U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM

579 posts, read 717,823 times

Advertisements

I had recurring back pain for a year after my first epidural. I knew it was a risk and still would not change things since I had a brutal natural birth before that.

The pain from the epidural is a "bruised" feeling in the back. Imagine if you were kicked in the back, the dull pain that would follow after the sharp pain wears off.

After about a year the pain was gone.

What exactly does the pain feel like? You mentioned you had back pain before, so perhaps it wasn't the epidural. Do you have any extra weight from the pregnancy? This will increase any joint or back pain if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,137,547 times
Kick Ass Army Chick have you been to the doctor yet? Are you ok?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Hi all, I am not even sure if this is the right forum to post this but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had my first baby this past June. I had to have a C Section and chose to have an Epidural.

The first Epidural I was given only worked for about 3 hrs. I was told the needle had moved so I was given a 2nd one - which only worked on my left side. The Anesthesiologist was aware of that.

My meds wore off right after they pulled the baby out. I could feel the staples and everything. I was given Morphine but it did not do much for me.

Ever since that day my back has not been the same. I did have back problems before but only every few months... However, in the past 6 months it has gotten much, much worse. Sometimes I am unable to get out of the bed. Today I had to miss work because I have the most horrible back pain I have ever had. It took me over an hour to be able to get up after I sat on the couch..and I was only able to do so because I took a couple Vicodin pills my Dr gave me after I gave birth.

I can't even hold my daughter sometimes because of the pain. I can't stand up and hold her for more than 5 minutes.

I am wondering if the Epidural is to blame. I am extremely frustrated and upset!

Has anyone on here had the same problem (or a similar problem) after having an Epidural?
hi i know what you are talking about. only i choose to have my 4 natural births. my 1st was a little bit complcated because half way out the drs made me stop. his embilical cord was wrapped around his neck . they made me get an emergancie epidural and slowed down the labor after i had him my back would catch if i moved the wrong way. 18 months latter i had my second child- naturally and no eprialdural but my back just kept getting worse. 22 months later our little girl came - natturally again.. no epidural and 18 months later our youngest son. and yes he was born natural also no epidural. my oldest is now 15 and my youngest is now 8 and the all the dr has told me is that
all of my back pain and hand and wrist pain comes from carpial tunnel syndrom but they even tested me for carpial tunnel syndrom and i dont have it. duh!
i have been told there is a law firm that is handeling these types of claims when i find them i will post their info good luck maryjones40080

Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
My name is Sarah, and have had 3 epidural s in 7 years. I have just discovered that the extremely painful back pain, thigh pain and hip pain I have been experiencing since my second child was born in June 2011, is due to degenerated lumbar discs in my mid 2 lower back. I recommend all women who have had epidural s go get a back X-ray and find a chiropractor that you trust to help you with your recovery. Recovery can take 6 mths. I'm in to my second month, and starting to see improvement.

Last edited by Sarah brown; 08-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 03-17-2014, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,579 times
Unhappy horrible back pain after delivery

i too had issues while giving birth to my 2nd daughter...i went in labor and was planning on having a vaginal birth because i had no major issues while being pregnant..they were going to start me on pitocin so it was suggested i get an epidural before they start the meds...after getting my epidural the anesthesisologists asked if i was ok..i said i think why, he siad because i usually feel a soft tissue after pulling the needle out and i did not feel it once i pulled yours out so im going to stay and observe you for awhile, he asked me how did i feel i told him really dizzy..and next thing i know im waking up being completely naked with 10 doctors in my room and the sound of my daughters heartbeat drastically slowing..long story short he stuck me in my spine (which he isnt suppose to) and some of the meds got in my blood stream causing my blood pressure to drop danagerously low and made me unresponsive and have multiple seizures...now i had excrutiating back pain it literallys feels as if my spine is crushing..my advice to you is to go see a doctor and lawyer up..its hard to prove negligence with epidurals due to mothers signing waivers and how tought the medical laws are..have u tried massages, that usually relieves my pain for about 2 weeks with no meds... i hope u feel better...i feel your pain

Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
Thanks for that, I am now 80% pain free yoga every day helps and also an anti inflammatory diet. So no wheat, low dairy low meat. Chiro once every 3 months. When your children get older you do not need to pick them up as much. This made a difference too. Youngest is about to turn 3.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,077 times
Hi everyone
I have a question about the epidural. I had surgery for colon cancer in May of 2012. At pre-op I firmly stated I did not want an epidural for pain. While I was sitting in the operating room absolutely terrified they decided to talk me into one even though I persistently told them I had already requested that under no circumstances did I want one. I gave in because I just wanted my surgery over with. I still didn't want it but felt my not agreeing was holding up my surgery. I now suffer from severe back pain and pain down my leg. What is this pain that wont go away? do any of you know why this would have happened?
Im now terminally ill with cancer and this pain was the last thing I needed to deal with on top of everything else. I live in Ontario Canada. Are there laws against what they pulled on me doing this in the operating room after I had already made my decision not to have one?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorie button View Post
Hi everyone
I have a question about the epidural. I had surgery for colon cancer in May of 2012. At pre-op I firmly stated I did not want an epidural for pain. While I was sitting in the operating room absolutely terrified they decided to talk me into one even though I persistently told them I had already requested that under no circumstances did I want one. I gave in because I just wanted my surgery over with. I still didn't want it but felt my not agreeing was holding up my surgery. I now suffer from severe back pain and pain down my leg. What is this pain that wont go away? do any of you know why this would have happened?
Im now terminally ill with cancer and this pain was the last thing I needed to deal with on top of everything else. I live in Ontario Canada. Are there laws against what they pulled on me doing this in the operating room after I had already made my decision not to have one?
I am so sorry about your illness, Lorie.

It would be unlikely for the epidural to be the cause of the pain three years later and more probably related to the cancer instead. The cancer may involve nerves in the pelvis or bone in the spine. It's best to talk to your doctor about it and see what can be done to help relieve it.

I can understand your feeling pressured to have the epidural, but it is a very effective way to treat pain after major surgery. Your doctors were just trying to make your recovery as comfortable as possible.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
I had an epidural due to emergency C-section just before i had my daughter on 10-23-14. it has been 4 and a half months and my pain only gets worse i've seen a doctor who told me i have now some scoliosis, sciatica, a bulging disc that is pinching a nerve. my right leg goes numb when i lay down and makes it hard to sleep my right hip constanlty hurts. and i have pain so bad in my back and in my neck that it feels like when i stand my back could break in half. it is hard for me to hold my daughter for long periods of time also. Standing up for more than ten minutes is a task in itself.. Remind you before my epidural, i never had ANY problems with my back or my body! & even after my epidural i could feel my legs the entire time all the way up until they gave me a local that numbed me from my chest down. i moved my self from my bed to the delivery table!!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber.21 View Post
I had an epidural due to emergency C-section just before i had my daughter on 10-23-14. it has been 4 and a half months and my pain only gets worse i've seen a doctor who told me i have now some scoliosis, sciatica, a bulging disc that is pinching a nerve. my right leg goes numb when i lay down and makes it hard to sleep my right hip constanlty hurts. and i have pain so bad in my back and in my neck that it feels like when i stand my back could break in half. it is hard for me to hold my daughter for long periods of time also. Standing up for more than ten minutes is a task in itself.. Remind you before my epidural, i never had ANY problems with my back or my body! & even after my epidural i could feel my legs the entire time all the way up until they gave me a local that numbed me from my chest down. i moved my self from my bed to the delivery table!!

Just because you had an epidural before the pain started does not mean the epidural is the cause of your current problem. An epidural would not cause a bulging disc or scoliosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy