U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 143,368 times
Default Are hcg levels supposed to drop at a certain point??? HELP

After 1 live birth and two miscarriages (7 weeks and 10 weeks, neither ever finding a heartbeat) I am 10 weeks again. I had quantative hcg done at 4-5 weeks and 7-8 weeks (at 8 weeks they were 77,000 after more than doubling each time). . . soooo, I was so very sick, lots of vomit and hardly an appetite, unable to get out of bed, sore breasts and frequent urination lots of tears and all. . . But at 9 weeks 3 days I woke up feeling GREAT! Only the nausea had gone away and I started eating really well. . But it started to make me worry that the symptoms of nausea just up and left. So, I had my doc do another hcg at 9w4d and they had gone down from two weeks ago to 66,000. . I had the 48hour follow up in the ER and and ultrasound. the hcg levels dropped to 47,000 and there is a strong heartbeat and movement. . . ER doc says it's not good to be dropping BUT the baby is alive right now and that's all he can say. . A midwife i know says that levels can drop anywhere from 8-12 weeks and why would they do an hcg at 9-10 weeks when it's non conclusive because an average women's SHOULD drop/taper off around then and as long as there is a heartbeat all is good???? As of today I am exactly 10w1d

What should I be thinking? Doing? The ER doc said check hcg one more time in 2-5 days to be sure they don't go too low but what's too low?? are they "supposed" to drop???

I am trying not to worry, but it's not that easy

(I only have the ER doc right now and a clinic without ob's or midwives at this point. if the pregnancy lasts to 2nd trimester I will transfer to the doc who would deliver but they are far away right now and we have not moved yet.)

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,070,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeangels View Post
After 1 live birth and two miscarriages (7 weeks and 10 weeks, neither ever finding a heartbeat) I am 10 weeks again. I had quantative hcg done at 4-5 weeks and 7-8 weeks (at 8 weeks they were 77,000 after more than doubling each time). . . soooo, I was so very sick, lots of vomit and hardly an appetite, unable to get out of bed, sore breasts and frequent urination lots of tears and all. . . But at 9 weeks 3 days I woke up feeling GREAT! Only the nausea had gone away and I started eating really well. . But it started to make me worry that the symptoms of nausea just up and left. So, I had my doc do another hcg at 9w4d and they had gone down from two weeks ago to 66,000. . I had the 48hour follow up in the ER and and ultrasound. the hcg levels dropped to 47,000 and there is a strong heartbeat and movement. . . ER doc says it's not good to be dropping BUT the baby is alive right now and that's all he can say. . A midwife i know says that levels can drop anywhere from 8-12 weeks and why would they do an hcg at 9-10 weeks when it's non conclusive because an average women's SHOULD drop/taper off around then and as long as there is a heartbeat all is good???? As of today I am exactly 10w1d

What should I be thinking? Doing? The ER doc said check hcg one more time in 2-5 days to be sure they don't go too low but what's too low?? are they "supposed" to drop???

I am trying not to worry, but it's not that easy

(I only have the ER doc right now and a clinic without ob's or midwives at this point. if the pregnancy lasts to 2nd trimester I will transfer to the doc who would deliver but they are far away right now and we have not moved yet.)
Yes - HCG levels rise very fast once there is a baby, the placenta produces them - they spike rapidly and then decrease to lower levels.

Morning sickness is the result of these hormones and is a good sign -but that's first trimester. By 13 weeks gestation they begin to drop - and some of the early symptoms of pregnancy along with them.

HCG Levels in Pregnancy

Also consider that dates of conception aren't always accurate.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,070,956 times
And - lab tests are not always completely accurate. Especially if you're in some remote area - no OB doctors and maybe less than state of the art laboratories or the lab work is sent off to some far away location and specimen integrity isn't always guaranteed.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes - HCG levels rise very fast once there is a baby, the placenta produces them - they spike rapidly and then decrease to lower levels.

Morning sickness is the result of these hormones and is a good sign -but that's first trimester. By 13 weeks gestation they begin to drop - and some of the early symptoms of pregnancy along with them.

HCG Levels in Pregnancy

Also consider that dates of conception aren't always accurate.

Would you think it matters if I know the exact date of conception (only one chance) and it correlates perfectly with the ultrasound??

And, some places (american preg ass) and others say they drop from 8-11 weeks some say 9-12 some say after 12 .. . so it's hard to find any partial peace of mind. Not looking for a 100% answer just some sort of scale/facts that I can stick to

Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM

9,343 posts, read 9,064,816 times
Quote:
Would you think it matters if I know the exact date of conception (only one chance) and it correlates perfectly with the ultrasound??

And, some places (american preg ass) and others say they drop from 8-11 weeks some say 9-12 some say after 12 .. . so it's hard to find any partial peace of mind. Not looking for a 100% answer just some sort of scale/facts that I can stick to

All of the places you have found are really telling you the same thing: that it is normal for HCG levels to drop toward the end of the first trimester. The placenta is getting busy doing other things and has cut back on HCG production. One of the major functions of HCG is to support the production of hormones by the corpus luteum, the site in the ovary from which the egg that became the pregnancy was released. By about 10 weeks, those hormones are being made by the placenta. The corpus luteum is no longer needed --- theoretically the ovaries could be removed at that point and not harm the pregnancy.

See here:

Fundamentals of physiology: a human ... - Google Books

See page 617 and figure 18-23.

It looks like you have a healthy pregnancy this time! Congratulations!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All of the places you have found are really telling you the same thing: that it is normal for HCG levels to drop toward the end of the first trimester. The placenta is getting busy doing other things and has cut back on HCG production. One of the major functions of HCG is to support the production of hormones by the corpus luteum, the site in the ovary from which the egg that became the pregnancy was released. By about 10 weeks, those hormones are being made by the placenta. The corpus luteum is no longer needed --- theoretically the ovaries could be removed at that point and not harm the pregnancy.

See here:

Fundamentals of physiology: a human ... - Google Books

See page 617 and figure 18-23.

It looks like you have a healthy pregnancy this time! Congratulations!

Thanks a lot. That graph really helped.

I think I'm a bit put off that the PA/CNA's would make me worry so about the dropping levels AND that they would even test them at 10 weeks AND that the ER doctor would say they ONLY rise and that ANY drop is not ok. . . I should have just trusted my body to begin with. . .

Thanks for the info everyone

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM

9,343 posts, read 9,064,816 times
Quote:

I think I'm a bit put off that the PA/CNA's would make me worry so about the dropping levels AND that they would even test them at 10 weeks AND that the ER doctor would say they ONLY rise and that ANY drop is not ok. . . I should have just trusted my body to begin with. . .

You're welcome!

Suzy Q

Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I paid out of pocket to see an obgyn today. . . She said it's strange to test levels after 8 weeks AND especially if you find a heartbeat after that point because once levels are high enough to see a baby, they start to decline and taper off. . .

Heard heartbeat on doppler too at 10 weeks 3 days

So far so good

I think I will lay off the docs/nurses for a few months

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,512,605 times
Quote:

That's because they are not Ob! Most people have limited understanding of pregnancy aside from "dropping HCG means early miscarriage"!!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 23,728 times
I had a + pregnancy test and went to a Doctor assigned by my insurance.first of all he is not an OBGYN he is a family practice doctor who sees prenatal patients til theyare 2moths from delivery and the he sends them 2 the doctor who will del.iver them.Fist he told me my Progesterone was low and I wasgoing to need shots.He did an u/s and we saw a heartbeat the u/s measured the baby at 6wks eventhougth my lmp said I was 8wks he told my husband I mostlikely ovulated late the heartrate was 70 he said not to worry because we caught the pregnancy really early.He sent me 2 check my levels and called me 2 days later because I left a very worried message on his pager and told me my progesterone was a lil low but that all I needed was progesterone shots.He called me the following day Saturday asked me 2 come in for my 1st shot and u/s.We saw the heartbeat again and now it went up 90 he was pleased.He tells me 2 come back friday 4 u/s and shot I did an this time I saw a woman who shares the office with him who gave me a very bad vibe and I was right she gave me the worst news she sent me 2 check my levels and called me on a Sunday night at 9 p.m. to tell me my levels went down and she wants 2 stop the shots and I should wait 4 wks with my dead fetus according 2 her and wait for my body 2 expell the product if my body doesn t then we ll discuss a D&C or other options. I can t leave out that she admitted not doing many vaginal u/s.I have 2 healthy daughters and no history of miscarriages and withthis pregnancy I have no cramping or pains or bleeding whatsoever.Should I get a second opinion?

Last edited by medinagrisele; 04-16-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy