Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times

Advertisements

We have a teen pregnancy situation in my family now. The teen wants to keep the baby. The parents are willing to support her and let her and the baby continue to live at home while she finishes school. Unfortunately, their health insurance does not cover maternity care for dependents, so her prenatal care and delivery will not be covered. Also, the baby won't be covered once born. Is there some other option for insurance for teen moms? I know there are state programs if she was on her own, but since she is staying at home they don't think she will be eligible. Does anyone know about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,727 times
I think Medicaid is available for expecting women, and it covers the child after he or she is born as well.

The Dr. I used to see was a HUGE medicaid dr. and almost everyone that came through the door had medicaid. They (I overheard the girls talking) said that medicaid is offered for pregnant women, even if they had insurance but couldn't afford the premium or the deductibles. I know our maternity insurance is pricey, but it covers everything.

I suppose the best way to find out is call maybe the HHS office in your area and ask them. Or, if they don't maybe a low cost clinic could see her through her prenatal care. I know one of my girlfriends paid cash to her Dr. for prenatal care and delivery and she got a good break in cost.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,209 times
I am almost 100% positive she can get Medicaid for herself and the baby.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
There are state level programs through Medicaid she would probably qualify for & most, if not all of the time, are confidental b/w patient/doctor.
She will be able to get WIC & probably can get info through WIC on prenatal care.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
In addition to suggestions everyone else offered, it's important to talk to her high school counselor. Her counselor can connect her with all sorts of services.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
The parents are under the impression that she won't qualify for medicaid if she lives at home with them because they will take the whole family's income into account and the parents will make too much to qualify. They think she would only qualify if she was on her own. Is this incorrect?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The parents are under the impression that she won't qualify for medicaid if she lives at home with them because they will take the whole family's income into account and the parents will make too much to qualify. They think she would only qualify if she was on her own. Is this incorrect?
I think it is incorrect. They really need to call and check because I am pretty sure all teen pregnancy is automatic coverage through Medicaid.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

I just did some google searches. It appears the OP may be correct. North Carolina does take into consideration the parents' income of pregnant teenagers.

Quote:
Parents' income does count for pregnant teen.

http://www.catawbacountync.gov/dss/eligible.asp
The OP should post a thread in the North Carolina forum to get advice from people who live in her state regarding other programs that might be helpful.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I would DEFINITELY talk to someone about the Medicaid option, and not just make the assumption that the parents' income will be taken into account. I don't think that's correct. I wouldn't just take a simple "no" for an answer, either; keep asking, or asking for advice on who COULD help. It's not in the state's interest to have women out there who can't afford to get prenatal care or have a baby, so there is presumably some kind of assistance available. The details will vary by state, though.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 AM

OMG! 30 states consider the income of a pregnant teen's parents when determining eligebility for Medicaid.

Quote:
Basis of Income Eligibility for Pregnant Teenagers
In the case of pregnant teenagers, determining Medicaid eligibility can be complicated.
Depending on specific living arrangements, different sources of income are counted to
determine income eligibility, including the teen’s, the teen’s parents, and the teen’s spouse.
Many states attach income eligibility criteria for pregnant teenagers to the teen’s residence.
For example, Arizona considers the income of the pregnant teen’s parents if the teen is less
than 18 years of age, lives with a parent, and is not married; however, if the pregnant teen does
not live with a parent, is over 18, or is married, then her own income is counted. Furthermore, if
the pregnant teen is married, her spouse’s income is also included in determining income
eligibility. In some states, such as Florida and Idaho, both the income of the parents and the
pregnant teen’s own income are counted, no matter the teen’s residence.
In order to determine income eligibility for pregnant teenagers:
�� 30 states and DC consider the income of the pregnant teenager’s parents;
�� 33 states and DC consider the pregnant teenager’s own income; and
�� 3 states respond that they consider the income of the pregnant teenager’s spouse (if the
teenager is married).

http://www.kff.org/womenshealth/upload/8014.pdf
There's a chart on page 11 listing all of the states. (My state considers parents' income too!)

Info is missing for North Carolina though, but it doesn't look good for the OP's relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy