U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,247,968 times

Advertisements

I told right away. 3 pregnancies, 3healthy babies, now all in their 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM

3,465 posts, read 5,830,725 times
My first pregnancy I learned my lesson the hard way by telling everyone at 7 weeks.. I lost the baby after 12 weeks and need emergency d&c to remove it after i hemmorraged .thr. I think everyone felt sorry for me.. The same day I had my d&c my husbands 16 year old cousin announced she was pregnant and by some horrible act of the universe her due date was the same as mine. She went on to have her baby and to this day I still look at her chi,d and think mine would be the same age too.

.I waited till after 16 weeks the second time and went full term

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM

177 posts, read 339,113 times
After the NT scan, so about 12 or 13 weeks.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 39,384 times
My husband and I told our parents at about 8-9 weeks, IIRC. I didn't mention it publicly until 16 weeks. I know that some people choose to announce much earlier though, figuring that if something bad were to happen then they would have a larger support group to lean on. As for me, I like my privacy and wouldn't have wanted to explain what happened to very many people. Those closest to us knew, and from there we just told people as needed.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,573,669 times
Nothing wrong with telling people she's pregnant.. I don't believe in all that suspicious crap... I know many like to wait until they are at least 12 weeks... Let her enjoy the attention, considering she has been wanting a baby for such a long time.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,553,066 times
I would not recommend it until at least hearing the baby's heartbeat via ultrasound.

While it's nice to get the attention when announcing it, you need to also be open to getting attention, whether you like it or not, if you end up miscarrying.

I learned the lesson the hard way after 2 miscarriages and will not be making it public until at min. 12 weeks.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM

606 posts, read 768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
It all just comes down to personality type and comfort level. I would guess that someone willing to broadcast that they're pregnant in the early stage, is also a person who, if faced with a micarriage, would find comfort from others and not facing the loss alone.
This is the Carolyn Hax approach -- her rule of thumb is that if you'd tell someone you had a miscarriage (even if they hadn't known you were pregnant), then it's fine to tell that person you're pregnant as early as you'd like.

I had to tell around 6 weeks. I would've waited given my druthers, but I had my first HG hospitalization that week and it seemed pretty likely there'd be more. I didn't want to worry my family/coworkers.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM

15,847 posts, read 18,647,911 times
It is understandable that a 39 year old would be elated and 7 weeks is a measure of time. I also think it is a personal choice and not something I would be finding issues with if it were my friend.
I'm sort of questioning anyone that would be negative rather than supportive of such an obvious delightful life experience for their friend. What gives??

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM

15,847 posts, read 18,647,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
My husband and I told everyone that I was expecting as soon as the pregnancy test came back positive. I was about 5 weeks then. I look at it this way - if everything is going to be well, it will be, regardless of when I spill the beans so to speak. And, if it's going to go wrong, it will, no matter if we wait to tell everyone or not. It's a very personal choice - I'm glad I spilled the beans when I did. I was so excited that I couldn't hide it.
Sweet. Joyous news is made more joyous with the sharing. It is a very personal choice. Simple as that.

Last edited by JanND; 02-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,798,241 times
I had to tell my work, about 5-6 weeks in I was vomiting like CRAZY. I had to start coming in to work later than I normally did, which was fine with my boss. But I would wake up, slowly get out of bed, then vomit. It was terrible and I started to lose weight. Unfortunately my first pregnant (and only so far) ended in miscarriage at about 10 weeks.

Let your friend have her excitement. It's her baby after all, I'd be excited if I were her too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy