Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 62,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant View Post
The unemployment rate in Portland is less then a percent different then the national average. I don't see the point in bringing up unemployment ever time someone asks an unrelated question.
Except for it wasn't exactly unrelated- DoctorRain has stated many times he doesn't believe finding employment is as tough as it is here and is willing to become homeless.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM

254 posts, read 653,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBorn View Post
Except for it wasn't exactly unrelated- DoctorRain has stated many times he doesn't believe finding employment is as tough as it is here and is willing to become homeless.
Oh, I see, I didn't realize they were talking about a specific post.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 PM

313 posts, read 450,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's good. But I'm talking specifically about people who come here and ask about "survival" type of jobs, and then state that they don't believe what people are telling them. Some of them act like we're flat out lying to them when we try to tell them how bad the job market really is. They don't believe it when people caution them to come prepared and bring living enough living expenses for 6 months at the very least.

Let them believe what they want. I sincerely wish them the best of luck. But I personally will give them nothing.

Anyone who moves here to job hunt without enough "backup" money to live on for at least a year is taking a huge risk.

But if the money runs out with still no job, there IS cheap commune-living under the Burnside Bridge.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunJoaquin View Post
there IS cheap commune-living under the Burnside Bridge.
Nice, lol : )

Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate in Portland is less then a percent different then the national average. I don't see the point in bringing up unemployment ever time someone asks an unrelated question.
Why is this addressed to me?

Personally I don't see the point in it either. Kindly show me where I've done so.

You can't, because I haven't.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-05-2011 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Oh, I see, I didn't realize they were talking about a specific post.
Personally, I wasn't. I was talking in general.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Well, to be specific I hope everything does work out for DoctorRain. The cheap commune-living under the Burnside Bridge probably isn't the best possible outcome.

What I like about Portland? I like the chit-chat from almost everyone. Not sure if you guys noticed but it is a lot like that out here : )

Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Both posters did, and I decided to rep them. While the method of gathering the info sounds even less reliable to me now, I do appreciate them taking the time.
I tried to rep you back but I'd already repped you for something earlier and the system won't let me give you another one yet.

I agree that the numbers don't tell the whole story. Where I spend my summers at in Alaska, the unemployment rate is 19%, but the local businessses always seem to be begging for help and everyone who wants a job seems to be able to find one. Can't figure that one out.

The telephone survey deal doesn't seem that reliable...I wonder if they are just calling people who have land lines and who have listed numbers? A lot of people don't even have land lines anymore.

Ryant, I may have misunderstood your post and I apologize if I did. It doesn't seem all that necessary to always bring up the job situation in unrelated posts--honestly I don't see it that much but you might read this forum more than I do.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Yeah, sorry Metlalatla I shouldn't have directed that at you. It might be my impressions from the Oregon general forum or maybe it's just in my head.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Doc, I dont know about those other small cities, but I do know St. Petersburg, FL and it has only been depressed as long as this current economic down turn. While it did get fairly bad there, I don't think its any harder to find work there than it is in Portland. Pinellas co. is huge, and you must remember that St. Pete is also, quite literally right next to Tampa, which has not suffered nearly as much. The Tampa / St. Pete area is considerably larger than Portland, and is, IMHO one of the more cosmopolitan areas in the United States. I also do not think that comparing the likes of Altoona, Johnstown, Dayton, Lowell...etc is any sort of fair comparison. St. Pete is far larger than any of those, and as I pointed out is directly connected to Tampa, which is much larger than St. Pete still. Ive been to every city you list there (granted not since the current economic down turn), except Lowell, and can say with first hand certainty that there is really no comparison between those cities and St. Pete. The closest in comparison would be Dayton, but all of those cities are roughly 1/2 the size at the largest. None of them, again IMHO are nearly as nice as St. Petersburg, nor Tampa, even in St. Pete's somewhat downtrodden state.

As far as your assesment on the "hipsters" and / or "d-bags" as you call them in Tampa, well, I have visted it many many times, been out in Ybor many times as well, even before it was "cool" to go out there, as well as Channelside, Hyde Park, South Tampa, Davis Islands..etc. and really, this element you speak of is very small. If you want D'bags, go to Philadelphia,, anywhere in Jersey, even Baltimore... Theres far more of those types there than in Tampa, and I have spent a ton of time in just about every major east coast city with the exception of Boston.

I heard from residents that before Downtown St Pete got revitalized, it was worse off and has been a pretty depressed place. If anything, now its improved the appearance I'd say. Beachwise, its always been a draw and there is a bit of entertainment out there. Its larger than those other cities, but not much better off economically come to think about it. They got hit hard, but they still manage to have an industrial section out in the Gandy area. Looks like a place where I could have seen jobs pop up a lot for certain things so... Downtown area though, no jobs at all for sure.

Oh god.. there are even more DBags in many parts of the Northeast, but for city standards, I would say Tampa has a bit in a few select sections like New Tampa/Hyde Park/some clubbers in Ybor. A lot when you think about it.

I have grown up in MA. Economically they survive, anything not Boston is pretty bad for jobs though. Many service jobs available, but best for college kids getting discount rents. Try living in the city on full prices and you really cant on those salaries.
This is why I say, other places have problems, they are NOT exclusive to Portlands whenever someone mentions how oh people gotta leave because they can't find jobs or its so so so rough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland