Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 PM

76 posts, read 209,823 times

Advertisements

Me and the sun have gone through a recent breakup. After having lived in Arizona for 14 years and Texas for 10, we have realized that we have irreconcilable differences and need to spend some times apart.

I adore the rain. I'm infatuated with clouds. I have a passion for storms and mountains.

I've been to the east coast and it wasn't for me. I'm thinking west coast is more my pace and style.

So. I know everyone always has the same types of questions on these forms and I've read a lot of similar posts but I figure I'll throw my two sense in.

Thoughts? Suggestions on the area? I'll be finishing my bachelors degree online so schools aren't an issue. I work for AT&T so I have a job if I decide to transfer.

I'm looking to come out visiting soon - places to go? people to see? I don't really know anyone in the area and may end up coming by myself. Best places to stay to really get a feel for the area? I know that's hard to do in just a few days but it's a start.

Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
You might enjoy some of the videos posted to this thread:

documentaries about portland?

I'd love to link you to a bunch of my blog entries about our "expeditionary" trips out to Portland over the past couple years...but I think there's some weird rule here about linking to other forums and stuff. Here's a paste from a recent trip which lasted about a week:

- stayed at the White Eagle Saloon, enjoying their food and music all week
- explored the Saturday Market in Tom McCall Waterfront Park
- saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club perform at the Wonder Ballroom
- watched Alice In Wonderland (and the TRON Legacy trailer) at the Roseway Theater
- enjoyed some happy hour drinks on top of Big Pink at the City Grill
- visited the Lan Su Chinese Garden, and drank delicious things in their tea house
- shopped and ate at the "vegan minimall" (seriously, this exists)
- spent an evening playing around at Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade
- get lost, but not too lost, in Powell's City of Books for an afternoon
- shopped at Sock Dreams and all kinds of other weird, nifty clothing stores
- visited Free Geek, chatted excessively with the staff (didn't want to leave)
- ate at several unique breakfast spots including Cadillac Cafe, Doug Fir, and the Stepping Stone Cafe
- drink tasty coffee and amazing hot cocoa at Stumptown Coffee Roasters
- sampled tasty beers and tasty dinners at the Deschutes, McMenamins, and Widmer brewpubs
- wandered all over downtown, discovering at least three solid blocks of amazing food carts
- rode around on various forms of TriMet, including a ride up the zoo elevator
- took a day trip to the seashore (Tillamook, Cape Lookout, Three Arches, Munson Creek Falls)
- took in the views from Mt. Tabor Park and the riverside Esplanade
- watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus at the Laurelhurst Theater
- shopped at weird, fun stores like Spartacus and the Doc Marten's Outlet (one of only two in the USA)
- wandered the hills, failing to find Pittock Mansion due to construction (but seeing amazing vistas)
- spent our last few hours in Portland indulging in the eccentric creations of Voodoo Doughnut

Finally, here are a few select photos from that trip:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13300291-post65.html

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
For a newbee,

Google: Moving to Portland OR
A couple of web sites hosted by Real Estate people which give a lot of info on the City of Portland's neighborhoods.

Portland has Urban Growth Limits, and these are enforced. Housing in the 'burbs has smaller lot sizes than you may be used to in Texas (or most any place for that mater.)

Just be aware, at this time in the Great Recession, jobs are hard to come by. There are jobs opening, but there are lots of applications for those jobs.

I hope your breakup with Mr. sun hasn't left you with too many emotional wounds. Portland and the PNW, we seem to have a more gentlemanly relative to the more boisterous extroverted Mr. sun you may have met in your past. While for months at a time he will appear to be a recluse, and a touch introverted at the worst of times, but he really can be a good friend. You'll just to have to talk nice to him, apply a little southern warmth and charm to him, and eventually he will make an appearance.

And when he does come out, oh WOW, you will be amazed at just how much he cleans up and can sparkle. A most impressive Gentleman in all the ways it counts.

So, ah, if you do head up this way, any chance you would care for us to set you up on, well, you know,, a get acquainted meeting, maybe just some coffee in a Park, or something. You know, casual like. I not trying to push you too soon after your recent breakup or anything, but it will help for you to get out and meet a new Mr. sun. I think,... I am almost sure, Portland's Mr. Sun has some open social time in Late July or early August...

I think you would like him, he's got a great personality. He just might make you smile... Well at least until gets shy again and goes off and hides for a while.

Phil

PS: Just some Grandfatherly advise, that's all.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 06-08-2010 at 10:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,281 times
re: storms

Portland is not the capital of "storm watching", I think that is more of a midwest thing. During the eight month rainy season (October-May), a typical day is cloudy, light drizzle, light wind, and 50 degrees.

It is fun watching storms blow through along the coast in the wintertime... they tend to carry heavier rains, heavier wind, and a nice variety of clouds (high and low). Still not as exciting as the storms I see blow through Ohio when I go to visit though.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post

Finally, here are a few select photos from that trip:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13300291-post65.html
Thank you so much for sharing! Your pictures are stunning!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
re: storms

Portland is not the capital of "storm watching".
Being from Arizona, I've been around monsoon weather and while I love it, I'm just much happier with gloomy and grey skies than bright and sunny ones. Thanks for letting me know though. =)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Phil,

Thank you so much for your hilarious reply. Nice to find another person with a sense of humor on the internet!

The sun and I have agreed to be acquaintances who see each other from time to time but not on a daily basis. We just need our space if we are going to ever be friends again. It's just too much right now.

The Texas sun is so full of himself anyway - always shining and making it disgustingly hot and humid!

I've googled some information on moving to Portland - read about various neighborhoods and what not. I would NOT move without a job. I can transfer with ATT so I'll be guaranteed a job when I get there. Wouldn't make sense for me to uproot and have no job.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,794 times
I think the TX sun, AZ sun and FL sun must be related. Perhaps brothers, even? Good grief, I've never been so annoyed and frustrated in all my life than by FL sun. What an arrogant and pushy orb. I've been trying to break up with him for years. He's just so persistent!! Yep, I'm convinced they must be relatives.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:05 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irr3l3vant View Post
....The sun and I have agreed to be acquaintances who see each other from time to time but not on a daily basis. We just need our space if we are going to ever be friends again. It's just too much right now.

The Texas sun is so full of himself anyway - always shining and making it disgustingly hot and humid!.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfloyd17 View Post
..... Good grief, I've never been so annoyed and frustrated in all my life than by FL sun. What an arrogant and pushy orb. I've been trying to break up with him for years. He's just so persistent!! .....
Well, since irr313vant has come to terms a sort of "let's just be friends",,,,,,
Maybe I should be totally honest about Portland's Mr. Sunshine,
The truth is he is a player, no seriously, a wide brimmed hat. purple shirt, and white pants type of player.

Oh, sure, when he meets and greets you in August, or September, why is it all warm sunshine rays wrapping around your body, making you feel all warm and tingly all the way to the bones of your soul.

But along about the end of October, he will start to drift, and then about late November, long about turkey day, BAM, The dude just ups and disappears. No Phone call, no letters, not even an Email, and you can forget about any text message. Just gone. Gone for at least 6, 7 maybe 8 months. He will just break your heart.

Oh, you may catch a glimpse of him sneaking around for a minute or two for most of the Winter, or my see traces of him in March, but he is just plain NO WHERE AROUND for you.

Then come late June he kind of starts to show up when you don't expect it, saying Hi, and S'UP and such. Then, just like nothing has happened, in July he will slide right up to you, and act like nothing has happened. He just expects you to start up again with him where you left off way, WAY, back last October; Last October! Just putting his warm sunshine rays around your body and making you feel GOOD all over again. No excuses, no reasons, no apology, NOTHING. Just starts in caressing you with rays, and whispering in your ear if you're protected with the good SPF. Oh, yes, he be a player. Oh, YES HE IS!!!!

Now I maybe some crazy old coot, but you had better not be a 'wearing-your-heart-on-your-sleeve" type of girl if you want to be messing around with Mr. Sunshine in Portland, Oh-No-No-No

If you come to Portland, do keep in touch with you Mr. Texas Sun, or his close coz'in Flor-E-da'z Sunny (AKA "Daz Sunny") You would be wise to have someone help you deal with the fickle and "player" Portland's one and only Mr. Sun. BTW: did I tell you Portland's own is also a Prima Donna wannabee who thinks he will get a Major Movie deal sometime soon? No one has told him NOT! Those Twilight movie people want the Ms Oregon Moonshine, not HIM.

{OK, I'm done for a while now. Back to being serious again. Thanks for letting me go off on a tangent.}

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Hilarious!

You guys are awesome.

I think the Texas sun wants me back - he has been hiding lately with lots of cloud cover and rain.

I'm still hoping for Portland - trips aren't too expensive to come out and visit... just need to find someone to come with me first. I'm looking for October or January (for my birthday). We will see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: