Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Statistically, children of older parents tend to excel academically and have greater opportunities compared to their younger parent counterparts. I think it really depends on who the parents are as individuals, their health, their level of education, and their professions.
Agree with you! Teenagers in general make lousy parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Where is your proof? This is patently untrue.
sure here is your link.
patents play no role at all in birth defects friend. 1 in 33 births is a defect.
please research b4 you call people out on the forum or at least google. thanks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1878358.stm

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
If this woman wants to use her own eggs it is insane to wait a year to try to get pregnant. She should be trying on her wedding night (and the wedding should be ASAP). People do not realize how much female fertility drops in the 40s, especially right around 43 when it falls off a cliff. They see movie stars having babies at 45+ and think that means that they can too. What no one ever discusses is that every single one of these women is using an egg donor, not her own eggs.

IVF is of limited help when your eggs are not chromsomally normal because of age. People think that IVF is a magical solution and it absolutely is not. IVF still requires good eggs, sperm, lining, and uterus. That is why many fertility practices do not have ANY IVF successes above 43. The women are just not able to make viable eggs. There is a promising new treatment called natural/low stim IVF with microarray comprehensive chromosomal screening in IVF but it is very expensive and time consuming.

I know all of this because I had my daughter at age 39 via IVF (with my own eggs) and read pretty much everything is out there about fertility. I'm shocked at how little people understand about the finite nature of female fertility. If this woman really knew the score she would not be planning to wait a year.
This post should be required reading.

Female fertility drops off several times, but the drop around age 42 is where things really become difficult. And I can't tell you how many women fire back an anecdote of someone they knew who had a baby at 43, completely missing the point. If even 10% can conceive and carry on their own past their early 40s, that produces a lot of stories, but doesn't make your chances very good.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
If this woman wants to use her own eggs it is insane to wait a year to try to get pregnant. She should be trying on her wedding night (and the wedding should be ASAP). People do not realize how much female fertility drops in the 40s, especially right around 43 when it falls off a cliff. They see movie stars having babies at 45+ and think that means that they can too. What no one ever discusses is that every single one of these women is using an egg donor, not her own eggs.

IVF is of limited help when your eggs are not chromsomally normal because of age. People think that IVF is a magical solution and it absolutely is not. IVF still requires good eggs, sperm, lining, and uterus. That is why many fertility practices do not have ANY IVF successes above 43. The women are just not able to make viable eggs. There is a promising new treatment called natural/low stim IVF with microarray comprehensive chromosomal screening in IVF but it is very expensive and time consuming.

I know all of this because I had my daughter at age 39 via IVF (with my own eggs) and read pretty much everything is out there about fertility. I'm shocked at how little people understand about the finite nature of female fertility. If this woman really knew the score she would not be planning to wait a year.
Great post, I had a baby at age 41 after trying for over a decade. I was late 20's when we started, many surgeries, tests, medications, and intervention - I was pushing 39 when we finally got everything figured out. But by then I was up against AMA (advanced materanal age). So we decided to go the donor egg route...

I was out with my baby at the make-up counter. My age came up (discussing how my skin had changed over the years and since having the baby) - the consultant told me ho excited she was to meet someone her age (she was actually 6 monsth older than me) since she really, really, wanted to have a baby "someday" .

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
Some great posts here...I met my future husband when I was 35 and we got right on it, mainly because we weren't spring chickens. I did my research and knew the stats. They're shocking, but it's important to know the facts.

It amazes me how many women are in denial. I saw such a woman on a talk show. She was 40ish. She claimed that because she was in shape and looked ten years younger, she'd have no trouble getting pregnant. "40 is the new 30, blah, blah, blah..."

Ummm, no girlfriend...It doesn't work like that.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM

316 posts, read 214,516 times
It is unfair to put an age cap on parentin or lump a group together considering other factors . What about all the teens and 20 somethings who can't care for their own kids? B Older mothers have always been around. Why is this suddenly a problem when there is worse in society? IMO ppl like Britney Spears do far worse harm to their kids. Just because you arw at what is deemed proper age for having kids doesn't mean you should.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
It is unfair to put an age cap on parentin or lump a group together considering other factors . What about all the teens and 20 somethings who can't care for their own kids? B Older mothers have always been around. Why is this suddenly a problem when there is worse in society? IMO ppl like Britney Spears do far worse harm to their kids. Just because you arw at what is deemed proper age for having kids doesn't mean you should.
You are missing the point. The medical risks are different for older mothers. That has nothing to do with parenting skills.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM

316 posts, read 214,516 times
I see far too many younger parents in their early 20s who can't properly care for their kids. Even the stable ones rely heavily on grandparents. This isn't calling of them bad , but just from what is around me. I would rather take my chances when I was older and more stable than raise a kid in turmoil. 1 in 4 or 5 pregnancies end in miscarriages. If you put age caps on parenting, you have pretty much cut eveyrone out. Not saying everyone should wait so long but medical problems aren't always related to age. Older ones may be a little less energetic and have slightly more risks ,though, overall better for the kid. I yes more concern If you read my earlier post, i said yes more concern but no reason to be paranoid.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I see far too many younger parents in their early 20s who can't properly care for their kids. Even the stable ones rely heavily on grandparents. This isn't calling of them bad , but just from what is around me. I would rather take my chances when I was older and more stable than raise a kid in turmoil. 1 in 4 or 5 pregnancies end in miscarriages. If you put age caps on parenting, you have pretty much cut eveyrone out. Not saying everyone should wait so long but medical problems aren't always related to age. Older ones may be a little less energetic and have slightly more risks ,though, overall better for the kid. I yes more concern If you read my earlier post, i said yes more concern but no reason to be paranoid.
The point is, the OP's friend might not be able to just get pregnant because she's ready now. Mother Nature doesn't wait for you to be ready. There is a good chance it is too late to even get pregnant. It doesn't necessarily mean "don't try," but it means "don't count on it."

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The point is, the OP's friend might not be able to just get pregnant because she's ready now. Mother Nature doesn't wait for you to be ready. There is a good chance it is too late to even get pregnant. It doesn't necessarily mean "don't try," but it means "don't count on it."
Those are words of wisdom for pretty much every area of life (outside death). All we can do is try. I think an appropriate, well thought plan as well as a couple of back up plans will provide a bit more insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy