U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM

25,265 posts, read 16,448,310 times
what's wrong with Emory? It is a fine school in Atlanta, and a fine last name as well as a find male or female name. I don't see the problem. Seems like all the suggestions will only cloudy the waters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM

7,435 posts, read 7,757,275 times
Another vote for Emory, or maybe Emerie. It's a pretty name and there's not need to muck it up with a funny spelling.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,937,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
When I see Emarie... In my mind I'm seeing/hearng E*Marie.
Now that you mention it, so do I! Lol. E.Marie sounds very emailish...

Maybe Emmarie?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,937,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Not trying to pick on you, just making a point that i dont understand.

Why if someone names their kid a name that is at most 2 syllables and 6 letter does there need to be a nickname? Why not just name her Emma or Marie. I get when a kid ends up being different than their name and you nickname her. If having a nickname completely unrelated (like my sons nickname is bear). But to shorten (from birth) the name you gave them? Why not just name them that?
I know lots of people who go by shortened versions of their given name. I actually think that those types of nicknames are very common.

Nicknames like Bear, Scooter, Peaches, etc. are sometimes used as nicknames, too, of course. But it's way less common for a person to actually go by those types of nicknames.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:54 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,816,268 times
I believe that there are many university studies that prove an inverse relationship between parents that name kids silly names and intelligence.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM

9,757 posts, read 9,317,634 times
Default What's in a name

Non-traditional names linked to teacher discrimination - The Local

I loved the "Kevin is not a name - It's a diagnosis!" Makes me wonder what Kevin did!

Who names their kid Sex Fruit? A real Athol

How Your Name Influences Your Success - The Ron and Don Show - MyNorthwest.com

What you name your child may have subtle --- or not so subtle --- effects on how s/he is treated by teachers and peers.

How about at work:

Your Career: Can your name affect your career? - Business - Careers - msnbc.com

Can a 'Black' Name Affect Job Prospects? - ABC News

Isn't being a parent grand? Wondering what effect the name you choose will have on your child's future could keep you awake nights!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM

329 posts, read 229,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Non-traditional names linked to teacher discrimination - The Local

I loved the "Kevin is not a name - It's a diagnosis!" Makes me wonder what Kevin did!

Who names their kid Sex Fruit? A real Athol

How Your Name Influences Your Success - The Ron and Don Show - MyNorthwest.com

What you name your child may have subtle --- or not so subtle --- effects on how s/he is treated by teachers and peers.

How about at work:

Your Career: Can your name affect your career? - Business - Careers - msnbc.com

Can a 'Black' Name Affect Job Prospects? - ABC News

Isn't being a parent grand? Wondering what effect the name you choose will have on your child's future could keep you awake nights!
I know I'm bumping this thread a bit, but I think some of this stuff is still as important today as when it was first written. I know some celebrities like giving their kids ridiculous names. For them, maybe it's ok. For others, I never agreed with this way of thinking. I would say if in doubt, give your kid a normal name.

I went through what I call a rough childhood. Kids did pick on me when I was in school. My given name was one of those reasons. Kids don't seem to be much nicer today. It's either gotten worse, or there's more media attention, or both.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,254,528 times
I met a 4 year old girl today named "Kynzi". That is not a nickname. That is her legal name. Her mom introduced her and then spelled it for me. Not only that, but she went into a story about how she really wanted the legal spelling to have a heart over the i. Really? You want to make it more complicated?

Btw... To all of the parents out there giving crazy spellings to their names, you are also making it harder on everyone else. I have a VERY common and VERY simple name. I still have to spell it for people because "I didn't know if it was spelled in some crazy way".

Please stop.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 PM

176 posts, read 245,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm surprised that I haven't seen little boys named Templeton yet. Last names as first names are still en vogue, and parents are choosing new last names as first names so they can be trendy yet unique. Hence babies named Harrison, Jefferson, Donnelly, etc.

I wonder if too many parents read Charlotte's Web to "go there." Templeton was the name of the rat.
They could name him after the guy from the A-team, Templeton Peck aka Face.

I've had some people try to spell my name with a k instead of a c.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM

17,069 posts, read 10,095,130 times
Emari or Ehmari or Imari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy