Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,634,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You got very lucky not to have a child with Downs syndrome or autism, and I'm really happy for you.

You took your chances and I'm glad it worked out.

But for me, the risks are far too great for me to consider having kids over 40 on purpose.
Oh fer pete's sake. HERE: Down syndrome: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

Quote:
Advancing maternal age.
Quote:
A woman's chances of giving birth to a child with Down syndrome increase with age because older eggs have a greater risk of improper chromosome division. By age 35, a woman's risk of conceiving a child with Down syndrome is 1 in 400. By age 45, the risk is 1 in 35.
(emphasis added)

I get that 1 in 35 is almost 3%, and that that is substantial (especially compared to less than 1 in a thousand, for example), but I'd say that hitting the 34 in 35 chance of our kid not having downs is hardly "very lucky"

Oh, and as for autism: Autism: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

Quote:
Parents' ages.
Quote:
Having an older father (being 40 or older) may increase a child's risk of autism. There may also be a connection between children being born to older mothers and autism, but more research is necessary.
(emphasis added)

So, so much for the terrible increased risk of autism if one gets pregnant over age 40.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a stickler about actual statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,501,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Oh fer pete's sake. HERE: Down syndrome: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

[b] (emphasis added)

I get that 1 in 35 is almost 3%, and that that is substantial (especially compared to less than 1 in a thousand, for example), but I'd say that hitting the 34 in 35 chance of our kid not having downs is hardly "very lucky"

Oh, and as for autism: Autism: Risk factors - MayoClinic.com

[b] (emphasis added)

So, so much for the terrible increased risk of autism if one gets pregnant over age 40.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a stickler about actual statistics.

1 in 35 - you actually LIKE those odds?? REALLY?? Maybe if we were playing the lottery.

When it comes to things like Downs and autism 1 in 1000 is too risky for me.

But to each his own

Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
1 in 35 - you actually LIKE those odds?? REALLY?? Maybe if we were playing the lottery.

When it comes to things like Downs and autism 1 in 1000 is too risky for me.

But to each his own
If 1 in 1,000 is "too risky", than for God's sake, be sure not to have a child after age 29: Down syndrome | Baby | March of Dimes

Quote:
Does the risk of Down syndrome increase with the mother’s age?
Yes. The risk of Down syndrome increases with the mother’s age (7):
  • At age 25, the risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is 1 in 1,250.
  • At age 30, the risk is 1 in 1,000.
  • At age 35, the risk is 1 in 400.
  • At age 40, the risk is 1 in 100.
  • At age 45, the risk is 1 in 30.
I note that they put the risk of Down at age 45 as 1 in 30, rather than 1 in 35, so my "about 3% is probably as close as one can guesstimate.

Now, yes, I get that 1 in 30 is much higher than one would like. But to say one got "very lucky" not to have a kids with Down syndrome implies something other than a 29 in 30 or 34 in 35 chance of, ya know, Not Having Down Syndrome. Normally, 97% constitutes "the vast majority" of a population.

Are there considerably higher risk factors to having a kid at age 45? Yes. Are the VAST MAJORITY of children born at age 45 perfectly healthy? Yes.

If one doesn't want to have a kid at age 45, for whatever reason, then they shouldn't. But people doing so aren't dodging incredible odds to have a healthy, normal child (assuming that they are able to conceive, which is generally the most difficult aspect of having a kid at an advanced age).

Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
If 1 in 1,000 is "too risky", than for God's sake, be sure not to have a child after age 29: Down syndrome | Baby | March of Dimes

I was very careful to have my last child by age 30 for this very reason

Again, others are free to play the odds if they wish.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I was very careful to have my last child by age 30 for this very reason

Again, others are free to play the odds if they wish.
Well, my wife and I didn't even meet until she was 36, so that wouldn't have worked for us.

I know, she could've married someone when she was in her 20's and had a kid then. Of course, had she done that both her and her then-husband would've been miserable and likely divorced before very long and that wouldn't have been very good for whatever kid they would have had then, but hey, at least she would've dodged the 1 in 1,000 chance of Down syndrome.

Just saying, everyone's life is different, for various reasons.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Well, my wife and I didn't even meet until she was 36, so that wouldn't have worked for us.

I know, she could've married someone when she was in her 20's and had a kid then. Of course, had she done that both her and her then-husband would've been miserable and likely divorced before very long and that wouldn't have been very good for whatever kid they would have had then, but hey, at least she would've dodged the 1 in 1,000 chance of Down syndrome.

Just saying, everyone's life is different, for various reasons.
Yep, in life timing is everything.

I was highly motivated to have a husband and children, so I arranged my life that way from a young age.

But I completely understand that others have their own path to take!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 AM

25,794 posts, read 21,956,597 times
We adopted an 4 week old infant with Down syndrome 25 years ago when we were in our early 30's. Our son was born to a 17 year old mother. I think that anyone becoming pregnant, especially these days, has to think about the possibilities as so many more issues are showing up, especially autism. I'm thinking that if there is a disability that you find so off-putting that you could not accept your own child with it, you should consider never having children. There is actually a woman in Ohio, herself an adoptive mother of special needs children, that coordinates adoptions of babies/children with Down syndrome and she is at this website along with a wealth of information about our children: Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati and she has a waiting list of people waiting for babies/children with Down syndrome. Yes, people standing in line filled with hope that they will get "the call". It is tough to be a mother of a child with Down syndrome and read threads like this and even tougher knowing that many of these children, once conceived, never see the light of day. I will always remember the day that we the got the call saying a baby, a little boy was available and the agency wanted to meet us - seems like yesterday. We have two wonderful children of which we are very proud.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,971,182 times
When our genetic counselor gave us the list of syndromes our daughter might have I was praying for Down syndrome. It turned out to (probably) be another type of chromosomal abnormality. I was 33 by the way. Not exactly a spring chicken in reproductive terms, but not considered advanced maternal age either.

In thinking about trying again my husband and I are considering our financial situation versus the risks of my aging eggs. I used to really freak out about having a baby after 35 but having been on the bad end of very tiny odds, they just don't mean that much anymore. It's just one factor among many to take into consideration. I would loved to have been married and ready for kids in my early 20s. If I could have "arranged" to meet my husband any sooner I surely would have!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,105,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCC View Post
We could not imagine my parents without kids in the home. We -my two siblings and I -convinced them (after we had all decided) it was time for them to have another addition to the family. Dad and mom loved the idea.
As we had all left home and were on our "own" and independent of financial stresses upon them, my little brother arrived through an uncomplicated and natural birth and brought so much joy into the family we could never imagine it any other way.
Mom was 45 and dad was 48 at the time. Both have passed today and although each of my siblings live on different continents, have remained to be extremely close and never a three day period goes by without being in touch, as well as yearly get-togethers with their families and extended families.
The happiness that my little brother (now 43) has brought each of us has been something we all cherish.
...... The positives that this will bring are far more enjoyable and don't pay too much attention to the naysayers and negatives remarks.
If it feels good, and it's what you want, then go for it.
I don't understand this at all. I would think empty nesters would look forward to pursuing their own hobbies and interests, and just plain resting after 20 something years of raising kids. I really don't understand why you and your siblings were the ones to come up with the idea To each their own, but this makes no sense to me at all.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We adopted an 4 week old infant with Down syndrome 25 years ago when we were in our early 30's. Our son was born to a 17 year old mother. I think that anyone becoming pregnant, especially these days, has to think about the possibilities as so many more issues are showing up, especially autism. I'm thinking that if there is a disability that you find so off-putting that you could not accept your own child with it, you should consider never having children. There is actually a woman in Ohio, herself an adoptive mother of special needs children, that coordinates adoptions of babies/children with Down syndrome and she is at this website along with a wealth of information about our children: Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati and she has a waiting list of people waiting for babies/children with Down syndrome. Yes, people standing in line filled with hope that they will get "the call". It is tough to be a mother of a child with Down syndrome and read threads like this and even tougher knowing that many of these children, once conceived, never see the light of day. I will always remember the day that we the got the call saying a baby, a little boy was available and the agency wanted to meet us - seems like yesterday. We have two wonderful children of which we are very proud.
You are an amazing mom and I'm so happy that you and your family are happy, and I hope healthy

I was always prepared to love every baby I had, irregardless of any health issue.

My point was that I did not want to purposely risk having children with issues by planning to have them over 40. To do so is extremely irresponsible to me.

If I had not married until later I would have either adopted or just accepted the fact that I was not meant to be a mother (not everyone is and it's not a "right" as some people seem to think).

Down's syndrome children are the sweetest of the sweet and having one would not been upsetting because of how I would have been impacted. Instead I would have been extremely upset for the child and the way he/she would have suffered.

Having a special needs child is not for the faint of heart, as I know you know But I am so glad to know there are parents like you in the world who were up to the challenges and rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy