Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times

Advertisements

I agree that the estimate might be a little off. I do know a lot of doctors will induce a mother who is 40 weeks or more, that's not uncommon due to increased risks. And I think once you are in labor and hit the 10-12 hour point, you and your doctor will have a good idea of how well labor is progressing. If all is well, hopefully you can continue attempting a vaginal delivery, ask him if he's willing to wait a bit longer in that case. For myself I had three large babies, all by c-section. The first I tried for a vaginal delivery, but after 23 hours it just wasn't happening, I'm small with narrow hips. My first baby was 9.1 lbs, and my youngest and largest baby was 10 lbs. Try not to stress, a c-section is nothing to fear. Good luck and congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Oh good grief. Your body was designed to push out a baby. FTR, the doctor "guesstimated" that my son would be 9 lbs... he was 6'14". If you are induced, there is a good chance you will end up with a C-section. Your baby will come when he is ready... although it's more convenient and more money for your doctor to induce you and do a C-section, it may not be in your best interest. Ask your doctor what his C-section rate is... some doctors in my area have rates of over 40%. Go watch "The Business of Being Born." Seriously.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's one of the reasons I'm glad I didn't have a vaginal delivery. (That and not being stretched out.)

My recovery was very fast. I was driving a week later (even though I wasn't supposed to be driving).
Yes. The nurse MADE me get up at the first opportunity. It hurt like hell to stand the first time (and to laugh, or cough, or breathe), but then I started walking as soon as possible and each time it was easier. The longer you lie in bed after a C-section, the longer it will take you to recover.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. The nurse MADE me get up at the first opportunity. It hurt like hell to stand the first time (and to laugh, or cough, or breathe), but then I started walking as soon as possible and each time it was easier. The longer you lie in bed after a C-section, the longer it will take you to recover.
This is true.

I think the only uncomfortable part about my entire experience was the catheter... and that was not exactly horrific.

Actually... only somewhat true. I forgot to take Colace when I left the hospital. One week later, and I wished I was having another c-section, LOL.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Guesstimated weights for babies are *notoriously* erroneous. Try not to worry. Doing kegels will significantly reduce issues with being stretched out. C-section rates show that way too many doctors do them for their own convenience vs. true medical necessity.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Oh Geez...First of all, stop reading all the horror stories online. You will be fine. Tell your doctor what you want! Have a plan ready. I am measuring big also..My doctor also *thinks* my baby is going to be large...it is what it is. MILLIONS of women give birth everyday. I also was induced with my first 2. No problems at all. Your body will do what it has to do...stop freaking...it is all good.

I would never elect a section over a vaginal delivery. Why would I want a major surgery? Blood clots and complications from surgery freak me out much more then delivering a baby the way women are supposed to...Not saying that sections are not needed in some cases...

Yes...women deliver 10 LBS'ers all the time. Just get that epi. LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 AM

507 posts, read 2,297,071 times
my lil boy was breech and never would turn in my 9th month, so I was scheduled for a c-section. I wasn't hardly even sore and I even had a tubal ligation after he was taken out. I went home in 2 days. I was told to do very little, but when I went home, I was up doing laundry! About the only thing that was very painful to me were the horrible gas cramps. They would feel like someone was stabbing me with a knife! That was probably caused by the tubal procedure instead of the actual c-section. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Just to add another story, I delivered mine naturally, first was 8.5 lbs, the second 9.1. I think the circumference of the head is more an issue than the weight. IMO, these days hospitals are too quick to induce and do c/secs, but that is just my opinion. Read up on the subject listen to your dr. and follow your gut. Do what you feel is right for you and your baby and dont be pressured into doing something you are not comfortable with.
As a nurse I can agree with you that head circumference is more important than weight. I have seen some 7-8 lb babies with large heads.(If you or hubby have large heads or it run s in the family then most likely your baby will too) I have seen some large 10 pound babies with smaller heads than 8 lb babies. Shoulders can also be broad on some not on others and not dependent on weight. I myself had a crash C-section and delivered a 9lb 14 oz girl. I pushed past the 2 hour mark and developed cervical edema. In other words I was dilated to 10 but edema set in and I was at 9-9.5. Usually if that occurs C-sect is imminent which mine was. All good. A bonus is most C-sect babies have pretty shaped heads although within a week all babies heads are pretty! Large hips don't determine whethber you can deliver a large baby. It is the pelvic inlet which is hidden inside. Small petite women can have large pelvic inlets and have small hips and vice versa. The baby passes through the pelvic inlet. I have seen very petite looking women have effortless births of 9 pounders and have seen large boned wide hipped women have trouble getting a 7 pounder out. You can ask your dr when doing a pelvic if you have an average size inlet. They know!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
Relax. Often the ultrasound measurements are off so you may have an 8 or 9 pound baby. Just because the baby may be 10 pounds doesn't mean you will have to have a c-section. Even if you do it is not the end of the world. The worst part of the c-section was the first time getting up from bed and the gas pains. Move around as soon as they let you. Do alot of walking, do not stay in bed all day. I have had 3 c-sections and consider myself an expert.
Also I don't know if any other women have that c-section overhang thing just under the scar. I hate that.
Good luck
Great advice! The sooner you move around the better! Some people have weak backs but try to walk upright even though you may feel the need to walk stooped over. You definitely will get sore back muscles if you do that. Also use a pillow and brace your stomach if you cough!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
FWIW, I recently delivered (vaginally) a 9 lb 11.6 oz girl. No one, including myself, suspected I was carrying a baby that big. But fit she did, and I didn't tear or rip.

It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy