U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM

16,557 posts, read 16,162,351 times

Advertisements

My husband and I waited until I was three months pregnant before we told anyone. However, my mother said that she guessed when we saw her at about six weeks.

I had known several women who lost a baby at a few weeks of pregnancy. They said that they had wished that they hadn't told everyone about their pregnancy so early.

One of the women at work was so private about her pregnancy that she just bought larger size clothes and didn't tell the other other teachers and her students until she started wearing maternity clothes at about seven months. Most of the adults had quietly speculated and even some of her 4th graders were wondering outloud if she might be having baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,998,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Just a question regarding this topic... if you wait and tell people until later and something does happen, how do you explain the sadness, perhaps missed days from work, etc...? Assuming you know and are getting excited (buying stuff, getting room ready, etc...), wouldn't it make it more awkward to have to say I was pregnant, but lost it all in the same sentence?
How many people are we talking about? If you start getting ready, etc. long before everyone knows, they will wonder if you have lost your mind.

When you should tell depend on YOU and what YOU want to do. All of us have met the woman who acts as if she were the first one in the entire world to ever get pregnant. They act as if they invented the process. They are PITA.

Miscarriages and still-born babies happen. More often than you think. If you haven't told, then it's not uncommon to just not mention the pregnancy. You can go quite a few months before it is obvious.

I tell you one thing, if a woman tells early, there will be a good chance of her getting sick and tired of being asked about it, how she is doing, is it a boy or girl, morning sickness, etc.etc.etc. Be smart, keep the mouth shut for as long as possible. One word of warning.....tell the in-laws first. You don't want the MIL to find out on the gossip line.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM

24,548 posts, read 28,963,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Nope, i'm still old fashioned. I didn't tell my work about our pregnancy until 30 weeks for the above reason LoL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My husband and I waited until I was three months pregnant before we told anyone. However, my mother said that she guessed when we saw her at about six weeks.

I had known several women who lost a baby at a few weeks of pregnancy. They said that they had wished that they hadn't told everyone about their pregnancy so early.

One of the women at work was so private about her pregnancy that she just bought larger size clothes and didn't tell the other other teachers and her students until she started wearing maternity clothes at about seven months. Most of the adults had quietly speculated and even some of her 4th graders were wondering outloud if she might be having baby.
This seems stranger to me than telling everyone right away. It is kind of anticlimactic and naive to wait until everyone has already figured it out.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 AM

740 posts, read 1,820,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This seems stranger to me than telling everyone right away. It is kind of anticlimactic and naive to wait until everyone has already figured it out.
Guess it's just a me thing then. I'm also one of those parents that dont like to A) talk to other parents about their kids or my own unless asked, B) Talk to childless people about my child or C) Throw every tiny little detail about my child's life into my daily conversation as if it were my own accomplishment.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM

24,548 posts, read 28,963,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Guess it's just a me thing then. I'm also one of those parents that dont like to A) talk to other parents about their kids or my own unless asked, B) Talk to childless people about my child or C) Throw every tiny little detail about my child's life into my daily conversation as if it were my own accomplishment.
OK... Not sure what one has to do with the other though. Unless you are implying that a person who tells everyone she's pregnant before month 7 is one of "those" parents who talks about their kids non-stop.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM

740 posts, read 1,820,967 times
nope. not at all.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,462,377 times
With my first pregnancy I told everyone right away because I was so excited. I lost my second baby and so with my next two pregnancies I waited until around 3 mos. I then had 3 miscarriages after that an many people never knew I was pregnant again at all because I didn't say anything.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,258,336 times
It all just comes down to personality type and comfort level. I would guess that someone willing to broadcast that they're pregnant in the early stage, is also a person who, if faced with a micarriage, would find comfort from others and not facing the loss alone.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,998,021 times
Times have changed! It used to be (before home pregnancy tests) that most women had a late periods. The medical profession quietly assumed that most of these "late" periods were actually early miscarriages.

Now, we have the tests and long before a doctor would be able to say, "yep, you're pregnant." the woman says she is pregnant 'cause the test showed the little line. And then, she has what was once just thought to be a period that a couple weeks late. Miscarriage? Often it would be heavier than usual. Of course it would be...it was late! Those clots that were often passed during late periods would have concealed the aborted egg.

If you think about what has to go on for the egg and sperm to be correctly joined and the egg developed, then it would be no wonder if Mother Nature stepped in to stop the pregnancy before the egg developed more.

Sooooo, if you are deciding that you are pregnant before you see a doctor, be aware that it is a very good chance that you will have a "late period." That egg has to do a lot before it becomes a possible fetus. Fertilization doesn't always mean that there will be a live baby in there.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM

3,871 posts, read 7,109,857 times
We told our family at 6 weeks. I'd had a previous miscarriage in which no one knew and this time I just felt the need to do everything different.

Plus all the family was together for Thanksgiving and I thought it was the perfect time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy