U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 AM

268 posts, read 845,829 times

Advertisements

They both are within the same school district and seem very similar on the city-data site.
So locals, is there really much difference? Is one safer, more diverse, more family/kid focused, closer to MAX, etc????
We're heading there in 2 weeks to go house hunting so any assistance is MUCH appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycoleslaw View Post
They both are within the same school district and seem very similar on the city-data site.
So locals, is there really much difference? Is one safer, more diverse, more family/kid focused, closer to MAX, etc????
We're heading there in 2 weeks to go house hunting so any assistance is MUCH appreciated!!!
Any locals out there who know the answer for this?? We're flying out in NINE days!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Any locals out there who know the answer for this?? We're flying out in NINE days!!!
Now down to SEVEN.... Help, please!!! I'm thinking more towards Tigard, only because it's closer to the transit and to Portland but any extra info from you guys would be wondeful. Yes, I'm grovelling!!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

43,137 posts, read 20,088,733 times
I did live in Tigard for a year and four months over 10 years ago. I think you can still get decent real estate for a reasonable price in the Bull Mountain area, close to King City, 99W also goes through the town and it provides access to the 217, freeway and Interstate 5.

I can't help you with the schools because I don't have any kids, but I have a cousin who lives on Bull Mountain and he and his wife are happy with the education their kids are getting.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I did live in Tigard for a year and four months over 10 years ago. I think you can still get decent real estate for a reasonable price in the Bull Mountain area, close to King City, 99W also goes through the town and it provides access to the 217, freeway and Interstate 5.

I can't help you with the schools because I don't have any kids, but I have a cousin who lives on Bull Mountain and he and his wife are happy with the education their kids are getting.
Thank you~ You're a huge help! I'm liking the area and am sure we'll be fine there, just helps to have some input from those of you more familiar with it.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,017 times
I have lived in Tigard pretty much my whole life. Tualatin is a very similar city to that of Tigard; very pleasant and quiet, but close to Portland. There are good schools in this area and it is very family-friendly in my opinion. I think for you, it will just come down to how your home search goes. I'm confident you would be very happy in either town. Best wishes!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,439,902 times
Quote:
I've done business there, and grown up around there.

I can't quite explain it, but I'd much prefer Tigard. Tigard has a bit of traffic, but something about Tuatin's roads drive me nuts.

There is one awesome shortcut through Tualatin to get to Beaverton during rush hour in 15 minutes, but its the only one I know.

Tualatin seemed to take too much commercial development and truck traffic. Maybe that's it.

But we will be moving north after we sell here, and Tualatin is not even a consideration. I'd much prefer Wilsonville if I was going to be south of Tigard.

Personally, I'm hoping for Hillsboro, because the ocean is about a 60 minute drive, and I would go almost weekly in summer. My wife feels the same way.

Hillsboro had "migrant overload" in the 80s, but the high-tech industry brought in nice neighborhoods and schools. Also, Hillsboro's urban planning was done better than Beaverton's. Beaverton grew first and got caught off-gaurd.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM

66 posts, read 167,162 times
tigard really seems like it is part of portland. It's a bit closer and there's a lot more shopping. It depends on if you want to life somewhere slightly more or slightly less cityish. Both are fine, but yes, the roads are more annoying in Tualitan.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeInOR View Post
I have lived in Tigard pretty much my whole life. Tualatin is a very similar city to that of Tigard; very pleasant and quiet, but close to Portland. There are good schools in this area and it is very family-friendly in my opinion. I think for you, it will just come down to how your home search goes. I'm confident you would be very happy in either town. Best wishes!
Thank you!! We did end up buying a house in Tigard so are keeping fingers crossed for no glitches w/ the loan process...we do have a nice back up house down in Tualatin in case something doesn't go through but did love the location in Tigard.
I feel good about the areas and schools!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I've done business there, and grown up around there.

I can't quite explain it, but I'd much prefer Tigard. Tigard has a bit of traffic, but something about Tuatin's roads drive me nuts.

There is one awesome shortcut through Tualatin to get to Beaverton during rush hour in 15 minutes, but its the only one I know.

Tualatin seemed to take too much commercial development and truck traffic. Maybe that's it.

But we will be moving north after we sell here, and Tualatin is not even a consideration. I'd much prefer Wilsonville if I was going to be south of Tigard.

Personally, I'm hoping for Hillsboro, because the ocean is about a 60 minute drive, and I would go almost weekly in summer. My wife feels the same way.

Hillsboro had "migrant overload" in the 80s, but the high-tech industry brought in nice neighborhoods and schools. Also, Hillsboro's urban planning was done better than Beaverton's. Beaverton grew first and got caught off-gaurd.
Thank you!! We ended up buying a house in Tigard which is in a great location and my husband could walk to his office in Washington Square! Now to get through all of the relocation nightmare stuff...sigh...good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland