly out there in mid-April to check things out. Any comments are very much welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztopo View Post
..and here's my story. I'll be leaving the Atlanta area, trying to sell my 4200 sq ft home (no, I'm not rich, but big houses are cheap out here), I'll be divorcing my wife, and bringing 2 golden retrievers with me.

I'll have to rent first, then when my house sells, hopefully buy something small, clean, simple, and quiet. My potential job location is in Beaverton.

I am also looking to be a medical marijuana patient. I have lifelong and daily IBS episodes that MJ helps with. I also have been in multiple back accidents, and my lower back is almost always in pain.

My doctors here told me that I would likely be a good candidate, but refused to comment anymore since Georgia is very harsh on marijuana laws.

I don't toke until my work day is done and all my responsibilities are taken care of, so I am not a stoned-out zombie from the time I wake up. So any info on your marijuana laws will be appreciated.

I'm going to fly out there in mid-April to check things out. Any comments are very much welcomed!
You should definitely partake in the almost free acupuncture clinic at the reknowned Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, or the equally reknowned Natural College of Naturopathic Medicine, or the also reknowned Western States Chiropractic College.

You will find amazing quality of effective, lasting care, at a very low price, and will not find the need to be reliant on life-long pain meds for either IBS or back pain/trauma.

You do not have unalterable conditions, so life long self-medicating is not necessary or even healthy/safe.

Should you decide you do not want to visit a teaching college clinic, you can also visit one of the myriad world-class practitioners who reside in the pdx area. Then, you will also be able to partake in/enjoy the bounty of the natural environment in the area, as you will be pain free and mobile.

Enjoy!(:

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
You should definitely partake in the almost free acupuncture clinic at the reknowned Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, or the equally reknowned Natural College of Naturopathic Medicine, or the also reknowned Western States Chiropractic College.

You will find amazing quality of effective, lasting care, at a very low price, and will not find the need to be reliant on life-long pain meds for either IBS or back pain/trauma.

You do not have unalterable conditions, so life long self-medicating is not necessary or even healthy/safe.

Should you decide you do not want to visit a teaching college clinic, you can also visit one of the myriad world-class practitioners who reside in the pdx area. Then, you will also be able to partake in/enjoy the bounty of the natural environment in the area, as you will be pain free and mobile.

Enjoy!(:
Thank you so much. Outside Atlanta, we do not have many naturopathic clinics at all. It's just not that popular here. And I've been on every drug imaginable.

It sounds to me like I may be moving to the right place!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Having spoken to several Atlanta ex-pats and driven in Atlanta myself, I can say that you will have to get used to Portland drivers. For the most part they will drive the speed limit or just over it. One woman I talked to said the drivers in this city aggravate her so much she doesn't actually drive...she has her husband do it.

Also, real estate is pretty expensive here so renting is probably a great way to start. Hopefully this answers your questions.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Having spoken to several Atlanta ex-pats and driven in Atlanta myself, I can say that you will have to get used to Portland drivers. For the most part they will drive the speed limit or just over it. One woman I talked to said the drivers in this city aggravate her so much she doesn't actually drive...she has her husband do it.

Also, real estate is pretty expensive here so renting is probably a great way to start. Hopefully this answers your questions.
Gee that is awful....people doing the speed limit. One of the things I loved about living in Portland was the courteous and safe drivers. Now live in Flori-duh where it is a free for all.

Oregon is one of the safest states to drive in....again HOW AWFUL...good thing you warned him...LOL!!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 AM

LOL....Funny little dialogue there. I tend to be a leadfoot here, but that's because the roads are always plugged and you have to make up time when you can.

I think it's something I can get used to. And I am a little concerned about the real estate prices; they are pretty high-all considering. Rent would have to be my option. Someone mentioned Yamhill County to me, not sure why. I will check out the area before moving.

Thanks for you contributions

Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Oregon is one of the safest states to drive in....again HOW AWFUL...good thing you warned him...LOL!!!!
Very cute! I don't think speeding wildly goes over very big here....I think people tend to speed out in the more rural areas, like on hwy 26 towards the coast (), or even headed east on 26 up to Mt. Hood area. Be forewarned, newcomers...if you get caught, you may be in for a shock (price wise).

Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post

yeah, you will always know when someone is form cali based on the driving. you see someone coming up behind you weaving in and out of traffic & driving on the shoulder. when they pass you, 99% chance they have cali plates.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
But back to a very serious tone, I must add the following caution, which I am sure the OP already understands, but who knows who reads these threads in the future and and who can get the wrong idea....

YOU MUST have all your paper work and a Oregon licensed doctor's OK all in order BEFORE you start your medical marijuana treatment in the state of Oregon. This is not a joke, or something that is winked at. The Federal Government is still unhappy with medical marijuana.

I am sure there are web sites that will walk you through the details. Don't listen to rumors about how easy it is to score some dope and because you claim you need it everyone looks with a blind eye on your use to ease the pain. The only thing they look at is your paper work, and every 'i' doted and 't' crossed in your paper work.

Phil

Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
But back to a very serious tone, I must add the following caution, which I am sure the OP already understands, but who knows who reads these threads in the future and and who can get the wrong idea....

YOU MUST have all your paper work and a Oregon licensed doctor's OK all in order BEFORE you start your medical marijuana treatment in the state of Oregon. This is not a joke, or something that is winked at. The Federal Government is still unhappy with medical marijuana.

I am sure there are web sites that will walk you through the details. Don't listen to rumors about how easy it is to score some dope and because you claim you need it everyone looks with a blind eye on your use to ease the pain. The only thing they look at is your paper work, and every 'i' doted and 't' crossed in your paper work.

Phil
Thanks Phil. Yeah, no doubt I would be adhering to protocol with something like this. I am a law abiding citizen who's never ever been arrested, and plan to keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland