Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 AM

414 posts, read 907,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
Haha yeah United_Caps_Skins_Fan, I know what you're saying about the traffic. After I experienced traffic in DC it was move right next to work no-compromise for me. The transit would have to be faster then that(though I never used it). Have you used the MAX here? It's pretty convenient. There isn't any turn styles or anything, you just hop on and go. In downtown you don't even have to pay.

Yeah, the traffic here is nothing short of horrific. I avoid driving in rush hour at all costs.

I have not properly visited Portland yet. That is on the to do list, as is using the MAX, especially since it is one of the places we are considering moving to.

I have been through Portland once, but it was really only passing through on the way to Seattle.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 PM

31 posts, read 62,922 times
Well, since I'm new to the city-data Portland forum, I'll ignore all previous comments and post what I love, hate, like and dislike about Portland, Oregon (for the record, I was born and raised here.)

Love: I absolutely love the size of the city (more like really big small town). It's not too big, not too small, and people are generally very friendly. There are some gorgeous neighborhoods with immaculate views as well.

Like: Portland is beaaauuutiiffulll! I also like that, if you really want to, you can easily run into people you know because Portland, geographically, really isn't all that big.

Dislike: The hipster scene and various fanciful views on Portland. I don't want to offend anyone, but the hipster scene just isn't for me. Saying Portland is "just a bunch of hipsters" is also quite falls, though, it just depends on where you are hanging out. I dislike the fact that people in other cities think they can arrive in Portland on a bike with no job and everything will be dandy.

Hate: By the time March rolls around, I start to really, really loathe the weather. Day after day of gray skies can wear a person down, almost to the point where I'd be willing to live somewhere snowy just for a change!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBorn View Post
Well, since I'm new to the city-data Portland forum, I'll ignore all previous comments and post what I love, hate, like and dislike about Portland, Oregon (for the record, I was born and raised here.)

Love: I absolutely love the size of the city (more like really big small town). It's not too big, not too small, and people are generally very friendly. There are some gorgeous neighborhoods with immaculate views as well.

Like: Portland is beaaauuutiiffulll! I also like that, if you really want to, you can easily run into people you know because Portland, geographically, really isn't all that big.

Dislike: The hipster scene and various fanciful views on Portland. I don't want to offend anyone, but the hipster scene just isn't for me. Saying Portland is "just a bunch of hipsters" is also quite falls, though, it just depends on where you are hanging out. I dislike the fact that people in other cities think they can arrive in Portland on a bike with no job and everything will be dandy.

Hate: By the time March rolls around, I start to really, really loathe the weather. Day after day of gray skies can wear a person down, almost to the point where I'd be willing to live somewhere snowy just for a change!
Exactly.. When I visited I picked this vibe up. If you travelled around town more often, you would see the same people is what it felt like to me.
Yet there are some smaller towns dominated by car culture where people are less likely to run into one another. Go figure. I like how a city with quite a wide population and growing can still feel like a smaller town.

Now I may look a little like a hipster, but I do not categorize myself as Brooklyn hipster type. No not at all. Someone could see me and think wow another hipster. Oh and also. I do internet searches and still see plenty of regular types of people in Portland. People must not be looking outside of Hawthorne if they think there are no hot regular girls around. Might have to go to Vancouver or Beaverton or some other pockets of the city, but still they are around, and not a long drive. People act as if none exist anywhere nearby and that kinda cracks me up. I roll with the freaks more, but I still notice these kinds of things.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:30 PM

Love that part of your post, DoctorRain. There are PLENTY of regular girls in PDX (trust me, I know quite a few of them), so people who think Portland is "just a bunch of hipsters" aren't looking too hard or certainly don't know where to go.

And, my apologies on originally spelling "false," "falls." LOL it's getting late. How embarrassing.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Love that part of your post, DoctorRain. There are PLENTY of regular girls in PDX (trust me, I know quite a few of them), so people who think Portland is "just a bunch of hipsters" aren't looking too hard or certainly don't know where to go.

And, my apologies on originally spelling "false," "falls." LOL it's getting late. How embarrassing.

It seems like theres plenty to me or more than some may have you to believe and probably within city limits too sometimes. Just go to Lloyd Center right or people who are getting massages at some places. Im sure at Lloyd, someone could find plenty walking around. Its debatable if theres even one hipster walking around Lloyd Center some times of the day even LOL. I think its more regular than some think. I just think when someone moves to Portland, make the weirdness just part of why you move. Not the whole thing. Like for me, climate plays a part, transit, lower transient rate than FL (people are always coming and going in FL and the tighter knit groups who stay don't like to let new people in) and just nice all around people hipster, weird, or not even too weird. I also feel transient natured can be entirely different from transplants who migrate, but fully intend to stay their course. Portland has the latter it seems.

Yea go down to Klamath False sometime.

My grandpa has falls teeth. They are autumn stained.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Like I said, Portland definitely has what you are looking for. I want to put the job hunt in perspective for you, though- I know quite a few people who were born, raised and still live in Portland with college degrees and extremely well-connected families who were unemployed upwards of six months and were NOT being picky about the job (just wanted a decent, salaried position). Trust when I say it is difficult.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Like I said, Portland definitely has what you are looking for. I want to put the job hunt in perspective for you, though- I know quite a few people who were born, raised and still live in Portland with college degrees and extremely well-connected families who were unemployed upwards of six months and were NOT being picky about the job (just wanted a decent, salaried position). Trust when I say it is difficult.

And I do believe you. I still dont think tons of places are much better though. Detroit?? Very few abandoned buildings in Portland. Look at this video here as well? I endured places like this, just on a smaller level and in PA too. I have no home, I am not rich, I am just saving a little money.. I have very little to lose. I can't find a job where I am right now so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsuY2dfz_B0

Theres 4 parts..

I would find it crazy if Portland was worse than this personally. Like Portland, this place has a high homeless rate, just more dead spots like what you see here. I'd be surprised if it was any better than Portland.
And what is is, if I end up homeless, I am preparing and what better place to do it than Portland?

Not trying to argue, just trying to compare.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 AM

Actually, IMHO Portland is not a great place to end up homeless and I truly feel for the people who do. It rains consistently for 9 months out of the year (at least, it seems), and no one needs to be stuck outside in that. While Portland may not be as depressed as St. P or Detroit (I think it's unfair to compare much to Detroit), it's no cakewalk.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 AM

23 posts, read 51,905 times
Love the walk from stark and 1st to pge park, than hook left and go to last stop of max before it enters tunnel. Relaxing...

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 AM

96 posts, read 131,967 times
Quote:
Actually, IMHO Portland is not a great place to end up homeless and I truly feel for the people who do. It rains consistently for 9 months out of the year (at least, it seems), and no one needs to be stuck outside in that. While Portland may not be as depressed as St. P or Detroit (I think it's unfair to compare much to Detroit), it's no cakewalk.
St Paul? St Paul is depressed?

Btw, why do so many of u here keep trying to convince us that PDX not easy to be homeless in?

Is there any city where it would be? Based on my understanding, it is hard to be homeless in Hawaii too. Where would it not be please? Or are you guys trying to scare people out of ur city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland