Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You do realize she will be called Ee-Marie all her life don't you? Why do parents do this to children. Not only are you giving her an odd name, then you make it worse by giving it a unique spelling that no one will be able to remember and she will be called the wrong name all of her life .

If you go with Emoreigh she will be Ee More Ree
I'd have said Ee-More-Ray.

Give her a normal name with a normal spelling. The desire for it to be unique is your and your wife's desire to be special not a desire to give your daughter a good name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
If anyone wants to see unusual spelling taken to a new level, watch Toddlers and Tiaras.
Good point. Just name her Honey Boo-Boo and be done with it.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Non-traditional names linked to teacher discrimination - The Local

I loved the "Kevin is not a name - It's a diagnosis!" Makes me wonder what Kevin did!

Who names their kid Sex Fruit? A real Athol

How Your Name Influences Your Success - The Ron and Don Show - MyNorthwest.com

What you name your child may have subtle --- or not so subtle --- effects on how s/he is treated by teachers and peers.

How about at work:

Your Career: Can your name affect your career? - Business - Careers - msnbc.com

Can a 'Black' Name Affect Job Prospects? - ABC News

Isn't being a parent grand? Wondering what effect the name you choose will have on your child's future could keep you awake nights!
Or just give your kid a normal name with a normal spelling and don't sweat it.

The parents of little Typhonee and Phredurik are the ones who should worry about how their kids' name will affect their kids, and yet they are the very ones who won't.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM

251 posts, read 934,019 times
The long and short of it seems to be, if you spell a name uniquely people will think you are ignorant and uneducated. Even if you're not. And if people pronounce or spell a common name incorrectly, they will come across as the same. I have to correct/spell my name all the time. (EMILY) Because of people that chose to be special snowflakes and give their kids unusual spellings. And yes, I do think they are ignorant and uneducated when they mess up my name. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We have a daughter with a unique name that is difficult to pronounce when someone is trying to read it. It is a somewhat common name in Europe, but all but unheard of in the US. We also chose the less common spelling. She is an overacheiver. When we went to various awards dinners and cereemonies and they got to first place and the announcer just stood there staring at the paper in terror, we started cheering and appluding, horrified stare and stuttering = you won!

I have asked her if she disliked her name. She said there were times when she wished she had a "normal" name, but most of the time she loved having a unique name.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My daughter's name is Adele. You'd think that would be pretty simple, but it's not. It's not a common name, but it's not THAT unusual, either, just old-fashioned. Southerners say AY-dell. Others have tried AD-a-lee or or A-DEAL. To make it worse, she has a terrible last name--hard to spell, hard to pronounce, easy to make fun of--that I ditched for those very reasons when I divorced her father. (My original last name is an easy, fairly common, English name that you can only screw up if you're a complete moron!) I used to tell my daughter that when she grew up, she could ditch the last name and just be known by her first name, since it's fairly underused.

Thankfully, a couple of years ago, along came this singer who did just that, and now everyone pronounces my daughter's name correctly.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Emari or Ehmari or Imari

Imari is a well-known kind of Japanese porcelain. Do you really want to name a child for a plate or a pot?(although many a little boy has been named "Clay" without incident...).

Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Immery, Amery, Emori, Immorie, emiri, emeree, emari

Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
OP's baby is six months old. I wonder what her name is?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM

72 posts, read 224,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
OP's baby is six months old. I wonder what her name is?
What would be more interesting is for the poor kid to come back in 20 years and tell us if she was ever able to find a job with a terrible name like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy