U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,645,479 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am not even sure if this is the right forum to post this but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had my first baby this past June. I had to have a C Section and chose to have an Epidural.

The first Epidural I was given only worked for about 3 hrs. I was told the needle had moved so I was given a 2nd one - which only worked on my left side. The Anesthesiologist was aware of that.

My meds wore off right after they pulled the baby out. I could feel the staples and everything. I was given Morphine but it did not do much for me.

Ever since that day my back has not been the same. I did have back problems before but only every few months... However, in the past 6 months it has gotten much, much worse. Sometimes I am unable to get out of the bed. Today I had to miss work because I have the most horrible back pain I have ever had. It took me over an hour to be able to get up after I sat on the couch..and I was only able to do so because I took a couple Vicodin pills my Dr gave me after I gave birth.

I can't even hold my daughter sometimes because of the pain. I can't stand up and hold her for more than 5 minutes.

I am wondering if the Epidural is to blame. I am extremely frustrated and upset!

Has anyone on here had the same problem (or a similar problem) after having an Epidural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,135,227 times
Hi KickAssArmyChick1 Haven't seen you around these parts for awhile.

I too had a c-section with the epidural but I didnot have the complications you had during your c-section regarding the epidural wearing off.

I will say though I have suffered from back problems since my epidural. I get really weird back spasms that are painful enough to render me unmovable. But they seem to go away after awhile and some drugs. Now I am pregnant again and my back plays me up even more. I wonder besides the weight of pregnancy does it even have to do with my previous epidural?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
Sorry to read you're in such pain.
When I had my baby (almost a year ago) I had an epidural during labor - then an unplanned c-section.
Things went great, but I have to say I've had back problems ever since. I honestly don't know if they are linked to the epidural or the c-section - you know how bent you walk for a while, all the pain in the lower part of your tummy etc... I'm sure this has an influence too...
Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,303,118 times
I'm so sorry that you're going through that. I've had back problems on and off for the past 10 years. I did have an epidural and I noticed that my back was hurting me at the injection site on and off for couple of months, and then, that pain stopped ( around the injection site ). I'm sorry I can't be of more help...Hope your back situation gets better soon...

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
If I was having your problems, I'd be following up with a doctor. Based on all the information you provided about the actual procedure and your remaining pain, I sounds like the anestheiologist really messed up. It also sounds like you have permanent nerve damage.

I didn't have an epidural, I had a spinal block. For a few months, I had a strange numbing and tingling sensation in my buddocks and groin area whenever I had a bowel movement or the urge to have a bowel movement. It was weird. It was nerve damage but not permanent. It went away in a few months.

I remember when I told my OB about it. She told me matter of factly that it was nerve damage and it would get better. When I researched it right now, I discovered that the region where I had numbness is considered the most feared side effect. Apparently some people lose bowel and bladder control. Mine wasn't that bad so maybe that's why she didn't mention any treatment and just said it would go away with time. Or maybe she didn't mention treatment because there is no treatment for nerve damage. From what I understand, our damaged nerves either heal or they don't heal.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about it, but I'd definitely be pursuing treatment options. For example, I wonder if physical therapy would help. I'd definitely push for being allowed to try physical therapy. If nothing can be done, I'd be filing a lawsuit against the anthesiologist. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:10 AM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Hi all, I am not even sure if this is the right forum to post this but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I had my first baby this past June. I had to have a C Section and chose to have an Epidural.

The first Epidural I was given only worked for about 3 hrs. I was told the needle had moved so I was given a 2nd one - which only worked on my left side. The Anesthesiologist was aware of that.

My meds wore off right after they pulled the baby out. I could feel the staples and everything. I was given Morphine but it did not do much for me.

Ever since that day my back has not been the same. I did have back problems before but only every few months... However, in the past 6 months it has gotten much, much worse. Sometimes I am unable to get out of the bed. Today I had to miss work because I have the most horrible back pain I have ever had. It took me over an hour to be able to get up after I sat on the couch..and I was only able to do so because I took a couple Vicodin pills my Dr gave me after I gave birth.

I can't even hold my daughter sometimes because of the pain. I can't stand up and hold her for more than 5 minutes.

I am wondering if the Epidural is to blame. I am extremely frustrated and upset!

Has anyone on here had the same problem (or a similar problem) after having an Epidural?
Epidural anaesthesia and low back pain after delivery: a prospective cohort study.

Is epidural anesthesia in labor associated with... [Anesth Analg. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

Factors associated with back pain after child... [Anesthesiology. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Back pain following epidural anaesthesia in la... [Can J Anaesth. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

Long term backache after childbirth: prospective search ... [BMJ. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1531555: (broken link)

"To determine the prevalence of back pain and its development over the first postpartum period, 817 women who had been followed through pregnancy were studied a minimum of 12 months after delivery. More than 67% of the women experienced back pain directly after delivery, whereas 37% said they had back pain at the follow-up examination. Most of the women who had recovered became pain-free within 6 months. Factors that correlated to persistent postpartum back pain were the presence of back pain before pregnancy, the presence of back pain during pregnancy, physically heavy work, and multipregnancy. Of these four factors, physically heavy work was found to have the strongest association with persistent back pain at 12 months."

Overall, having an obstetric epidural does not increase the risk of long term backache. The clue in your case may lie in the back problem that preceded the pregnancy. Do you know what caused that?

Pregnancy itself causes major changes in joints and ligaments. Everything loosens and stretches. Low back pain in pregnancy is common and related to these changes and changes in posture related to the increased weight in front.

The problem you are having may be related to a combination of the previous problem, the changes during pregnancy, and current activity, including bending and lifting your baby.

You really need to see your doctor and have a good examination. It is likely that some physical therapy will be suggested before proceeding with any expensive imaging studies.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Enjoy that baby!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:50 PM

167 posts, read 394,351 times
Yes and I still don't know what's wrong. Never had any problems before I was pregnant or during. Long story short, I was poked in the back about 15 times with the needle because the Navy Corpsman was training. I'm fine as long as I don't bend over at the waist or lift anything. It's been like this for 11 years now and I don't see it going away.

Steroid shots don't work, MRI's don't pick up anything and physical therapy didn't do anything for me either. A chiropractor mentioned damaged nerves years ago, that's the closest guess I have.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,143,178 times
I had my daughter over five years ago. Every now and then, I still get this electric shock feeling where the epidural was every now and then.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
... I was poked in the back about 15 times with the needle because the Navy Corpsman was training.

Everyone needs to know this is not acceptable. With any procedure, if two or possibly three attempts are unsuccessful, someone with more experience needs to give it a try.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
I had an emergency c-section in February and did not have any issues with it. My twins were born prematurely and both passed away unfortunately. My second son fought for 6 months in the NICU. I actually had back numbness in spots which I felt were a result of leaning over his isolette/crib for sometimes more than an hour at a time. Sure enough, after his passing, I realized one day that my back numbness was gone.

To the OP, I think with the extreme nature of your pain, you need to consult with a physician. Missing work and having to take narcotics to relieve the pain isn't normal.

For mild pain post delivery/epidural, I think several factors come in to play:
#1, following a c-section, women tend to walk a little stooped because they're afraid to stand upright for fear of splitting their incision and also because it is painful; this can take a toll on the back.
#2, bending into a crib to pick up an infant, not maintaining proper posture when nursing/feeding, etc, can also play a role.
#3, your core muscles have just been through a lot. Your core supports your back and posture. Until it is strengthened again, your back will carry the load.
#4, post pregnancy weight can be slow to come off and that takes a toll on the skeletal structure.

These are just my opinions, but I hope they help.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy