Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 16,731 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Q: The issue of cesarean sections can be a sensitive topic. There are several pros and cons to delivering via cesarean:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]PROs
+ Can save mother or baby’s lives
+ Convenient and quicker
+ A quick response to fetal in distress & breech presentation
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]CONS
- Complications from surgery and longer recovery time
- Operation is being used too frequently when not needed
- Very expensive for families

The current rate of cesareans is the US is 32%. Research suggests that it could be lowered to 15% and still be safe for mothers and babies. Given the pros and cons of cesareans, do you think efforts should be made to reduce the national rate? and Why do you feel this way?
[/SIZE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,506,774 times
Sounds like someone is writing a paper for school....

Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,921,888 times
I feel like I'm in a high school English class with a persuasive essay topic...

Yes, I feel like births are too medicalized in the US these days, and 32% C-section rate is way too high. C-section is also associated with decreased breastfeeding rates, if you are looking for another con.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,203,724 times
I had an unplanned, non-emergency c-section with my son. I was up and walking without much discomfort the next day, and off all pain meds in three days. I also breastfed my son with no problems whatsoever since he was born.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,672,112 times
i had 2 vaginal deliveries. both induced for emergency medical reasons. No epidural on first one (dilated too fast), had an epi on the second and was much happier

re c sections - i think too many people may use them for convenience, or a belief that its 'easier' or heaven knows why else, but i also know there are situations where they are necessary.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,179,332 times
Yes, I think efforts should be made to reduce the rate of cesareans closer to the recommended rate of 15%. It's major surgery and comes with inherent risks. Reserving it for true emergencies seems like a step in the right direction. The natural birth proccess is complex and imo, steps should be taken to allow that proccess to take place naturally on it's own with as little medical intervention as possible.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,273,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
. The natural birth proccess is complex and imo, steps should be taken to allow that proccess to take place naturally on it's own with as little medical intervention as possible.
You had me until your last sentence. If the "steps" you allude to are legal, I'm completely against your line of thinking.

I think women who want C/sections should be allowed them- hopefully it would be chosen for medical reasons and not for "convenience."

However, I would like to see every doctor stop "selling" the C -Section as a "must have"- I don't like that they're scheduled out of convenience so that dr doesn't have to get out of bed at 2am or on his day off to deliver a baby.

It is MAJOR surgery with a fair amount of risk and I think that fact is too easily "glossed over" in today's world.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,076 times
The "convenience" c-sections are far too common. "Oh, I'm afraid of the pain of labor so I have to have a c-section". Give me a break. I've had a 10 lb baby, twins, and a breech. No problems. I think c-sections should ONLY be used for emergencies when the life of the mother or baby is at stake.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,070 times
My understanding is that the high rate of c-sections in the US is due in large part to the fact that so many pregnant women are overweight which can cause numerous complications during the pregnancy and delivery.

An OB/GYN friend recently told me that doctors are maybe too quick to do a c-section to avoid complications, thus lawsuits that can arise during a v-delivery.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,211,872 times
Are you trying to get us to do your homework for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy