Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
Why do some women do it?

They know its bad for the baby, so why are they harming their child?

Do you think it shows how they'll be as a parent?

My ex-best friend smoked during her entire pregnancy. Her reason? "Oh everything is so stressful. My husband is being mean to me and I'm just so stressed! Now is not the time to quit smoking with all this stress!" She said her doctor told her it was okay to smoke while pregnant. Really?! How was this doctor allowed to graduate from medical school?!

Fast forward two years later and she abandon her son and took off to Mississippi and now works for a circus and lived with a man who beats her. Even before she left, she was always mean to her baby. If he cried while she was trying to eat, she yelled at him.
Sounds like you answered your own question with your little anecdote there about your ex-friend: they do it because they're stupid, self-centered people. It's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The RISKS are higher, but the odds are still that the baby will be healthy.
It worked out for you and your child...but how would you be living with yourself today if she had turned out to be one of the unlucky ones who ended up stillborn or with other serious complications because of your decision to smoke? Even if it is more likely than not that the child will be fine, that's not a risk that sounds worth it.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:26 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Actually yes i am(at least it has to do with it), there is a connection from SIDS and smoking (proven FACT)...
Babies from smoking parents are 5 times, let me say that again 5 TIMES more like to die from SIDS.
Look it up...
Correlation does not equal causation. NO ONE knows what causes SIDS.

The majority of babies who have died from SIDS were not children of smokers either.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sounds like you answered your own question with your little anecdote there about your ex-friend: they do it because they're stupid, self-centered people. It's really that simple.
Oh yes ma'am. It really is just that simple. GMAFB

Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM

117 posts, read 106,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Correlation does not equal causation. NO ONE knows what causes SIDS.

The majority of babies who have died from SIDS were not children of smokers either.

It's a risk factor. Do you really want to take that chance and smoke around a baby
In either case it's not healthy for adults but it is their choice to keep smoking because they are addicted. Why subject a baby to that crap?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Exactly

Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
It's a risk factor. Do you really want to take that chance and smoke around a baby
In either case it's not healthy for adults but it is their choice to keep smoking because they are addicted. Why subject a baby to that crap?
No I "really don't want to take that chance" but I am also not going to read BS scare tactics and quotes that are either flat out wrong or spun in such a way as to make them seem more threatening than they really are.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
Exactly
LOL

Ok. These threads always crack me up with the self righteous BS like this and the post you quoted.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
No I "really don't want to take that chance" but I am also not going to read BS scare tactics and quotes that are either flat out wrong or spun in such a way as to make them seem more threatening than they really are.

Is smoking good for you? We all know it isn't. Why would you willingly smoke around an innocent child

Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
LOL

Ok. These threads always crack me up with the self righteous BS like this and the post you quoted.

It's not BS. It's called the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy