U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-25-2010, 07:39 AM

3,435 posts, read 909,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have a friend whose mother was getting an abortion - was actually in the process of getting it - when she got a "vision" from her unborn child asking to be born. And she got off the table and went home and had her baby. And that baby ended up growing up to become the friend of mine. A mistake to get pregnant, absolutely. But not a mistake to be born. When a woman knows she is pregnant and subsequently gives birth, that baby is NOT a mistake.
That is a beautiful story. I am so happy she decided against the abortion.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-25-2010, 07:49 AM

556 posts, read 362,283 times
I don't think there was a child born in my or my husbands family that wasn't unplanned. Neither of our kids were really "planned". I always knew I wasn't planned.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The problem is with your logic - err, lack of logic and in this case, illogic. You made a quantum leap for this conclusion. The statement, "not planned" does not equal mistake. It means unplanned, not scheduled in, allowed to happen. Where does allowed to happen translate into mistake?

You have to look more closely at your statements/conclusions to see if there is a theme or a commonality in many of your conclusions. I get a sense of negativity when I look at a lot of your posts. A glass which can hold 8 oz of fluid is not half empty when it contains 4 oz, rather it is half-full; unless someone told me that it had originally contained 8 oz but 4 were spilled, in which case I would agree that it was half-empty.

You might not believe me Ny annie but I'm not stupid thank-you.i'm very well educated and capable of forming opinions and backing up my claims. I was told specifically that I was a MISTAKE. I was not told I was not planned etc etc. That is how my mom worded it so I am wording it the same way. I did not start this thread to debate the meaning of words or technicalities like that.
If a couple is using ALL the precautions to avoid getting pregnant and still gets pregnant then the conception of that child is technically a mistake. Perhaps it was caused by making a MISTAKE and not using birth control correctly etc.
Funny I don't remember asking for personal attacks in this thread or asking for anyone's opinions about my outlook on life on whether I am pessimistic or optimistic. I find similar themes running across your posts as well. They all tend to be rather judgmental do they not?
Now why don't we get back on topic? My personality HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:34 AM

15,943 posts, read 11,940,926 times
I think "accident" or "unplanned" are much better words to describe it than "mistake." Mistake implies that the child itself was unwanted. A pregnancy can be unplanned and the child still be wanted IMO.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM

10,497 posts, read 12,647,466 times
She was posting on topic. You asked if any of us were a mistake. She, like I, feel that a child born of a woman who knows she was pregnant, is not a mistake.

Getting pregnant might possibly be a mistake.
Giving birth and not knowing you were pregnant might possibly be a mistake.

Knowing you are pregnant, and then giving birth, is not a mistake. In a country where abortion is legal, giving birth is NOT a mistake. It is something a woman does on purpose. If you're doing it on purpose, then it can't be a mistake. Even if you regret doing it, it isn't a mistake, because you have the option of giving the baby up for adoption.

I think the mistake, is how your mother worded the statement. And I think that's the point we're trying to make with you.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think "accident" or "unplanned" are much better words to describe it than "mistake."

Alright then. If anyone is able to figure out a way to edit my title to their liking then go ahead and do it. Why the nit-picking. I was simply asking if anyone else's conception was not planned

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

15,943 posts, read 11,940,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Alright then. If anyone is able to figure out a way to edit my title to their liking then go ahead and do it. Why the nit-picking. I was simply asking if anyone else's conception was not planned
then ask that. we're not nit-picking. There is a big difference between telling your child the pregnancy was not planned and telling them they were a mistake.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM

746 posts, read 963,147 times
Here we go again.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM

[quote=AnonChick;15618054]She was posting on topic. You asked if any of us were a mistake. She, like I, feel that a child born of a woman who knows she was pregnant, is not a mistake.

Getting pregnant might possibly be a mistake.
Giving birth and not knowing you were pregnant might possibly be a mistake.

Knowing you are pregnant, and then giving birth, is not a mistake. In a country where abortion is legal, giving birth is NOT a mistake. It is something a woman does on purpose. If you're doing it on purpose, then it can't be a mistake. Even if you regret doing it, it isn't a mistake, because you have the option of giving the baby up for adoption.

I think the mistake, is how your mother worded the statement. And I think that's the point we're trying to make with you.[/quote]

I never agreed with the way she worded her statement either.

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Here we go again.

Here we go again what? You can't post a darn thing on this board without receiving sarcastic comments apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy