Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Gah. I thought I had researched it enough.
Well, Harper is not like Sophia and Isabelle. But it's out there.

Top 100 Popular Girls Names of 2012 with Name Meanings & Origins - FamilyEducation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
A coworker just gave birth to a boy and his name is Declan. Everyone in the office just said, "HUH? How do you pronounce THAT?"

I said, "It's popular now--I think it came off of a character from a popular movie or TV show but I'm not sure." I didn't want to tell anyone that the only place I'd ever heard of the name before was on City-Data!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Haha, I am way above the target age group for this show, but I saw an episode of the Degrassi (the new one). I watched the originally Degrassi as a kid so I was curious, and there was a character on there called Declan.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A coworker just gave birth to a boy and his name is Declan. Everyone in the office just said, "HUH? How do you pronounce THAT?"

I said, "It's popular now--I think it came off of a character from a popular movie or TV show but I'm not sure." I didn't want to tell anyone that the only place I'd ever heard of the name before was on City-Data!
Revenge.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM

14 posts, read 33,252 times
Quote:

in HS a kid named aedan used to get the "huh"? now it's a top 10 name. I never heard of liam until liam neeson. now its a top 15 name. Declan might be the next big irish-american name in 5 years.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
OK, I was reading my local weekly newspaper and came across a name I had never heard before: Braylena. (Girl, age 2) I think the parents probably made it up.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
I first heard Declan on the ABC Family show "Kyle XY".

Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11 View Post
in HS a kid named aedan used to get the "huh"? now it's a top 10 name. I never heard of liam until liam neeson. now its a top 15 name. Declan might be the next big irish-american name in 5 years.
Probably will be. Not too many people have heard of it yet, though, at least not older people whose friends aren't having children.

One of my coworkers had a son last year. The baby's name is Robert. Imagine that. (They call him Robbie.)

Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I first heard Declan on the ABC Family show "Kyle XY".
I've never even heard of that show, but I'm not a really big TV fan and I'm sort of out of touch on trendy pop culture (and resulting trendy pop baby names, apparently!). Mostly watch the true crime stuff, but I do find Modern Family very funny.

No, wait--I think I'm really AHEAD of the trendy pop culture stuff. Twenty-one years ago, I named my daughter Adele (after her paternal grandmother). For most of her childhood, people had trouble pronouncing or spelling her name, and she got the occasional "HUH?" even though it's a name that goes back centuries. But now, everyone knows that name!

Alas, my kid can't sing.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
I've never even heard of that show, but I'm not a really big TV fan and I'm sort of out of touch on trendy pop culture (and resulting trendy pop baby names, apparently!). Mostly watch the true crime stuff, but I do find Modern Family very funny.

No, wait--I think I'm really AHEAD of the trendy pop culture stuff. Twenty-one years ago, I named my daughter Adele (after her paternal grandmother). For most of her childhood, people had trouble pronouncing or spelling her name, and she got the occasional "HUH?" even though it's a name that goes back centuries. But now, everyone knows that name!

Alas, my kid can't sing.
I'm always lost with regard to pop culture. In fact, I was recently teased by my professor in my Sociology of Popular Music class because I was the only one who hadn't heard of the song "Call Me Maybe". What can I say.. I don't listen to radio unless it's NPR!

Occasionally I find out about a show through my older son though, because my mom watches a lot of TV and so when he goes to visit her he is exposed to it then he tells me about it. Otherwise I'd have no clue. As it is I tend to find out about things and watch them a year or more after they have had their run of popularity. But yeah, that is how I found out about Kyle XY and it was a pretty decent show, surprised me.

I didn't know who Adele was until last summer! Again, no radio. No cable. Kids who like "underground" and indie stuff so no exposure there. Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy