Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 37,036 times

Advertisements

It rains in Portland? I thought it was a gentle mist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

172 posts, read 536,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
But wouldn't you agree that the cost of living in Portland is much lower than San Diego? I'm just looking for a medium sized town, not too big and not too small. Cost of living not out of control like ALL of southern California. An abundance of outdoor activities or at least at your fingertips. Clean city with good public transportation.
I think the most important element in COL to worry about is housing, and more specificlly buying a house. If buying a house is at the top of your list, that has a HUGE impact to your cost of living (and potentially quality of life) but seems to get smoothed over in the statistics. Portland real estate is significantly cheaper than Southern California, so if you ever plan to buy a house, Portland will make a big difference. In my opinion salaries in California do not in any way cover the difference in real estate prices. People in So. Cal can pay $600k to $1 million for a house that might be $250k to $500k here, if not less. People in Portland can buy condos fairly close to downtown for $200k and sometimes less. Assuming best case that you could get a 20% higher salary in CA(which I do not think is likely for most people), that doesn't come close to making up for housing prices that are in some cases double, or even more. How do the COL calculations account for the fact that a lot of people living in CA will never be able to afford to buy a house and if they do, a major fixer that is small and cramped will cost $500k?? Seems crazy to me but for a lot of people there is no substitution for the beach and the sun.

The housing issue would be my primary concern but it comes down to what is most important to you as an individual. Good luck!!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM

639 posts, read 1,598,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan653 View Post
I think the most important element in COL to worry about is housing, and more specificlly buying a house. If buying a house is at the top of your list, that has a HUGE impact to your cost of living (and potentially quality of life) but seems to get smoothed over in the statistics. Portland real estate is significantly cheaper than Southern California, so if you ever plan to buy a house, Portland will make a big difference. In my opinion salaries in California do not in any way cover the difference in real estate prices. People in So. Cal can pay $600k to $1 million for a house that might be $250k to $500k here, if not less. People in Portland can buy condos fairly close to downtown for $200k and sometimes less. Assuming best case that you could get a 20% higher salary in CA(which I do not think is likely for most people), that doesn't come close to making up for housing prices that are in some cases double, or even more. How do the COL calculations account for the fact that a lot of people living in CA will never be able to afford to buy a house and if they do, a major fixer that is small and cramped will cost $500k?? Seems crazy to me but for a lot of people there is no substitution for the beach and the sun.

The housing issue would be my primary concern but it comes down to what is most important to you as an individual. Good luck!!
Besides missing Oregon like crazy, this is a major factor in my decision to move the family there asap.

We're living in the SF bay area now and when the whole bottom dropped out of the housing market I knew prices were at the all time low - we STILL couldn't afford it! The absolute best price I could find was $200k for a really crappy looking older dump in gangland. I was like, "yeah, we're leaving California - this's stupid"

It's either that or shell out $2000 per month rent for a three bedroom apartment in a passable neighborhood since we have a girl who's approaching her teenage years and a boy just starting gradeschool. They just can't share a bedroom forever.

Plus - Californians tick me off.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM

258 posts, read 1,504,835 times
Good point Dom about the Mexican food. That is a huge plus about living in SD.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1964 View Post
it's really hard (impossible??) to find good Mexican food.... I have been here 4 months, and haven't found any yet.
Where have you looked? There are plenty of Mexicans here; just ask them where they eat. Personally, I like Don Pedro's in Hillsboro, and the taqueria at 10th & Morrison downtown. You can also go to supermarkets like Grande Foods in Cornelius or Chavita's in Beaverton and buy the ingredients and make your own.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Where have you looked? There are plenty of Mexicans here; just ask them where they eat. Personally, I like Don Pedro's in Hillsboro, and the taqueria at 10th & Morrison downtown. You can also go to supermarkets like Grande Foods in Cornelius or Chavita's in Beaverton and buy the ingredients and make your own.
Seriously. You're just not looking in the right places if you haven't found it. Hillsboro has a big Hispanic population, with a variety of cuisine choices.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
That place downtown is, in my umble opinion, a joke of authenticity. Never been to Don Pedro's, but I personally really enjoy this little joint on SE 17th at Spokane in Sellwood called La Sirenita. Best tacos I've ever had. Also on NE Glisan at about 60th there is a place called Los Taquitos that, although greasy, is very good too. Both come very close to the great Mexican food I was spoiled with in Southern Oregon (where the Hispanic population is a greater percentage), but nowhere near my tias' home-cooked, hand-me-down recipes from my abuela. If only she had taught my mom to cook too, and not just the three oldest sisters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland