U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM

799 posts, read 1,266,018 times

Advertisements

My friend is 39 and has wanted a baby for EVER. She is pregnant and telling everyone at 7 weeks. I am thrilled for her, but worried that this is a little soon to be spilling the news. When did you tell about your pregnancy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,985,164 times
I haven't been pregnant myself, but my best friend is pregnant with baby #2 now. She miscarried her 1st and 3rd pregnancies between five and ten weeks. She told me about #2 at 13 weeks, when she told her parents and his parents, and she told me about #4 at 16 weeks (personal drama in my life and she didn't know how to mention it). Anyway, she makes the news public (FB, email, etc) at 20 weeks after the sonogram. I like how she handles it, and I plan to follow suit.

I've had many friends make announcements as soon as the stick changes signs, and I think this is very foolish. It's their decision, of course, and I never say anything negative to them, but I would never do that. Personal decision.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM

13,501 posts, read 14,078,736 times
each person should "tell" when they want to. it is never too soon to spill the beans, if something wrong is gonna happen it can happen at anytime even if you waited a longer time to share the news.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM

24,536 posts, read 28,942,475 times
I waited almost 3 months, but I had a coworker who told everyone right away. Her choice. Some people are so sick it is hard to hide it. It is stranger to me to tell select people but not others. Another coworker told some people but not others. I heard her talking about it and knew weeks before she told me.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,656,710 times
Hmmm, she is just really excited. I never told anyone about my pregnancies until there was a reason.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,783,041 times
With my first, I told everyone as soon as the line turned pink... and then we lost him at 14 weeks. I got pregnant again right away, but waited to tell everyone until after the 15th week.

I think many people who announce it as soon as they know are just very excited about it and can't keep it to themselves. I will also venture the opinion that these same people are either pregnant for the first time and don't think (haven't experienced) anything bad happening, so they don't see any reason to wait. Or, they have been through successful pregnancies before and assume this one will be the same.

In my experience, the vast majority of folks that hold off telling everyone are the people who have suffered a loss or some other unexpected event during past pregnancies. They are the ones that have been through the awkwardness of having to tell everyone that there will be no baby.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,869,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
My friend is 39 and has wanted a baby for EVER. She is pregnant and telling everyone at 7 weeks. I am thrilled for her, but worried that this is a little soon to be spilling the news. When did you tell about your pregnancy?
When the little blue line appeared on the stick.

I didn't really have a choice though as my job involved chemical exposure and I needed reassignment. I also had to tell my sister that I wouldn't be standing up in her wedding as I'd be 8.5 months pregnant at the time. It wasn't a planned pregnancy but it was a welcome one. I don't think I could have kept it to myself anyway. I was 36 and had wanted a baby for years. My best friend was like you. She worried about me telling people too soon. Is there a risk? Yes. But getting caught up in the excitement is kind of fun. Let her enjoy this. If the does lose the baby, at her age, it may be all she ever has.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,985,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
In my experience, the vast majority of folks that hold off telling everyone are the people who have suffered a loss or some other unexpected event during past pregnancies. They are the ones that have been through the awkwardness of having to tell everyone that there will be no baby.
I agree. My friend (the one who doesn't go public until 20 weeks) is a pediatric nurse and has seen this in others. It was wise she waited after her 1st pregnancy since she miscarried. It was difficult enough without having to explain to everyone.

There's also the possibility that some older women might choose to abort if the fetus is deformed in some way (missing organs, etc). These women, in my experience, keep their pregnancies quiet until after 20 weeks also so they don't have to explain or justify anything.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,472,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Its a personal choice. There is no such thing as too early. I told everyone at 3 weeks. I knew that early.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM

35,121 posts, read 38,186,389 times
I don't think it matters when someone chooses to tell everythey, it is their baby and their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy