Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times

Advertisements

Have you ever known someone to get pregnant after Tubal Ligation Surgery ?

I don't mean reversal surgery.

I mean naturally got pregnant after years of a tubal ligation ? Like maybe the tubes healed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,465 times
Gee, that adds a whole new twist to the reality show circuit!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
It happens. Tubal Ligation (http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5482,00.html - broken link)

Failure rates
Occasionally a woman still gets pregnant, despite having had her tubes tied properly. The tubes have evolved in such a way as to try to heal themselves, and sometimes a tract develops that allows egg and sperm to meet. Tubal ligation, regardless of whether the tubes are cut, burned, clipped, banded, or tied, is about 99 percent effective, meaning that about 1 percent of women will conceive an unplanned pregnancy after tubal ligation. This failure occurs slightly more frequently in younger women.

Last edited by okpondlady; 10-03-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: unwanted stuff in the paragraph..

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,562 times
Yes it does. An aunt of mine this happened to and a cousin as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Have you ever known someone to get pregnant after Tubal Ligation Surgery ?

I don't mean reversal surgery.

I mean naturally got pregnant after years of a tubal ligation ? Like maybe the tubes healed ?
Yep. Mother Nature can pull some really nasty tricks! Ten years after the procedure:

Failure rate with the old "cut and tie" method: 0.75% if done immediately after delivery; 2.01% if done later.

Falope ring: 1.77%

Filshie clip: 0.23%

Bipolar coagulation ("burning" with an electric current): 2.48%

Failures occur because the tube recannulates and opens up. Rings and clips can fall off, even if properly applied.

The newest methods involve placing a coil inside the tube from an intrauterine approach. With the Essure procedure, there is an almost zero risk of getting pregnant if proper placement of the coils is confirmed by xray 12 weeks after the coils are placed.

With Adiana, another procedure done via the intrauterine route but slightly different from the Essure, the rate is 1.6% at three years.

Since pregnancies after tubal sterilization can get stuck and grow in the tube (ectopic pregnancy), any woman who has had a tubal sterilization and has a missed period or symptoms of pregnancy should have a pregnancy test done and, if it is positive, testing to rule out an ectopic.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
I had my tubes tied 11 months ago and all I can say is you guys scaring the crap out of me. My OB would not guarantee the procedure 100% but at the same time he told me I don't need to use a back up method of contraception. I had mine cut and burned so how in the heck could they uncauterize themselves and reconnect????

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-04-2010 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I had my tubes tied 11 months ago and all I can say is you guys scaring the crap out of me. My OB would not guarantee the procedure 100% but at the same time he told me I don't need to use a back up method of contraception. I had mine cut and burned so how in the heck could they uncauterize themselves and reconnect????

I had my tubes tied 5 yrs ago and to this day if I am ovulating I make my husband wear a condom, and will continue to do until I reach menopause.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
I had mine done during my c-section earlier this year, with the cut and tie method. I wonder if 32 is old in this context...

My mother had her tubes tied at the same age and didn't get pregnant again, and the woman had 6 kids so she was certainly fertile enough! I have PCOS so it's not that easy for me to start with, but it also means my periods are very irregular so I have no way of knowing I'm pregnant until it shows or I get other symptoms that lead me to take a pregnancy test.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
Yes, it scared the bejesus out of me when I heard about it the first time. I had my tubes tied 13 years ago. I finally decided if I got pregnant again it was an "Act of God" and just meant to be. No I don't want any more children...but that doesn't mean if I got pregnant I would die although I might cry for a bit. Hubby would be cross-eyed for awhile...as would I, but eventually it would be ok. Things like that happen sometimes....

Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
It happens. Tubal Ligation (http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5482,00.html - broken link)

Failure rates
Occasionally a woman still gets pregnant, despite having had her tubes tied properly. The tubes have evolved in such a way as to try to heal themselves, and sometimes a tract develops that allows egg and sperm to meet. Tubal ligation, regardless of whether the tubes are cut, burned, clipped, banded, or tied, is about 99 percent effective, meaning that about 1 percent of women will conceive an unplanned pregnancy after tubal ligation. This failure occurs slightly more frequently in younger women.
Thank you.

I don't mean to scare anyone that has had a TL. I ask for personal reasons.

Most of us would agree that when we get the procedure , we are given a high success rate.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of someone who had a pregnancy despite the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy