Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times

Advertisements

I don't like the name "Zoe", and I don't understand its popularity. It has an ugly sound to it--not pretty or feminine at all (though granted every parent of a girl may not be going for pretty or feminine). It sounds kind of scientific, like something you'd say in a laboratory. "Dr. Jones, keep an eye on that Petri dish of Zoe we've got growing over there--we want to see if it kills that virus."

Liliana and Alana are both nice names that are not overused. Rebecca, Emma, Hannah, and Madeline are popular (although I prefer the classic spelling of Madeleine) but not terribly so, and they are names that withstand the test of time.

Don't like Mclaine. The fad of using someone's last name as a girl's first name is just bizarre to me. And why is it always an Irish name with a "Mc" in it (which means "son of" and therefore makes even less sense)? You don't hear of any girl babies being named "Vanderveen" or "DuPont" or "Dellabarca".

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-11-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,007,405 times
Rebecca Hope - Becca - is lovely, and, as the prior poster said, will wear well over time.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM

23,864 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiher View Post
You can put them into categories, just copy and paste the list and give your opinion on each, make suggestions or anything you want - I just want to know what you think. Thanks guys! (:

Zoe Kathryn
Charlotte Harper – Charlie
Aria Genevieve
Hannah Juliet
Mclaine Allison - Lanie
Madeline Sophia/Ariel - Maddie
Gabriella Violet - Ella
Jaelyn Amelia
Emma Scarlett
Liliana Taylor - Lily
Chloe Noël
Alexis Raine
Rebecca Hope - Becca
Alana Mae
Lila Rosalie

OK I get a feel for what you like - sort of a soft old fashioned, feminine, cottage chic thing with a bit of literary allusion - Harper and Juliet.

First I'll tell you what I don't like and why, then what I do.

Emma and Emily have been done to death. They are appealing, but my children are teens and there are so many girls with these names now that the name has transcended classic to trendy. 1990s trendy.

A nice variation from my own family tree is Emiline.
With "line" rhyming with "wine"

Zoe is a name who's appeal I have never understood. Lots of people like it, but I'm not a member of that fan club. I put Chloe in that same category. I agree with Mighty Queen and what she said about Zoe, but I'll extend it to Chloe - they sound scientific, very periodic table of elements.
Chloe sounds like Clorox or chlorine. They appeal to many, but not to me.

I am a huge fan of names that reach the middle of blending in and standing out. I named my children with this is mind. I was not trying to please great aunt Harriet or Gertrude. The old woman name thing never appealed.
Teenagers LIKE TRENDY PRETTY GIRLS NAMES. SO DO TEEEN AGED BOYS - on GIRLS. Trendy is not a bad thing. Not always.

The name is the first gift that you give your child. Give them one that you BOTH LIKE.

My favorites are in order Madeline (but not with Sophia) Arielle
Jaelyn Amelia (yes Jaelyn is trendy and perhaps made up, but it;s pretty, pronounceable, and she will like it. Amelia give it a solid anchor) but it sounds good!
Alana Mae - just pretty
Gabriella is pretty but not with Violet. How about
Raine? Also an under used diminutive is Brielle,
Ella is way to attachecd to Miss Fitzgelard.

I like Raine as a middle name. Alexis is a name that has been around for a while. I wouldn't use it.

Your thoughts?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM

PS Juliette is underused and very pretty! Harper although Ms Lee is the author of one of my favorite books is about to explode.

Julliette Jane? or Jade?

I fear Aria will be pronounced "Area" - or worse.

Is "Lila" "Leila" if so, I would spell it that way to avoid confusion.

Leila Grace is a pretty combo.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK I get a feel for what you like - sort of a soft old fashioned, feminine, cottage chic thing with a bit of literary allusion - Harper and Juliet.

First I'll tell you what I don't like and why, then what I do.

Emma and Emily have been done to death. They are appealing, but my children are teens and there are so many girls with these names now that the name has transcended classic to trendy. 1990s trendy.

A nice variation from my own family tree is Emiline.
With "line" rhyming with "wine"

Zoe is a name who's appeal I have never understood. Lots of people like it, but I'm not a member of that fan club. I put Chloe in that same category. I agree with Mighty Queen and what she said about Zoe, but I'll extend it to Chloe - they sound scientific, very periodic table of elements.
Chloe sounds like Clorox or chlorine. They appeal to many, but not to me.

I am a huge fan of names that reach the middle of blending in and standing out. I named my children with this is mind. I was not trying to please great aunt Harriet or Gertrude. The old woman name thing never appealed.
Teenagers LIKE TRENDY PRETTY GIRLS NAMES. SO DO TEEEN AGED BOYS - on GIRLS. Trendy is not a bad thing. Not always.

The name is the first gift that you give your child. Give them one that you BOTH LIKE.

My favorites are in order Madeline (but not with Sophia) Arielle
Jaelyn Amelia (yes Jaelyn is trendy and perhaps made up, but it;s pretty, pronounceable, and she will like it. Amelia give it a solid anchor) but it sounds good!
Alana Mae - just pretty
Gabriella is pretty but not with Violet. How about
Raine? Also an under used diminutive is Brielle,
Ella is way to attachecd to Miss Fitzgelard.

I like Raine as a middle name. Alexis is a name that has been around for a while. I wouldn't use it.

Your thoughts?
That's hilarious. I was going to say in my earlier post that I found the sound of "Chloe" equally distasteful, but I didn't want the OP to think I was just out trashing every one of her suggested names.

I like your suggestion of Emiline. Very pretty.

I do like Genevieve. That's a nice, old-fashioned name, but not on the Aunt Gertrude level. I also like Geneva for a girl's name.

Re Brielle--there is a town here on the Jersey shore with that name, and on the way to Point Pleasant, a larger and more popular beach destination, you pass a sign pointing to Brielle.

When my daughter was in school, one of my girl scouts had a little sister named Brielle. I jokingly asked the mother if she'd named her daughter after the shore town, and she said "YES!" She said she and her husband were discussing baby names, passed the sign on the way to the beach, and decided to use the name, thinking they'd have something unique. Came to the first day of kindergarten in our little town of < 7000 people, and there was another Brielle in the class.

My own daughter, now 20, was named an old-fashioned name for her grandmother--my mother-in-law--who died during my pregnancy. She was the only one with the name throughout all her years in school, and only ever met two other girls her age with the name. And then a couple of years ago, out of Great Britain pops up a singer with that name. My daughter thinks it's great--her name has been misspelled and mispronounced all her life, and now everyone knows how to say it.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiher View Post
You can put them into categories, just copy and paste the list and give your opinion on each, make suggestions or anything you want - I just want to know what you think. Thanks guys! (:
My responses in green:

Zoe Kathryn Meh, not real inspriational
Charlotte Harper – Charlie Ditto
Aria Genevieve Doesn't seem to flow
Hannah Juliet Ditto
Mclaine Allison - Lanie Why not just name her Lainie?
Madeline Sophia/Ariel - Maddie Too many Maddies, too many Sophias
Gabriella Violet - Ella Too many Ellas
Jaelyn Amelia Agree with those who say there are lots of Jaelyns, Kaylins, etc. Also will be difficult to spell correctly, e.g. variants Jaylyn, Jaylin, Jaelin, etc.
Emma Scarlett Agree there are too many Emmas
Liliana Taylor - Lily Why not just name her Lily? I have a strange issue with Liliana. The Illinois/Indiana area around Chicago is often referred to as Illiana, and that's what comes to mind when I hear that name.
Chloe Noël I'm not a real fan of Chloe either. I wouldn't use Noel unless she's born in December.
Alexis Raine I agree she sounds like a stripper. There are a lot of little Alexises out there.
Rebecca Hope - Becca I love Rebecca, and Becky is OK, but I don't care for Becca.
Alana Mae Has a good flow,
Lila Rosalie Like Lila, Rosalie doesn't seem to fit with it.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 AM

Those funny and now wealthy women who wrote "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" and books following, have a naming philosophy with which a tend to agree.

They have some "no nos" names that one just should NOT use, but they also allow for names that are both conservative and unusual - as long as it does not involve the unpronounceable or they the naming of children after fancy merchandise, especially luxury motor vehicles, or high end jewelry shops.

Jaelyn is really not bad Kat and MQ. Every name was new at one time and many were at one point invented. Jessica was.

Societies "ear" seems to change every 100 or so years, and the Grandma Revival Names are popular now with many,(but not myself) but there are some that will never make a comeback - Mildred, Eunice, Enid, Gladys, Winefred, Hilda and others.

They long "a" sound of Jaelyn seems to tickle many a 21st century ear, and mine is one.
Knew a girl in college named Graydon, a family name. Never hear it, but I think it's pretty. Perhaps "Jaylyn" is a better way of spelling it. "Jay" feminie form of "Jacob: and lun or Lynne - a tied and true ending for many girls names.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 AM

OK speaking of names. Does anyone have any feelings about the changing of a child's name who was adopted as an "older"adoptee? ( older in adoption speak - over five)

We have been offered the referal of a child who's given name is very very ugly and in her own country is old fashioned. My children have "Golden Mean names" not trendy but not "mothbal"l.

They begin with letters that are similar. They blend but nothing crazy like the Duggers.

This girls name sounds like a gazillion unsavory words in English - one, a woman of ill repute, and it also sounds like crush or smash or mash, another for a person who is a con artist.

I believe that family names should be harmonious - not random.

If you have a girl with an ultra feminine name such as "Larissa" or "Melissa'' - then "Jody" or "Casey" do not go. Joanna or Cassandra may be better fits.

There is a great deal of disagreement among the adoption community among changing the names of adopted children.Essentially one school says that to change is a rejection of the child. Another says that a new name signifies a new start.

Also in the bible, many people took or were given new names when a significant change occurred in their lives. I agree with the second. Also naming is what parents do. If a child was taken away from a parent, because of abuse or neglect, how is keeping that name given by the former parent good?

The girl is from an Eastern European country where I actually love many of the names - Katya, Tatiana, Ksenia, Kristina, and others.

But there are a few Nadshezda, Nastia, Yanna, and Vinola that are very bad,
This one is up there.

Advice welcome.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Those funny and now wealthy women who wrote "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" and books following, have a naming philosophy with which a tend to agree.

They have some "no nos" names that one just should NOT use, but they also allow for names that are both conservative and unusual - as long as it does not involve the unpronounceable or they the naming of children after fancy merchandise, especially luxury motor vehicles, or high end jewelry shops.

Jaelyn is really not bad Kat and MQ. Every name was new at one time and many were at one point invented. Jessica was.

Societies "ear" seems to change every 100 or so years, and the Grandma Revival Names are popular now with many,(but not myself) but there are some that will never make a comeback - Mildred, Eunice, Enid, Gladys, Winefred, Hilda and others.

They long "a" sound of Jaelyn seems to tickle many a 21st century ear, and mine is one.
Knew a girl in college named Graydon, a family name. Never hear it, but I think it's pretty. Perhaps "Jaylyn" is a better way of spelling it. "Jay" feminie form of "Jacob: and lun or Lynne - a tied and true ending for many girls names.
I didn't say anything one way or the other about Jaelyn. It's not bad at all. Was just lukewarm about it. I had a brother named Jay, and I do like that sound.

And I met a woman (in her forties) the other day whose real name was Jacqueline but was called "Jake". Don't know if it would work on everyone, but it did for her.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
OK speaking of names. Does anyone have any feelings about the changing of a child's name who was adopted as an "older"adoptee? ( older in adoption speak - over five)

We have been offered the referal of a child who's given name is very very ugly and in her own country is old fashioned. My children have "Golden Mean names" not trendy but not "mothbal"l.

They begin with letters that are similar. They blend but nothing crazy like the Duggers.

This girls name sounds like a gazillion unsavory words in English - one, a woman of ill repute, and it also sounds like crush or smash or mash, another for a person who is a con artist.

I believe that family names should be harmonious - not random.

If you have a girl with an ultra feminine name such as "Larissa" or "Melissa'' - then "Jody" or "Casey" do not go. Joanna or Cassandra may be better fits.

There is a great deal of disagreement among the adoption community among changing the names of adopted children.Essentially one school says that to change is a rejection of the child. Another says that a new name signifies a new start.

Also in the bible, many people took or were given new names when a significant change occurred in their lives. I agree with the second. Also naming is what parents do. If a child was taken away from a parent, because of abuse or neglect, how is keeping that name given by the former parent good?

The girl is from an Eastern European country where I actually love many of the names - Katya, Tatiana, Ksenia, Kristina, and others.

But there are a few Nadshezda, Nastia, Yanna, and Vinola that are very bad,
This one is up there.

Advice welcome.
You know what came to mind, and you'll probably think I'm nuts. Many years ago I read all of the books written by Dale Evans, the wife of Roy Rogers--you are probably too young to know this, but they did western movies together and they sang and they had a TV show. They were also well-known for their family -- Dale had married Roy after his first wife died of complications of childbirth. They only ever could have one child together and it was a little girl with Down's who died at the age of two. They adopted other children, and lost two of them.

The first book, Dearest Debbie, is a letter written to her 12-year-old daughter who was killed in a bus accident. Debbie was adopted at the age of three from Korea, and her name had been In Ai Lee. They renamed her Deborah Lee at the time of her adoption. I don't know how I remember that, but I do.

Could you use her present name as a middle name, perhaps? Or part of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy