U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM

747 posts, read 1,171,937 times
Default is it possible to conceive twins naturally without medical aid?

This probably is most asked question but let me ask again - Is it possible to conceive twins naturally without medical help?

Am looking to hear from mothers who have had twins and possibly could explain why or how they have had twins?

I have read eating certain diary products, certain vegetables is supposed to stimulate the ovaries into releasing more than one egg during the cycle but there is no scientific evidence, however I still would like to know if there any nautural means of increasing chances of having twins!

PS: Not interested in taking drugs or going thro' fertility treatments etc so please don't offer that as a solution.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM

7,859 posts, read 13,741,117 times
Twins tend to run in families. If you and your mate both come from families with twins, you also have an increased chance of having twins. And yes, it's quite possible to have twins without medical intervention.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,756,184 times
Fraternal twins (triplets, quadruplets, etc...) are often born via IVF because multiple fertilized embryos can be implanted, but each is in their own sac and no more alike than other siblings. Identical twins are a fluke of nature and there's no predicting or intervening to make the zygote split. Fraternal twins can run in families; identicals just pop up regardless of heredity.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 PM

747 posts, read 1,171,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Twins tend to run in families.
Thanks. we have no history of twins in our families.

Again, its stroke of luck but is there anything that can be done naturally to conceive twins?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,202,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Thanks. we have no history of twins in our families.

Again, its stroke of luck but is there anything that can be done naturally to conceive twins?
The odds are very slim... there really isn't anything you can do to naturally have twins. What could help (again, its all on a slim chance)... is your age (the older you get, the more likely) and your race (Asians are least likely to have twins while IIRC Blacks are more likely).

Old 06-17-2012, 03:10 PM

12,360 posts, read 9,698,362 times
It is possible. It happened to me, but we each have twins in our families.

I have seen no scientific evidence of anything "natural" you can do to have twins. Just "old wives tales."

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
Of course, but it's not really likely that you can intentionally conceive twins. Identical twins are a rare occurence, but fraternal twins have to do with fertility and twins run in the family. Often women produce two eggs after age 30, the chances of twins goes up -- ironically as fertility declines for many women.

Why would you really want to have twins? I have twins and mine, they went full term - all the way to 40 weeks (ugh!!) were easy but I know people who thought it was quite difficult. Many twins end up premature -- in fact the risk of that is significantly higher, even two months too early can be difficult on the babies. You don't get the one-on-one time with them.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 9,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would you really want to have twins? I have twins and mine, they went full term - all the way to 40 weeks (ugh!!) were easy but I know people who thought it was quite difficult. Many twins end up premature -- in fact the risk of that is significantly higher, even two months too early can be difficult on the babies. You don't get the one-on-one time with them.
I have to second this. I have fraternal twins boys (and I adore them), and conceived them naturally with no family history at all, and no "risk" factors... and I was not initially a happy camper when I found out that there were two in there! Twins are a LOT of work, and can be absolutely overwhelming in infancy and sometimes beyond that. There's a reason that humans generally carry one child at a time; our young really demand one-on-one attention. It can be really tough to give that to two kids who are at the same developmental stage all the time. It's tough in a way that is NOT the same as having two non-twin kids, even if they are close in age.

And as the previous poster said, many twins are premature. Mine were born at 31 weeks after a VERY scary and dangerous delivery, and we were blessed beyond measure that they have no lasting health complications. They did stay in the NICU for a month and rack up six-digit medical bills, however.

My boys are the light of my life, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Now that they are older, their bond is extremely close and I see how special it is. I still think it's a little silly to wish for twins, though.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM

779 posts, read 587,789 times
My grandmother was a fraternal twin. Obviously no IVF, and there are no other twins in my family history that I am aware of.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM

16,928 posts, read 13,866,478 times
Some people naturally ovulate more than one egg per cycle, and can get pregnant with fraternal twins that way. This can happen multiple times to the same woman, or not; and can also run in families. Identical twins happen when 1 fertilized egg splits in half to form 2 babies.

I'm guessing that you don't have a child yet. I used to think having twins would be great too... until I had just 1 baby. I can't imagine the added stress of having multiples If you really want them, your best bet would be to take clomid, a drug that promotes ovulation. I don't really think an ethical doctor would help you conceive multiples without any history of fertility problems though. Twin pregnancies are higher risk than singles. They are often born pre-term, and with all the risks that go along with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy