U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 AM

245 posts, read 349,404 times

Advertisements

Is there ANY decent mexican in PDX? Surely there has to be some transplant who knows how to do it right...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM

4,204 posts, read 8,168,108 times
The best Mexican food is at the small taco shacks. There are a couple on 82nd (can't remember the intersections), one over in Hawthorne, a couple on Sandy. Over in the Pearl there is a restaurant that specializes in mid-state Mexican food, but that's not generally what most people mean when they say "Mexican."

Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 PM

472 posts, read 1,138,227 times
I think the restaurant PNW-type-gal is referring to is called Manzana-- or something like that. I've eaten there, it's very good but not cheap. There are two chains, one is a fish taco place, the other is a "fresh Mex" type. Both are good quick meals, and not too hard on the diet or the pocketbook. Most of the other Portland Mexican restaurants are Cali-Mex or Tex-Mex in style. Lots of refried beans, sour cream, fried taco chips, that sort of thing. I haven't found the lighter "coastal" Mexican style here yet. You could look at citysearch, that might have some listings.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 20,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Is there ANY decent mexican in PDX? Surely there has to be some transplant who knows how to do it right...
I highly recommend the truck on SE Division, near 34th or 35th...it's right across the street from the Stumptown building, only open M-F I think, and not late. Best burritos I've ever had....although I'm from Philly, so I don't have the same perspective as others. Still, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I left Portland a few months ago and I miss the food from this place a lot!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,681,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
You underestimate the resturants in Texas...

'Dallas. This Lone Star State city has a population of 1,250,950 and a selection of restaurants that add up to 2,666. While the city is known for its BBQ and steak houses there is a surprising mix of great eateries from chic to basic. That means every restaurant, fast food place and steak house in Texas’ third largest city can boast an potential pool of just 469 people. Making this city the winner of the title “City With The Most Restaurants per Capita.” '

Oregon was not mentioned... Which City Really Does Have The Most Restaurants Per Capita?
The most restaurants does not equate to good restaurants. But TX does have some very good restaurants as well as a lot of so so ones of all types. And not just in Dallas either. It seems to have some great influences from the neighboring Cajun, the influx of Mexican, to make its cuisine varied and tasty. As long as they lay off the salt and grease.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM

545 posts, read 828,633 times
The mexican food in Portland sounds like that of southern NH. Sounds like Portland has good places but just not authentic enough and everyone there is white who works there. Like I picture the more hipper places to eat mexican and not the authentic mexican feel with the mexican waiters all over the place.
Where I'm near in FL has some real good mexican. After eating mexican on the gulf coast of FL, I wont focus on it totally when I go to Portland. I will more than likely go to a steakhouse or eclectic oregonian kinda food or chinese food or maybe Genoa or something. Mexican isn't what I'd target there overall tho. Barbeque in Portland is probably hit or miss. Might be one or two places that has real good pull pork or pull beef. Seems the italian selection around there is pretty decent tho.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:01 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,572,522 times
You're better off eating regional food, wherever you go. Portland's not Mexico, or even near it. If you're looking for ethnic food, a higher percentage are Asian. Especially historically. I'd either go for something NW or something Asian.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
The mexican food in Portland sounds like that of southern NH. Sounds like Portland has good places but just not authentic enough and everyone there is white who works there. Like I picture the more hipper places to eat mexican and not the authentic mexican feel with the mexican waiters all over the place.
Where I'm near in FL has some real good mexican. After eating mexican on the gulf coast of FL, I wont focus on it totally when I go to Portland. I will more than likely go to a steakhouse or eclectic oregonian kinda food or chinese food or maybe Genoa or something. Mexican isn't what I'd target there overall tho. Barbeque in Portland is probably hit or miss. Might be one or two places that has real good pull pork or pull beef. Seems the italian selection around there is pretty decent tho.
Not exactly. Like I said, the best Mexican food (and I go to Mexico frequently) is in the small taco shacks and a couple of specialty gourmet restaurants. The rest of it is standard "California Mexican" aka "gringo Mexican" - like the Acapulco chain. As someone up thread said - heavy on the grease and salt.

The common ethnic food is Asian - Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Laotian, Malaysian, Cambodian, Indian and a whole host of specialty Asian restaurants. There are parts of town where there is a Pho restaurant on every corner.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM

545 posts, read 828,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Not exactly. Like I said, the best Mexican food (and I go to Mexico frequently) is in the small taco shacks and a couple of specialty gourmet restaurants. The rest of it is standard "California Mexican" aka "gringo Mexican" - like the Acapulco chain. As someone up thread said - heavy on the grease and salt.

The common ethnic food is Asian - Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Laotian, Malaysian, Cambodian, Indian and a whole host of specialty Asian restaurants. There are parts of town where there is a Pho restaurant on every corner.

Wow funny you mention Acupulco. They got one of these not too far from where I am in FL. I thought the food was just good but nothing beyond. Nothing outstanding, nothing very good just ok especially when you got an authentic mexican restaurant in the next plaza over and more of em all over town/area.
The taco stands I would also guess has the best out there seeing their mexican run pretty much always.
I thought asian food ran rampid out in the NW as far as quality goes. I was told some of the best asian food is out that way. Theres indian food in some places I know too. Those real good?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 PM

For Indian, I like Bombay Cricket Club on Hawthorne (although it's a mix of Indian and Mediterranean) and India House downtown. When I worked in Beaverton, I liked Swagats, over by Target in the remodeled house. I never cared for Swagats up in NW. When you walk into a good Indian food place, the smell of all the spices should make your mouth start watering right then.

My favorite little Vietnamese place (which I can't remember the name of) is on Sandy Blvd, across the street from Bike Gallery. There are good, mediocre and bad Asian places in Portland, but there are a LOT of them, so there are a lot of good ones. Which means there are a lot of bad ones, too, so if you get a bad one (mostly "gringo" Asian places, which have that stale, steam table food instead of freshly made), just go somewhere else next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland