Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 09:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,466,117 times

Advertisements

So I decided to visit downtown for the Saturday Market being as the Saturday Market out in Montavilla is a bit lame in April.

Well, it seems there is the waterfront park market, Skidmore Fountain, PSU which I think may be the same as Park BLVD market, Old Town (which may be the same as Skidmore) Not to mention Hillsdale, Multnomah Village, and then I read a wonderful review of the Beaverton Farmers' Market.

So, any unbiased opinions on this forum for Spring Farmers / crafts / weird (PDX version) Saturday market?

Should we post photos of our favorite, or local, Market?

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,330,588 times
Saturday Market is unique in that it's primary focus is locally made arts and crafts. When you hear Skidmore fountain or old town, the reference is probably to Saturday Market. The other markets you refer to are literally farmers markets with wonderful local produce, plants and foodstuffs. The Wednesday (in the South Park blocks) and Saturday (on the PSU campus) are farmer's markets. So is the Beaverton farmers market on Saturday. All three are a veritable smorgasbord of food to buy and/or eat there. They are very popular and a wonderful way to spend a morning. Many neighborhoods have their own small markets during the week. Hillsdale has a lovely one on Sundays. Multnomah Village (charming area - antiques, restaurants, small specialty shops) does not as it's so close to Hillsdale. Almost all can be Googled. Here's the link to the main Portland markets.
Portland Farmers Market
Most will be open by early May. I can't wait!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,438,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
So, any unbiased opinions on this forum for Spring Farmers / crafts / weird (PDX version) Saturday market?

Should we post photos of our favorite, or local, Market?l
I think the photos idea is great. Most markets don't really get going until mid-April to May, at least not here in Clackamas County.

Here's a weird PDX version. It's People's Coop on SE 21st just north of Powell. Music, real farmers' food, lots of organic stuff, handmade chocolates, etc. Kind of interesting and they have it every Weds, year round.

People's Food Co-op - People's Farmer's Market (http://www.peoples.coop/community/farmersmarket/index_html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
The other markets you refer to are literally farmers markets with wonderful local produce, plants and foodstuffs.
Portland Farmers Market
Most will be open by early May. I can't wait!
And such are the farmers' markets in Clackamas County. Increasingly though, I've seen hand-made jewelry, hand-made outdoor furniture, etc. being sold.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Saturday Market is unique in that it's primary focus is locally made arts and crafts. When you hear Skidmore fountain or old town, the reference is probably to Saturday Market. The other markets you refer to are literally farmers markets with wonderful local produce, plants and foodstuffs.....
Oh, how right you are. I went to the Saturday Market by MAX and MAX runs right through the Saturday Market. It is large, running from Old Town east to the river in three sections, 2nd to 1st, (split by MAX line) 1st to Naito Parkway, and a large section East of Naito Parkway and under the Burnside Bridge.

I took some digital photos, but alas, only a few turned out worth anything.

But the smell, the aroma, of the cooking food was overwhelming.

Trivia:
Now I know where the most God awful ugliest head-wear come from. All last winter I noticed young people in Portland wearing a winter hat that looked like a close knitted tight fighting pull over cap with ear flaps and a cord attached to each ear flap hanging down with a tassel on the end of each cord. The colors and weave patterns were obviously a PNW unique style. Craft Vendors sell these "Portland" unique cap / hats. Fashion Police must not be working on Saturday Mornings in Portland. Anyone reading this not from Portland can not comprehend just how ugly these hats are. And about 1/2 of the young adults wear them! Hat Hair and all!!!

I couldn't make over to Saturday PSU Farmer's market by 2:00pm, Maybe next weekend if the sun is out.

Phil

Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Three Photos:

Entrance to the Saturday Market Food Court (taken from next to the Skidmore Fountain)....

A shot of some Vendor Tents from across Naito Parkway looking to SE 1stt

MAX Light rail starting to passing through Saturday Market.
Attached Thumbnails
Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-entrance-sat-market-food-court.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-sat-market-april-10.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-saturday-market-max.jpg  

Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm glad you went. Isn't it fun? I go about once a year, usually with visitors. I hope you had something to eat from one of the great food booths.
For those who don't know, the core of Saturday Market is local handmade products. Vendors are selected by some sort of committee. There are other vendors on the periphery of the market who sell t-shirts, soaps, gewgaws etc. that are not "Saturday Market" select vendors, but they add to the atmosphere and the fun.
Phil, you will not be disappointed by the Farmers Market at PSU. I urge you though, to check out the Beaverton market sometime this summer. It's a beauty.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Quote:
Now I know where the most God awful ugliest head-wear come from. All last winter I noticed young people in Portland wearing a winter hat that looked like a close knitted tight fighting pull over cap with ear flaps and a cord attached to each ear flap hanging down with a tassel on the end of each cord. The colors and weave patterns were obviously a PNW unique style. Craft Vendors sell these "Portland" unique cap / hats. Fashion Police must not be working on Saturday Mornings in Portland. Anyone reading this not from Portland can not comprehend just how ugly these hats are. And about 1/2 of the young adults wear them! Hat Hair and all!!!
So that's where they come from! I call them "Heidi" hats after the story book character of Heidi because they remind me of something from the Alps. And all the "sheeple" put them on their heads like they were performing some sort of intiation process.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Default Saturday Farmer's Market PSU campus

This weekend I made it down to the Farmer's market on the PSU campus on the south end of Downtown Portland.

Portland Farmers Market

This is where the food is....

Large crowd, for a mid-April Saturday. Still most of the crops are still too young to harvest. Lots of smoked salmon, and some other sea foods. Lots of 'organic' cheese, jams, honey, and such. A few leafy veggies stands from southern Oregon.

Coffee, pastries, bread, and bakeries doing a crisp business in the cool of an overcast spring day.

In the last Photo, that was taken near the Portland Street car stop, on the north end of the Market. BTW: parking spaces are hard to find. Street car's are mostly full. But the Market is like two, or two and half blocks from Green and Yellow MAX line stops at PSU.

The 2nd from the right, music to spend money by. Market had three music stages, and two other places for street musicians to perform.

And the center photo, lots of places to much finger food and discuss strategies for staying within budget.

In the 2nd from left, photo below notice the lady in red, with the Portland Farmer's Market version of a 'green' shopping cart. SHE has the shopping cart, the GUY in red has.... Nope, It never changes, does it?
Attached Thumbnails
Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-crowd-scene-1.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-crowd-scene-2.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-food-music-friends.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-music_to_spend_money_by.jpg   Just how many, and where are all the Saturday Markets in PDX?-northside-looking-south.jpg  

Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 PM

One of the great things about the market and all the other farmers markets is watching the produce change with the growing seasons. They are particularly gorgeous in the fall with pumpkins, squash, peppers etc. It's really worth it to stop in at least once a month to see how it changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland