Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM

422 posts, read 647,636 times

Advertisements

Ooh, thats gonna make me answer to prove you're wrong right ? If I'm brash sorry to offend but In re reading I was just being honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Ooh, thats gonna make me answer to prove you're wrong right ? If I'm brash sorry to offend but In re reading I was just being honest.
Never mind, you did answer the question. Sorry, but "just being honest" and "I'm not PC" is not a good enough excuse for being rude. Carry on.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Actually being non PC is commonly referred to as rude. Just because I don't take the every decision is as good as the next path doesn't make me rude but hey..Have a nice Day

Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
Quote:
I think like everything it's a choice. It does seem these days that people are delaying it longer and longer for selfish reasons in an effort to design what they feel is perfect for their plans and don't give much thought to how it will affect the children. I WANTED TO...WELL WE WANTED TO....first. Children have become like an accesory that gets added after everything "important" is finished.
This isn't for real, is it? People are delaying having kids because they're getting married older or aren't in a relationship at a younger age, or yes, maybe they're working or establishing a career; plenty of people feel that they simply can't afford to have kids at an earlier age and still provide them with a decent quality of life. I've been around a lot of "older" parents (am not one myself), and they're generally NOT the people I would ever accuse of treating their kids like "accessories."

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,522,841 times
I had my daughter when I was 37, hubby was 41. This was my first and only child (I was not able to have more, 5 miscarriages after her) and I don't regret it for one minute! My husband has 3 from a previous marriage. She is the joy of my life and the reason I love getting up in the morning. She is 9 now and she keeps me on my toes. I do hate it when people tell her, "your Grandmother is here to pick you up, or, "is that your Grandmother?" But she just tells them no that's my Mom. I'm glad I had her later in life because I have a lot more patience now then when I was younger and we are finacially able to give her not only what she needs, but some of what she wants also.

I say congratulations to you!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,522,841 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion including me. I think it's the same mentality that makes parents sooo excited to have children, Look at the sonogram, decorate the nursery, take a few pictures for their desk, and then find the nearest paid stranger to pawn them off on so they can get back to what's "important". Also, my opinion and I've seen enough to know that it won't change.

This is quite an amusing obersvation considering from my own experiences it is the people who have children at a younger age that pawn them off on the nearest stranger. If you mean by "imortant" having finacial security and maturity then you are right, those are the important things to have before having children. I see more younger couples/single parents putting their children in daycare for 8 to 10 hours a day just so they can make ends meet. I personally think people should wait until they are older and more secure before having children.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 PM

144 posts, read 306,407 times
Quote:
Just curious princess, how old were you when you had your children?.
Quote:
To answer I don't discuss my family on open forums.
Um, this is called a PARENTING FORUM and that is part of what we do here. So please move on over to another forum that may better suit you if you feel that way.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 AM

I wasn't aware that disclosing my personal life was required to participate in a public forum. If that is in the rules i would like to read it.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,157,225 times
I'm 38, will be 39 in Sept. I can not have children, but if I could get pregnant now and have a child, I'd drop everything I was doing on the spot to achieve that. Even if I was 45, I'd do it. If I had my choice I'd rather be an "old" first time mom, than never a first time mom at all. I guess to some people that is really selfish because by the time that child would be my age (45) I'd be 90, assuming I lived to be that old at all. There was a time that my POV would have been that it was just selfish and not in the best interest of the child.

But I am older now, and freely admit that life is short so enjoy it while you have it, and my perspective these days is that if you're not doing what you really want to do because of what bad thing might happen, then you might as well just go ahead and do whatever it is you want to do, because risk is not certainty. And life is nothing but risk anyway, really. I mean, if you think about it, just the act alone of getting out of bed in the morning actually increases your odds of dying that day, even if just marginally!

Like, say you've always thought sky diving looked really cool and you would just love to give it a go, but the idea that the chute might not open is the one thing that has kept you from doing it........then you might as well go ahead and just do the dive, because while the risk of the chute not opening is there, it's less likely to happen, and you're more likely to enjoy it, live to tell the tale, having the experience to remember. You know?

"I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful.....than a life time of nothing special." -- Shelby, Steel Magnolias.

I don't know. Maybe Shelby and I have a very effed up way of looking at things.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 736 times
Default Congratulations!

Congratulations! I have 2 boys from a previous marriage that are 15 and 21(enlisted marine). Oorah! I remarried 2 years ago and Im now expecting at 45 yrs. I had many people comment "At your age? You have 2 grown boys." I just smile. I was very shocked since I am looking at retiring in 12 years with my company. But my husband and I are both overjoyed.

I also work on a labor and delivery unit and seeing expecting moms over 40 is not uncommon.I would just add make sure you keep your appointment and notify doctor of any concerns.

I'm shocked at the conversation and how some think death after 50 is imminent. Things do happen; however, 50 is very young. My grandparents (even with one being a cancer survivor) both passed away in their 80s. My mother is 70 and still works part time to keep herself busy.

I have inherited my familys blood pressure problems so preeclampsia does worry me a little. But my blood pressure is well controlled. Other than that Im very healthy. You cant obsess about what might happen. Life is a blessing. Don't waste a moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy