U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 22,461 times
Default new to the forum!

Hi Folks,

New to the forum, looking to learn as much about Portland and Oregon as I can. Hope to make a few friends here, maybe people who can give me some tips on living in stumptown. After years of effort, I've been able to line up a good job and am moving to the area this August!

JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,352,995 times
Hi JD:

Welcome.

Where, generally speaking, you coming from? East of the Mississippi, South, California, Rockies?

The harder the challenge, the better the tale to be told later.

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 830,687 times
Welcome to Portland! My family and I moved here to a NorthEast neighborhood about six months ago and are really enjoying it here. It's very beautiful now that Spring has arrived. Welcome!

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:02 PM

24 posts, read 21,316 times
Welcome JD,

I hope you like it here as much as I do. Been here for about a year and could not be happier about it. August is a great month to move IMHO. Congrats in advance :-)

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:45 PM

614 posts, read 762,004 times
Congratulations and welcome.

Unread 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 22,461 times
Thanks folks. I'm moving from the Philadelphia area. I have a few relatives in PDX and always enjoyed visiting (and running the road races). The fact that the state has so much to offer for outdoor recreation, bicycle friendly commuting, and craft beer is a huge plus. I like the fact there is a lot of rural area to Oregon as well.

I really like the north, NE, and SE sections of Portland. If anyone has recommendations for reliable housing brokers, please let me know! Right now I'm torn between signing a lease to an apartment sight unseen, or just trekking out, looking around, and signing a lease when I get there. Any tips or suggestions?

Unread 05-19-2010, 05:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,090 times
Welcome! If you can crash at a relatives place without it being an issue than that is a real luxury.

Unread 05-19-2010, 05:45 PM

24 posts, read 21,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
Welcome! If you can crash at a relatives place without it being an issue than that is a real luxury.
at least until you can find a place on your own.

Unread 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,352,995 times
Signing a lease sight unseen?

Ahem, AHEM....
As in you don't know how loud the neighbors are, the off street parking at night, how close your bedroom window will be from the trash dumpster (the smell can ruin you sleep during the summer)

This is your choice. But, Mark me down as the third vote for spending a week with your relatives while you apartment hunt.

Unread 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,063,382 times
Yes yes yes! It will be sooo much easier to find a place if you have a week to look while you're here. I recommend against sight unseen lease signings...

Moving to a new city and getting stuck in a terrible apartment/house/condo at first can really have a very large negative effect on your impression of the city. I know first hand... You'll also want to make sure there aren't any mold issues with your living space too before you move in. My old apartment had poor (possibly illegally so) ventilation in the bathroom and the entire bathroom got mold infested in the winter.

But welcome to the forum and soon... welcome to Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland