U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,337,656 times

Advertisements

Long and pretentious? Short and sweet? Old Anglo-Saxon names (which are currently fashionable), Saint's names, biblical names, or names from exotic languages? Traditional, ethnic, or creative spelling?

My preference leans towards the long and pretentious. I usually use the name of saints, or at least biblical names. I particularly like "Cyprian" (or "Cyrus") for boys and used to be in love with "Anastasia" and "Charity" for girls. If I had children, I would give them 4 names:

Cyprian Linus [my first name] [my last name]
Cyrus Anthony [my first name] [my last name]
Damian Thomas [my first name] [my last name]
Clement Ignatius [my first name] [my last name]

Anastasia Maria [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Bridget Teresa [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Claudia Monica [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Julia Charity [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM

43,268 posts, read 41,844,197 times
And your sons would hate you for the rest of their lives.

Those are cool names, for book characters, but you also have to consider what it would be like to actually have to wear one of those names throughout your life, as a child, a teen and an adult.

At least you admit they are pretentious. There's a fine line between a unique name and a handicap. Maybe start looking for nicknames.

I have 3 boys. I wanted names that are familiar, would not need to be spelled every time but were not on every class roll already. I guess you could call them grandpa names. I thought they were cool. When one of them was about 10, he said he wished I had given him a "cooler" name like Drake, Spike, Ace or some other name that sounds like a punch in the face. But he's fine with it now.

It's a crapshoot. You do the best you can, but the good news is they can always have it changed later if they really hate it. Your kids may love your choices.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 04-24-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,067,550 times
I seem to go for tried and true English and Irish names, but try to stay away from the stuff that's suuuuppppeeeerrrr overdone (in my mind).
For Girls I Like: Morgan, Jane, Elanor, Charlotte
Boys I like: Ronin, Henry, Mark

Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM

72 posts, read 188,305 times
My preference is to give children names that will not hinder their ability to get a job when they are older and won't get them beat up on the playground. Apparently most parents don't feel that way anymore, they just want to be as "unique" as possible and let their child suffer the consequences.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,746,857 times
I like traditional names that can age well and ones that are very basic but classy.

My favorite names:

Boys:
Jack
William
Benjamin
Edward
Thomas
Arthur
Matthew
David
Christopher
Henry

Girls:
Evelyn
Amelia
Margaret
Eleanor
Anna
Lucy
Ruthie
Elizabeth
Caroline
Ella
Natalie
Charlotte
Molly
Ruby

Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I like traditional names that can age well and ones that are very basic but classy.

My favorite names:

Boys:
Jack
William
Benjamin
Edward
Thomas
Arthur
Matthew
David
Christopher
Henry

Girls:
Evelyn
Amelia
Margaret
Eleanor
Anna
Lucy
Ruthie
Elizabeth
Caroline
Ella
Natalie
Charlotte
Molly
Ruby
^^^^ this would be very similar to my list^^^^^

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 16,996 times
Before my daughter was born I told my wife that the name we chose for our baby had to sound good in English and Spanish since some of my family members don't speak English. We also wanted to honor her parents since they both passed away without getting to see grandchildren from us so the middle names were going to be theirs.

We decided on Isaac William if it was a boy and Olivia Mae if it was a girl. Olivia is almost four months old. Maybe we'll get to use Isaac next time.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,370,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
^^^^ this would be very similar to my list^^^^^

20yrsinBranson
Mine as well. Madeleine is also a favorite of mine.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,334,219 times
I like most of the names on your list, 90sman. I also pay attention to initials, not just the obvious Rachel Ann Thomas or Andrew Scott Smith, but how they look and sound. For boys especially, I like initials that they can use if they wish, like J.R. or C.J. I don't see that as much anymore in kids (I knew a bunch when I was a kid), but it's a useful option as an adult. I've used my first and middle initial at times when I did not want to reveal that I was a woman. Initials are just something I pay attention to when considering a child's entire name, as well as how the first and first-middle combo sound with the last name.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,582,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Long and pretentious? Short and sweet? Old Anglo-Saxon names (which are currently fashionable), Saint's names, biblical names, or names from exotic languages? Traditional, ethnic, or creative spelling?

My preference leans towards the long and pretentious. I usually use the name of saints, or at least biblical names. I particularly like "Cyprian" (or "Cyrus") for boys and used to be in love with "Anastasia" and "Charity" for girls. If I had children, I would give them 4 names:

Cyprian Linus [my first name] [my last name]
Cyrus Anthony [my first name] [my last name]
Damian Thomas [my first name] [my last name]
Clement Ignatius [my first name] [my last name]

Anastasia Maria [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Bridget Teresa [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Claudia Monica [my wife's first name] [my last name]
Julia Charity [my wife's first name] [my last name]

I definitely inadvertantly take the prententious name. I love the name Apollo, Oliver, Willhamina (Willa)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy