Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times

Advertisements

Lay midwives, certified professional midwives and certified nurse midwives can perform homebirths. Most homebirth midwives are CPM's. All hospital midwives are CNM's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Lay midwives, certified professional midwives and certified nurse midwives can perform homebirths. Most homebirth midwives are CPM's. All hospital midwives are CNM's.
CNMs can perform home births, but most can't get physician back-up to do so. It puts them in a risky situation, legally.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CNMs can perform home births, but most can't get physician back-up to do so. It puts them in a risky situation, legally.
True. A CNM would not have a physician overseeing her patient's care if she performed homebirths. If the midwife's patient became high risk during her pregnancy, the patient would transfer care to an OBGYN. If an emergency situation arose during the labor and/or delivery the midwife would transfer her patient to the closest hospital and the patient would see the doctor on duty.

All homebirth midwives are at risk, legally since they can be sued if anything goes wrong.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,762,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really? I have a lot of friends who had/ have home births (I didn't because a VBAC makes it illegal for a midwife or doctor to attend in my state, plus my husband was uncomfortable with it). All the mamas had a doctor back up, and usually went to him at least once, for the 20 week ultrasound. Even those who chose to not do the anatomical u/s usually went for one appointment around 36 weeks for the doctor to "sign off" on the homebirth.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,931 times
Default midwife definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
I have one child and might try for another one in the next year (I'm getting anxious that I might be pregnant right now actually) and over the last several months have considered a midwife this time around. I have some major questions though, and really should call a couple of local places, but I want to ask here too.
With my first, I had an epidural and really think I'm going to need that the next time around. Is that an option if I go to a midwife? And do midwives deliver in a hospital if I prefer?
What are some major pros/cons I should think about?
Any information on midwives would be great.

(If I end up taking a positive test this week, I'll definitely be calling some midwives in my area, asap!)
I recommend you get a midwife , specifically ISIS ob/gyn. I have had 3 births with them all midwives and I absolutly love them. I had a epidural with my first but them had 2 waterbirths after with the next two. I highly recommend a midwife and waterbirths. In my opinion there are no cons since they stay with you and make sure your needs are always met. I hope this helps.
You can find them at Atlanta Midwifery.com and they are on facebook or call thier office at 770 521 2229 , I love Kim Storey CNM

Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momallboys64 View Post
I recommend you get a midwife , specifically ISIS ob/gyn. I have had 3 births with them all midwives and I absolutly love them. I had a epidural with my first but them had 2 waterbirths after with the next two. I highly recommend a midwife and waterbirths. In my opinion there are no cons since they stay with you and make sure your needs are always met. I hope this helps.
You can find them at Atlanta Midwifery.com and they are on facebook or call thier office at 770 521 2229 , I love Kim Storey CNM
AlaMommy is in New Mexico. That would be quite a commute for prenatal care and delivery!

Laws vary from state to state on home births.

I think you wil find that the care for an uncompliated delivery will be very similar whether you have a certified nurse midwife or an obstetrician. Individual personalities vary. It is possible to get a snarky midwife and it is possible to get an obstetrician who is kind and considerate.

An apparently normal labor can become complicated very quickly. Anyone who chooses a home birth has to accept the risk of possibly losing a baby who could have been saved in a hospital setting.

Delivery in a hospital or a birthing center attached to a hospital provides rapid access to surgical facilities in the event that a complication requring emergency Cesarean section occurs. Calling an ambulance, waiting for it to arrive, being transferred to a hospital, being admitted and transferred to the OB floor all consume valuable time. In most hospitals, a Cesarean could be done in the time it would take to get a laboring woman from her home to a hospital.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Homebirth is legal in NM. I don't think it's the best option for the OP since she already knows that she wants and epidural. But it is an excellent option for any woman who has a low risk pregnancy and wishes to give birth at home.

Studies show that a planned home birth for a low risk woman with a professional midwife is as safe as a planned hospital birth.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM

175 posts, read 295,876 times
OK, I'll be crucified for this, but my opinion (and experience) counts as much as anyone else's, especially since I have 7 children.
I believe God gave us medical science to thrive. And when midwives were all a woman could get, that is what we used. But I believed that my births would be better with midwives also, and here's what the various outcomes were:
1st baby, uncomplicated pregnancy. Midwife took care during pregnancy, and at the beginning of labor. But after my labor had lasted about 16 hours (it ended up being 20 total), she was done and went home, and a doctor completed the delivery.
2nd baby, due on Christmas. 4 days before, I'm in pain and contracting every few minutes. But I couldn't really be in labor, kept getting sent home by the midwife. Finally on Christmas Eve, my husband had had enough of the midwife telling us not to bother going in, that I wasn't in actual labor, and he drove me to the hospital while the contractions were still every few minutes; When I got there I was at 10cm and delivered in under 45 minutes by a doctor. When I asked why I kept getting told to go home, a nurse had said, "Yeah, that midwife hates working holidays."
Third baby, different hospital, let's try this again. That midwife was sure nothing was wrong that I wasn't feeling my baby move much, even being a week overdue. She didn't need to check my cervix or call for an ultrasound, we'll just schedule for me to be induced, since it's such a "low-risk" pregnancy and I'm an experienced mom (I really wanted that ultrasound, but apparently she knew better). So I'm induced, and she's got me pushing, when suddenly she's like, "Oh, this baby's not doing good." So they put me into surgery for an emergency c-section,and he's not breathing and blue. The doctors resuscitate him and take him away to a better hospital across town, and I was bawling my eyes out being the only mom in post-partum without a baby, and scared something would happen to my baby in the other hospital before I could see him.
After that c-section I was never able to deliver naturally again. And, had I been in a birthing center or at home, my son would have died, even though it had been a "medically low-risk" pregnancy.

My thoughts are, that I see the best doctors in the best hospitals for myself. I go to the doctor when a muscle hurts too much, or when I think my finger might need a stitch cause I cut it, or any number of minor things. I see a doctor even when I have my eyes checked. Why on earth wouldn't I be as good to my baby? Doesn't my baby get to start life with the best doctors in the best hospitals too? Why would I get better health care than my child?

I have to add this...my son is 7 now, the one that almost died during delivery. I do feel guilty, to this day, about what pain my choice of a more "old-fashioned delivery" caused my sweet little boy. I hope, with all my heart, that no new mom ever has to see her baby laying on a small table, blue and not breathing, arms and legs sprawled out instead of curled into a tiny ball like new babies usually are. They had us take a picture then, in case he didn't make it. I still can't look at that picture.

Last edited by thebpseven; 01-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: one final thought

Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,928,130 times
I am so sorry for what happened to you bpseven, but that experience is just not typical. For example, the midwives I know do not order a medical induction as you have described. The method of induction alone may have stressed your baby. It is impossible to know in hindsight.

For anyone thinking of hiring ANY birth practitioner, for in hospital or out of hospital birth, start your list of questions immediately. Take them, in writing, to the first consultation. Do not leave until all questions are answered, until all your fears and concerns can be answered in a manner satisfactory to you. This is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things you will ever do!! Do not trust your health and the health of your baby to hearsay, other people's opinions, or even a practitioner's reputation alone. Go in and GRILL THEM!!

Once you are satisfied that you have chosen the right person, be vigilant throughout your pregnancy. If you hear that someone pushes for inductions or C-sections for practitioner convenience, if you hear that a midwife takes unnecessary risks or hates long labors or holiday call, LISTEN to your intuition and change practitioners if necessary.

I have had three births, and the homebirth I had with #3 with a competent, knowledgeable midwife was hands-down the best choice for me and for my daughter. The homebirth midwife I chose had vast experience and, from the first visit, it was abundantly clear that she knew exactly what to watch for with both me and my baby. She insisted upon healthy lifestyle and diet to help keep everything normal. The visits sometimes went 30-45 minutes. She got to know me, my children, and my lifestyle and health inside and out. She didn't lose her mind when I passed my due date as the OBs did (all pregnancies in my family for at least the 5 generations have "gone long"). Finally, when labor came, she was attentive, vigilant, and just generally outstanding.

My point is, no matter what you choose to do, do it as educated as possible! Don't go to an OB whom you see for 5-10 minutes at each visit and then expect that practitioner to know your wishes and personality and all about you without a chart directly in front of their face/written birth plan. Don't also expect that OB to sit with you while in labor, but rather to call in some orders to the nurses and then pop in to catch when you are at 10 cm, or to swoop in and do the C-section if something looks "off." More importantly, if you want a midwife to truly know you and spend lots of time with you, quiz her as well. In mixed OB/midwife group practices, many times one tiny thing or another will "risk you out" of the midwife and you can end up in the care of an OB you may have only met once. I learned so much by reading the message boards at the mothering.com website once I had decided upon a more natural birth and practitioner.

Listen to your body and your intuition and advocate for yourself and your baby no matter where you are giving birth and no matter who/what your practitioner is!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM

175 posts, read 295,876 times
Actually, we found out afterward what happened. My son was overdue, and there aren't a lot of people who know this word (I certainly didn't), but he was "postmature". The uterine condition was deteriorating because something wasn't kicking in labor. After his birth I was told he was found to have an infection and collapsed lungs (from the stress of birth). When I had noticed his lack of movement 2 weeks prior it was because he was getting less oxygen due to his postmaturity. When he was born he was barely over 6 lbs, and skinny-looking, when on ultrasound at 8 months they were already measuring him close to 8 lbs. Had the ultrasound been ordered when I requested because I wasn't feeling him move, they would have found when measuring that he had lost significant weight and indeed not moving much, and ordered the c-section then instead of putting him through labor.

When I went back after delivery for my post-partum checkup, that woman just shrugged and said, "I'm not a doctor, I can't catch everything."

It was so sick that she could be so callous about the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy