Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Right, because that seems to be working so well.
That's where personal responsibility comes in.

A strong, healthy family life cannot be compensated for.

I know, I know...."I know lots of people from strong, healthy families who have had unplanned, unmarried pregnancies, look at the Palins!"

Nothing is 100%, but the chances of poverty rise significantly for children of broken homes. Unplanned unmarried pregnancy is the main reason for poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,270,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That's where personal responsibility comes in.

A strong, healthy family life cannot be compensated for.

I know, I know...."I know lots of people from strong, healthy families who have had unplanned, unmarried pregnancies, look at the Palins!"

Nothing is 100%, but the chances of poverty rise significantly for children of broken homes. Unplanned unmarried pregnancy is the main reason for poverty.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Very true. I wish the Dept. of Educ. would accept this.

I think the public schools' job is to educate kids in the academics.

(BTW, LOL! My daughter won't be "pressured" into anything.)
In biology class there is a unit on the digestive system, a unit on the respiratory system, the skeletal system, etc. Are you suggesting schools just skip over the reproductive system and pretend it doesn't exist?

I bet there are a lot of young grand parents in this country who didn't think their precious daughter would be pressured either. I find it disturbing that you "LOL" at the mere thought of it.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In biology class there is a unit on the digestive system, a unit on the respiratory system, the skeletal system, etc. Are you suggesting schools just skip over the reproductive system and pretend it doesn't exist?

I bet there are a lot of young grand parents in this country who didn't think their precious daughter would be pressured either. I find it disturbing that you "LOL" at the mere thought of it.

I always find it amusing the parents who spew that 'not my child!' line at people.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,622,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In biology class there is a unit on the digestive system, a unit on the respiratory system, the skeletal system, etc.
My freshman year in college I started hearing rumors about a course named "Biology of Sex", and that it was a must take (see). I thought why not, but quickly found out there was about a four semester waiting list to get in. j/k, but it was a class that quickly filled up.

I finally did register for it and couldn't wait to see what all the excitement was about.

The course did go into a lot about, well, the Biology of Sex. You learned about meiosis and mitosis and lots of other human reproductive stuff, but it was the movies that every one came to see.

When I say those movies were X rated, I mean they were XXX rated. Upon completion of the course, I truly understood why it had such a long long waiting list.

It was all about the visual part of the Biology of Sex, and nothing about what was in the written text.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
People don't make the choices to have sex whether or not their parents might approve of it . It's too much a mix of biology along with personal morals, and the feeling of being ready.
B I N G O ! I think you finally got it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 PM

56 posts, read 265,895 times
A big problem is that teens are too embarrassed to buy condoms or get on birth control.
My niece came to me and had NO clue how her body works and wasn't sure if she even had sex the night b4. I immediately took her to planned parenthood and got her on the depot provera shot then took her to Walgreens for condoms. She wanted to stay in the car. I told her if she can have sex she better know what isle the condoms were on. Thank goodness she felt comfortable and trusted talking to me. She could be pregnant right now.
It baffles me (but, I guess it's typical for teenagers) that they have everyone teaching safe sex, condoms, even watching 'Teen Mom' or "16 & Pregnant" on MTV, they still don't use them!! This isn't a new concept, these kids have aunts/uncles or their own parents that they know who had kids when they were teens. I'm sure we all have an example in our lives. They still don't do it.
I don't what I'll do when my kids become active. Even when youre open with your kids, youre still their parents, will they really come to me in time? Do I just routinely give my kids condoms? Take my daughter to get on BC anyways?! With my niece we taught her to wait, about STDs, everything. The problem is that they most likely won't wait until marriage, most people don't.
Even good kids do it. My niece is on the honor roll, goes to church & activities, has good friends that are not active, doesn't go to parties. (no, I'm not being fooled, I know her friends and kids at her school) she is a good kid.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
B I N G O ! I think you finally got it.
Personal morals are just that personal, they often fluctuate. Now while you might believe your daughter will wait, and she might even tell you she plans to wait, that often if never actually happens. A mix of the right guy or girl, a change in attitude all factor into the choice whether or not to have sex.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Right, because that seems to be working so well.
Teen pregnancy rates are FAR LOWER today than they were in the 1980s when I was a teenager. Unfortunately teen pregnancy does seem to be taking an up trend in recent years. However, the actual rate of teen pregnancies is much much much lower since intensive education efforts were begun in the late 1980s and through the 1990s.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
I think the public schools' job is to educate kids in the academics.
Isn't the function of the reproductive system just as academic as the function of the respiratory system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy