Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
Hi, I am on the coast here in Monterey County,CA. Not much better here,either! IT's depressing! Overcast 80% of the time! Never gets over 70 degrees! A heat wave is 80 degrees,lol!
Try Northern California but closer to Redding/Sonora/Sacramento areas. Just stay away from the central valley. air quality is awful, at least for me!
I know all about California and I hate Northern California (except "far" Northern California)! I would much rather go to Los Angeles or SLO County than Sacramento or Monterey!

I am so thankful for the heat and clear, sunny skies today. Perfect summer weather.

Trip to California potentially averted... Yay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Please! There is no need for a swamp cooler in Portland. We have like 3-5 days of oppressive heat per year!
Are you joking? My apartment is already so sweltering that I think I'm going to need a full-blown HVAC (or maybe just VAC!) system just to keep things comfortable. I can't imagine how hot it will be in here when summer actually arrives, especially with my computer in the room. It's already 90 in here. The people who built my apartment skimped on everything except thermal insulation it seems. Our little window unit just can't keep up with the heat buildup. When it's 60 degrees outside it's like 85 inside. We don't even need to use the heaters during the winter!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Are you from Alaska?! Saskatchewan?! The Yukon?!

Seriously, it sounds like you need to move if you're that uncomfortable. My apartment (ground floor) is well insulated, and it's a cool 67 degrees in here at the moment (7:12pm). It's been sunny most of the afternoon.

I still stand by my statement that there is no need for a swamp cooler in Portland. Fans do the job unless there's a situation like yours. And I'm sorry you're going through that.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM

My personal theory on why I am always so hot is that I probably have a lot of Celtic or northern European genes in my ancestry.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
That might well be true. I think it may also have something to do with where we grew up. 98% of the people I know here are Oregonians born and raised, and they don't mind the weather at all. I grew up in the Pacific Southwest (tho born here), and I'm done with the weather here. Case in point: In recent weeks I've had agonizing arthritis pain. The past two days have been dry and sunny... guess what, I've had no pain.

Have you thought about moving to a shady area? Wilsonville can be pretty sunny, and I'm surprised your apartment isn't better insulated or air conditioned. It's pretty new down there, unless you're in an older area. I used to live in Ladd's Addition. In the summer the elm and larch trees provide a lot of shade, making it more comfortable. When I lived in Hollywood, I lived in the afternoon shadow of a big building, so it didn't get hot there either.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 PM

I was born in Louisiana and spent most of my life in the metro Atlanta area of Georgia. I always hated the summers there and felt much happier and more comfortable during autumn and winter. I've just never really been bothered by the cold. When I was in Ohio early this February visiting family, somebody wanted me to go and scrape all of the snow from the blizzard off of the car. So I just walked out in my T-shirt and pajama pants and went to work. Didn't feel bothered at all, even though it was only about 20 degrees outside. I felt perfectly good, in fact!

The apartment complex I live (Bridge Creek [yuck!]) in is heavily shaded, and my particular apartment is completely surrounded by (and almost completely covered by) trees. But it still gets hot inside!

It would probably be a little less hot if I turned off my huge computer, but then I wouldn't be able to work.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 06-23-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM

240 posts, read 483,077 times
Lunar, I feel your pain. My townhouse is already hot, too, especially upstairs with the sun today. Maybe Pathrunner doesn't need any help with cooling, but everyone's set point is different. I was most dismayed that my place was already reaching 85 today, and I work at home. Shades of enduring Florida last year, and I hate it. Must hurry and get swamp coolers and fans SOON!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Post Weather vs. Climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Well, look at the weather records - this is a RECORD cold and wet spring, not normal at all.
I guess it's a testament to Portland's progressiveness that this thread hasn't been hijacked by Dittohead AGW-deniers who cite every patch of cool weather as "proof" that the whole global climate is cooling, despite ongoing ice shrinkage at the poles and on the glaciers.

A lot of people still think that winter itself would go away if AGW was real. They don't seem to understand the whole axial tilt causation of winter.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I guess it's a testament to Portland's progressiveness that this thread hasn't been hijacked by Dittohead AGW-deniers who cite every patch of cool weather as "proof" that the whole global climate is cooling, despite ongoing ice shrinkage at the poles and on the glaciers.
I was thinking it....I just didn't say anything.

Speaking of warming....WOO HOO!!!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I was thinking it....I just didn't say anything.

Speaking of warming....WOO HOO!!!!!
!

Oh no... I wanted sun, not 90s in Portland... We don't have air con at my house!

But at least it will be sunny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland