U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
 
3,516 posts, read 2,973,088 times
Reputation: 5366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
"Vasectomy or injury can greatly REDUCE the number of sperm they are producing, but the possibility still exists."

Just to clarify... my husband still has LOTS of little swimmers, but his vasectomy closed the only route they have of getting out of his body naturally. A vasectomy done properly (and with the recommended follow-up sperm samples done) removes the possibility of future pregnancies. The few pregnancies conceived after sterilization are likely in the first couple of months and are from the last few remaining sperm being expelled from the tubes below the vasectomy sight.
I did an SA on a guy who had had a vasectomy a few years earlier. He had sperm in his ejaculate. A very very low concentration, low enough that it's almost impossible for him to get anyone pregnant without medical intervention, but sperm nonetheless. He was getting the analysis because his girlfriend wound up pregnant and, well, let's just say he should demand a paternity test on the little one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
 
175 posts, read 138,038 times
Reputation: 261
Seeing your post and then your name "Unexpected Error" made me laugh out loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
 
499 posts, read 266,131 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
By the way, parents and parents-to-be,

I have seen this floating around various sites, and I felt it had enough of an impact to everyone here to see and think about it:

Antidepressant use in pregnancy may raise autism risk - CNN.com

While there has been a huge spike in autism rates, there has also been a huge spike in the use of antidepressants during pregnancy. And while I cannot personally comment on whether this is bottom-line conclusive or not, it bears knowiing that a link may have been found.
I had a number of miscarriages in the sixties and this obviously had a bad effect on me emotionally, Once again I became pregnant but by this time I was taking prescribed anti depressants, tranquilisers and barbiturates to sleep. Incidentally I also got pregnant while taking the contraceptive pill and carried on taking it for two months not knowing I was pregnant. It was only when I started to miscarry that it was found I was pregnant. Doctors managed to stabilise me but it was thought that I had been carrying twins and had lost one. I was still prescribed all the drugs through out my pregnancy though. (Can you believe it?) In 1966 I gave birth to a healthy girl, a sister for my eight year old son. Doctors didn't warn me that she would be addicted to the drugs I had been taking! I was left to find this out on my own and to deal with it. Fortunately she was a large and otherwise healthy baby, even though she did lose quite a bit off her birth weight. My precious daughter is now a mother herself and there was never any sign of autism or any other problem. No behaviour problems, always very well behaved and very bright (invited to join MENSA at aged eighteen) and her two children too are very bright and at University, one studying to be a doctor. When my kids were young autism was unknown as was ATDS (if that's the way to spell it) I think there is just not enough dicipline in the home in moden times and this is the biggest problem. Kids don't know the boundaries as they did in years gone by. Just my two pence worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: here
17,030 posts, read 14,582,907 times
Reputation: 13929
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I had a number of miscarriages in the sixties and this obviously had a bad effect on me emotionally, Once again I became pregnant but by this time I was taking prescribed anti depressants, tranquilisers and barbiturates to sleep. Incidentally I also got pregnant while taking the contraceptive pill and carried on taking it for two months not knowing I was pregnant. It was only when I started to miscarry that it was found I was pregnant. Doctors managed to stabilise me but it was thought that I had been carrying twins and had lost one. I was still prescribed all the drugs through out my pregnancy though. (Can you believe it?) In 1966 I gave birth to a healthy girl, a sister for my eight year old son. Doctors didn't warn me that she would be addicted to the drugs I had been taking! I was left to find this out on my own and to deal with it. Fortunately she was a large and otherwise healthy baby, even though she did lose quite a bit off her birth weight. My precious daughter is now a mother herself and there was never any sign of autism or any other problem. No behaviour problems, always very well behaved and very bright (invited to join MENSA at aged eighteen) and her two children too are very bright and at University, one studying to be a doctor. When my kids were young autism was unknown as was ATDS (if that's the way to spell it) I think there is just not enough dicipline in the home in moden times and this is the biggest problem. Kids don't know the boundaries as they did in years gone by. Just my two pence worth
Of course. someone who hasn't had to deal with it in their family wouldn't believe it is real. I have a 39 year old family member I'm almost positive has autism. Of course there was never a dx, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm honestly at a loss for words. Blaming it on lack of discipline is just very ignorant on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
 
175 posts, read 138,038 times
Reputation: 261
I am insulted at the thought that anyone considers that children of this generation (as a whole) are simply "not disciplined enough" and this is the cause for all the errors of our world (and, apparently, for the cause of documented medical problems, as well.)

It reminds me of a horrible video I had to watch when my husband and I considered adopting (when it was thought I could have no more children, before I found myself pregnant with this last one!) In adoption classes, the video was of a woman from the 60's, who had killed her young son in anger (accidentally) with a curtain rod. She was not convicted of any crime, being that she had not done anything that was considered out of the ordinary in accepted discipline. The video gave me nightmares, not inspired me. I couldn't even continue adoption classes after this.

(I do not know the name of the video, but the classes were taken at Lake County Ohio's Job and Family Services' adoption classes, if anyone would like to know that I am not making this up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
 
499 posts, read 266,131 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Of course. someone who hasn't had to deal with it in their family wouldn't believe it is real. I have a 39 year old family member I'm almost positive has autism. Of course there was never a dx, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm honestly at a loss for words. Blaming it on lack of discipline is just very ignorant on your part.
I'm sorry you feel like that but we are all entitled to our opinions. How come it is such a modern affliction? It didn't appear to happen years ago! I wonder why? We all know that discipline has gone out of the window in most young families, usually one parent and couldn't care less attitude. Don't you think that might have some bearing on the children's behaviour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
 
175 posts, read 138,038 times
Reputation: 261
Radiation poisoning is fairly modern as well, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Weren't there more single-parent families during the 40's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM
 
499 posts, read 266,131 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
I am insulted at the thought that anyone considers that children of this generation (as a whole) are simply "not disciplined enough" and this is the cause for all the errors of our world (and, apparently, for the cause of documented medical problems, as well.)

It reminds me of a horrible video I had to watch when my husband and I considered adopting (when it was thought I could have no more children, before I found myself pregnant with this last one!) In adoption classes, the video was of a woman from the 60's, who had killed her young son in anger (accidentally) with a curtain rod. She was not convicted of any crime, being that she had not done anything that was considered out of the ordinary in accepted discipline. The video gave me nightmares, not inspired me. I couldn't even continue adoption classes after this.

(I do not know the name of the video, but the classes were taken at Lake County Ohio's Job and Family Services' adoption classes, if anyone would like to know that I am not making this up.)
I don't live in America so can't comment on that. I was never harsh with my children and don't know of any parents who were but we definately gave them guidance and expected certain standards. Autism seems to be a modern disability, even though the previous poster said she has a 39 year old relative that she THINKS has it........only thinks? Hasn't it been diagnosed? Doctors are usually quick to put a name these days to anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
 
Location: here
17,030 posts, read 14,582,907 times
Reputation: 13929
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I'm sorry you feel like that but we are all entitled to our opinions. How come it is such a modern affliction? It didn't appear to happen years ago! I wonder why? We all know that discipline has gone out of the window in most young families, usually one parent and couldn't care less attitude. Don't you think that might have some bearing on the children's behaviour?
If you knew anything about autism spectrum disorders you wouldn't say that. You obviously don't know anything about them. It isn't misbehavior. I can barely type, I am so disgusted with your posts. It is obvious you wouldn't know a kid with autism if one was standing right beside you so why don't you refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about?

Autism: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Better yet, educate yourself a little. Read the signs of autism, and ask yourself what part of that sounds like lack of discipline. The lack of eye contact? The lack of verbal communication? The repetitive motion? The robot-like speech? Try curing any of that with some discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM
 
499 posts, read 266,131 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
Radiation poisoning is fairly modern as well, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Weren't there more single-parent families during the 40's?
Radiation poisoning has been with us since the forties, hardly modern. There were many war widows during the forties if that is what you are alluding to, my mother was one but she kept a tight control on us six kids without being harsh in any way. We always knew she was watching us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top