U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,199,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
We started telling people at around 4 weeks lol. My husband couldn't keep his mouth shut. I shared with my employer at 8 weeks, posted publicly on facebook at 10 weeks. I might be a little more hesitant to share if I felt I was at high risk for miscarriage but we are young and healthy so whatever. I would want some emotional support from family/friends if I had a miscarriage. I don't think I would keep that a secret.
Neither could DH. With the first, I didn't go for the test until I'd missed two periods, and we were absolutely sure. You had to get a blood test back then, and the results took a couple of days. Remember the old "rabbit test"? I was 25, DH 31, we'd been married five years by then, and it honestly wasn't "planned", but there you are. I have to admit, DH was happy, but I wasn't...I was scared (both of childbirth and motherhood). I didn't want children. I never liked babies. But I later changed my mind...it was one of the greatest things that ever happened to us, and I wouldn't trade oldest DD (now 32 and the mother of our two grandsons) for the world.

I made the mistake of telling my employers (two single men who were brothers owned the company) at two months into my second pregnancy, as soon as the test confirmed it. Neither of them were pleased. One of them made a snarky comment, "Get the Electrolux". The other took me behind closed doors and pressed me about why DH and I wanted another child, he didn't think we could afford it, etc. etc. He even suggested I "end" it. I adamantly told him it was PLANNED (not that it was any of his business). We'd bought a bigger house the year before, oldest was in preschool, DH had an excellent insurance plan, and we felt the time was right. He said if I insisted on having the baby, I could only be out for two weeks. After I miscarried a few weeks later, they had the gall to send me flowers. I didn't attempt another pregnancy while working for THOSE a**holes. Pregnancy was a taboo...pregnant women were "fat" and didn't fit the office culture.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-09-2018 at 04:21 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM

9,250 posts, read 3,846,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
We started telling people at around 4 weeks lol. My husband couldn't keep his mouth shut. I shared with my employer at 8 weeks, posted publicly on facebook at 10 weeks. I might be a little more hesitant to share if I felt I was at high risk for miscarriage but we are young and healthy so whatever. I would want some emotional support from family/friends if I had a miscarriage. I don't think I would keep that a secret.
wait until the 4-5th kid , your sharing side will be emptied

Old 05-10-2018, 03:36 PM

366 posts, read 181,837 times
I was around 6 weeks and told my BF to not tell his family. Which of course he did...that weekend a lost the baby.
It is personal choice. This was my 2nd miscarriage and BF's first so of course he was excited. Plus he can't keep a secret,

Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,262,043 times
I always waited until around 12 weeks to tell anyone other than my husband.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,249,934 times
It seems a bit early but it's her choice. I told my parents & sister when I found out - about 4 weeks along. I told work around 12 weeks, because I was showing early. I announced on social media later, probably closer to 20 weeks. Our parents told our aunts & uncles right away, against my wishes. It was difficult getting pregnant and so many people I'm close to experienced many miscarriages, so I tried to wait as long as I could. For the next, if it happens, I won't tell our parents right away.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM

7,003 posts, read 4,299,944 times
I told my mom and online friends the day I got the + with all six, and others closest to me knew by six weeks. Announced to everyone else around 8 weeks.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM

4,304 posts, read 3,140,285 times
I spilled the beans with our first (my son) the same day the pregnancy test turned blue! I was a day or two late for my period, I guess. I was so excited and we had been trying for a while.

My second pregnancy I had announced it after six weeks but I miscarried a week later.

My third pregnancy (my daughter), I waited a little bit. I think my OB did an ultrasound around eight weeks, so once I saw that beating heart, that's probably when I announced it.

My fourth pregnancy, I waited until eight or nine weeks but then I miscarried at ten weeks.

ETA: I should clarify that this was before social media was a thing, so by "announcing" it, I meant my family and close friends. I didn't announce to friendly acquaintances until I was showing, so somewhere around four or five months.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM

2,506 posts, read 4,917,883 times
I didn't share the news of my pregnancy til I was 14 weeks...(2nd trimester) even then I still held my breath for 20 weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy