Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My family and I(my husband, two daughter and myself) aare wanting to move to Oregon. We have narrowed it down to around Portland, but dont want to live in the big city. I would really like some recommendations. We like outskirts, suburbia of a big city. We love the outdoors anfd definitly DO NOT like expensive places. Plan on renting for awhile to we really find a place we love. I would love some ideas. So far I know Hillsboro is horrible. Can anyone help?
mommypirtle
ps coming from texas, so i would love to get alittle away from the beach and more towards mountains or hiking areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,226 times
First of all, I assume you have a job lined up. You should probably use your work location as a basis for your residence search. I wouldn't want to work in Gresham and live in Beaverton. Moving here without a job and hoping to just "wing it" for a while is not wise unless you have a stash of cash saved up.

Second, Hillsboro is not horrible. Suburbia yes, but horrible, no. What is your basis for this?

Third, coming from Texas (as I did 7 years ago), it WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE to live here. Be prepared for some sticker shock on just about everything, especially housing and food prices.

Finally, anywhere around the Portland area will be both close to the beach and mountains. And arguably prettier beaches and mountains than what Texas has. The best of both worlds.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypirtle View Post
So far I know Hillsboro is horrible.
Then you don't know much. Have you ever actually explored or researched entire Hillsboro area? It varies from "street of dreams" to very affordable.

It offers excellent MAX access.

The surrounding areas offers some of the most beautiful country in the valley with the rolling hills that butt up to the Chehalem Mtns and coastal range.

The core downtown area is revitalized and the county seat keeps the economy going. The crime rate is about half the US average, declining trend and well below surrounding areas like Portland.

Unemployment is high but slightly better then the state average and Portland. Oregon's high tech is centered around Hillsboro so you tend to get a higher ratio of professionals and educated workforce.

Last edited by davefr; 04-26-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 05:49 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
Why do you think Hillsboro is horrible? In what way?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Do you have a job waiting for you or are you planning to live off savings. In any case Hillsboro is a good place because there is a large choice for housing and is close enough to Portland so a short trip is all it takes.

I too wonder why the "Hillsboro is horrible" comment?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
This is just my opinion, but people who come from a state like Texas seem to be shocked by the strictly enforced urban growth limits the State of Oregon as in place around the Portland area. Inside the growth boundary limits property lots will be smaller than you are use to.

North of the Columbia River, around Vancouver, Washington, there is no growth limits in place, but the commute into Portland is just plain nasty. (well except for the east side with I-205 into East Vancouver, then it is only ugly.)

And by the way, since I got to Portland, I have found the Political Will is to NOT improve the roads in order to further discourage far out suburban growth. I hope your job location, and your tolerance for hours spent in commuting traffic, will allow you to find the rural life style you seek.

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland