U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,838,806 times
Beaverton does indeed have a downtown area, centered on Broadway and Farmington Rd, cross streets Watson, Hall, and Lombard. South of Farmington Rd. is an area of older, distinctive, non-cookie-cutter homes.

If you have access to Google Street View, you can look at all these areas and compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM

714 posts, read 1,521,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Beaverton does indeed have a downtown area, centered on Broadway and Farmington Rd, cross streets Watson, Hall, and Lombard. South of Farmington Rd. is an area of older, distinctive, non-cookie-cutter homes.

If you have access to Google Street View, you can look at all these areas and compare.

Yes, and there's a wondeful farmer's market about a block or two away on Saturdays.

Unread 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,051 times
Default I've lived in tigard and hillsboro. hillsboro, no - tigard, great.

I live in hillsboro but we're moving as soon as we sell our house. We don't recommend hillsboro at all. It is one big dog park among other negatives. I have grandchildren, one of them is a 7 yr old granddaughter that would like to walk on the sidewalk. There is no leash law in hillsboro. I don't know why they have a nice dog park in hillsboro because no leash is required anywhere on the city sidewalks. The city of hillsboro goes by the washington county dog leash law. It says that a dog can be off-leash if it is "at heel". I had a video of a big dog on the sidewalk of the sidewalk community where I live that was off leash and 20 ft from the owner. That is ok here according to the washington co animal control manager and the police. If you prefer dogs over your grandchildren or children, who don't like walking by strange unleased dogs, hillsboro is a fine community to live in. Also, it is a dumping ground and no one cares. There has been a soiled bed mattress in full view on a vacant lot at the intersection of alexander and brookwood for over 2 yrs just down the street from where the witch hazel elementary school is. Also, hillsboro is not very well thought of in general by people that live in the portland oregon area including me now after living here for 3 yrs now. I would love to be able to sell my house and move from hillsboro, I hate it here.

Unread 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM

323 posts, read 120,173 times
Hondo offleash park is very small and certain dogs should be leashed while I believe family friendly dogs should have the privilege to wlk offleash with there owner with walking distance.
My office is relocating to Hillsboro and live in Vancouver, Wa.
Not so sure if I want to deal with commute everyday with 9-5 hours.
Hillsboro seems like it has more to offer for family fun stuff compare to Vancouver and better shopping.
The main thing I struggle with crossing over into Portland is that it's very liberal and they have their
own communist newspaper, lots of hippes, and the State is in deep debt.

Unread 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM

670 posts, read 988,653 times
Hillsboro is probably more like Vancouver than it is like Portland.

Unread 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

5,587 posts, read 5,983,746 times
Actually the State of WA is in deeper financial trouble than Oregon. Many Vancouverites shop in Oregon to avoid sales tax, Washington's main source of income.

You can still read the Vancouver newspaper (they need the revenue).

If you don't like Hillsboro or Portland there are many other communities in the Tualitan Valley that you may be happy living in that are a sane commute to Hillsboro.

Unread 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM

5,200 posts, read 3,792,371 times
Some people should really try to get over their mistrust of others and pool their resources with like minded citizens and establish a utopian ex-earth colony in low orbit or even better on the lunar surface. Just saying.

H

Unread 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,731,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Some people should really try to get over their mistrust of others and pool their resources with like minded citizens and establish a utopian ex-earth colony in low orbit or even better on the lunar surface. Just saying.

H

Sounds good. Let's model it after downtown Hillsboro or Tigard.

M

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-28-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

12,942 posts, read 8,479,995 times
I don't drive so I don't own a car. I lived in Tigard some years ago and while I liked where I lived I eventually moved because it was difficult to walk to the grocery store or any other shopping. I would choose either Hillsboro or Beaverton.

Unread 04-12-2011, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Actually the State of WA is in deeper financial trouble than Oregon. Many Vancouverites shop in Oregon to avoid sales tax, Washington's main source of income.

You can still read the Vancouver newspaper (they need the revenue).

If you don't like Hillsboro or Portland there are many other communities in the Tualitan Valley that you may be happy living in that are a sane commute to Hillsboro.
What are other sane commutes from Hillsboro?
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland