Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think you are absolutely correct and I have to plead ignorance on that. I did not know at the time when I posted this thread that there was such animosity between the "Natural" vs "Medical" birth people.

Had I known that, I would have definitely posted in a different manner.
Again, there's not a rivalry for those of us who resulted in medical births... Many of us were planning a natural one! It's best to remain flexible to all your options and have a "back up" for emergencies. I'm glad that we now have an array of choices. Only 50 years ago, it was a very different situation in the US. Change takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I think we do as well. It is still so clinical even with the L & D rooms that is heightens the tension.

I just believe there should be someone nearby with medical experience only because of the risk of bleeding to death.

I didn't realize it would happen to me, but it really can happen to anyone and you don't know until it starts that you are in trouble.
I realize you had a terrible experience with a midwife but it may help you to know that all midwives (should) carry pitocin with them to a birth. This is used to stop the bleeding at hospitals as well. If you have complications research shows that it is best to be within 30 mins of a hospital. Midwives have relationships with these hospitals and they will be ready for you when you come in the door.

Also they are with you the entire birth non stop so they get a very good feel about the progression of labor and are able to identify complications earlier than doctors most of the time.

The key is to give birth in the most comfortable way for you. It really does effect the experience. If you are looking for a midwife do a lot of research and have more than one meeting with all of them. Have a list of questions ready to get the feel for if they will be a good match. Same goes for an OB.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
There is a culture of fear around childbirth in America and yeah it hurts, but that doesn't mean you are dying. The pain is there to help your labor it is all part of a very natural beautiful process. Some women have no tolerance for pain, but those of us who do are perfectly safe choosing home birth.

This study says we no official issues with bleeding, I personally had trouble with bleeding after my first and second.

"There is little or no evidence to support the belief that people with red hair have a higher chance than people with other hair colours to hemorrhage or suffer other bleeding complications;[26][27] however, one study reports a link between red hair and a higher rate of bruising.[27]"

They can't seem to decide if I am more tolerant of pain or less tolerant. I would say more with some types and less with other kinds of pain just like this study says. I have had nerve tests (sending electrical impulses) and really didn't feel any pain that they claimed i would.

"Sensitivity to pain
In people with red hair, the cells that produce skin and hair pigment have a mutated MC1R. Researchers have found that this mutation triggers the release of more of the hormone that stimulates these cells, but this hormone also stimulates a brain receptor related to pain sensitivity.[32]
Two studies have demonstrated that people with red hair have differential sensitivity to pain compared to people with other hair colours, but they differ as to the direction of the effect. One study found that people with red hair are more sensitive to thermal pain (a natural low vitamin K level is to blame for this)[33] while another study concluded that redheads are less sensitive to pain from electrical stimuli.
Researchers have found that people with red hair require greater amounts of anesthetic, however this is controversial and other research publications have concluded that women with naturally red hair require less of the painkiller pentazocine than do either women of other hair colours or men of any hair colour. A study showed women with red hair had a greater analgesic response to that particular pain medication than men.[34] A follow-up study by the same group showed that men and women with red hair had a greater analgesic response to morphine-6-glucuronide.[35]"

I do understand most women do not have trouble with childbirth but is it worth the risk of losing your baby or your life? I think even home births are ok as long as you have a medically supervised one, as in a hospital within 5 minutes of the birthplace.
Quote:

This may be personal but were your grandparents born at home? Around what year?
I believe they were both at home.
The early 20's. One was on her 6th child the other her 4th. Interestingly enough they were both redheads which is where i got the recessive gene from.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
I used a midwife, for my first child, AT A HOSPITAL.

My second child happened to be delivered by an MD, well actually by my DH with the assistance of an MD, also AT A HOSPITAL.

Sorry, but any children I have will be born at a hospital. If anything happens, I'd like to be there, and if my insurance is willing to pay for it, that's what I'll be doing. Happily.

You do whatever you want (this is to the OP) but really, you don't have to come off so pushy about it.

Wow , had to edit it, looking back i think it was the first one my DH delivered, w/the midwife (I think I have a picture of the bloody sneaker, eeeeewww!). Second time I got smart and told my DH he needed to be at the end of me that required the moral support! lol! So much for an unforgettable, once in lifetime occurrence. I can't believe I actually mixed that one up!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times
Quote:
This study says we no official issues with bleeding, I personally had trouble with bleeding after my first and second.

"There is little or no evidence to support the belief that people with red hair have a higher chance than people with other hair colours to hemorrhage or suffer other bleeding complications;[26][27] however, one study reports a link between red hair and a higher rate of bruising.[27]"

They can't seem to decide if I am more tolerant of pain or less tolerant. I would say more with some types and less with other kinds of pain just like this study says. I have had nerve tests (sending electrical impulses) and really didn't feel any pain that they claimed i would.

"Sensitivity to pain
In people with red hair, the cells that produce skin and hair pigment have a mutated MC1R. Researchers have found that this mutation triggers the release of more of the hormone that stimulates these cells, but this hormone also stimulates a brain receptor related to pain sensitivity.[32]
Two studies have demonstrated that people with red hair have differential sensitivity to pain compared to people with other hair colours, but they differ as to the direction of the effect. One study found that people with red hair are more sensitive to thermal pain (a natural low vitamin K level is to blame for this)[33] while another study concluded that redheads are less sensitive to pain from electrical stimuli.
Researchers have found that people with red hair require greater amounts of anesthetic, however this is controversial and other research publications have concluded that women with naturally red hair require less of the painkiller pentazocine than do either women of other hair colours or men of any hair colour. A study showed women with red hair had a greater analgesic response to that particular pain medication than men.[34] A follow-up study by the same group showed that men and women with red hair had a greater analgesic response to morphine-6-glucuronide.[35]"

I do understand most women do not have trouble with childbirth but is it worth the risk of losing your baby or your life? I think even home births are ok as long as you have a medically supervised one, as in a hospital within 5 minutes of the birthplace.

I believe they were both at home.
The early 20's. One was on her 6th child the other her 4th. Interestingly enough they were both redheads which is where i got the recessive gene from.
Did I miss something?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
I realize you had a terrible experience with a midwife but it may help you to know that all midwives (should) carry pitocin with them to a birth. This is used to stop the bleeding at hospitals as well. If you have complications research shows that it is best to be within 30 mins of a hospital. Midwives have relationships with these hospitals and they will be ready for you when you come in the door.
I had a midwife delivery at the hospital. They asked what i wanted and i said, well i have no history of problems so let's do A midwife.
I was induced for over 24 hours so i was already ON pitocin. And I still started bleeding out after the birth. The midwife wasn't even paying attention and my husband is the one who pointed out that i started bleeding all over the place.

I just saw a show and they said that even 5-10 minutes away is to long if the baby is in trouble during delivery.
So I would think home birthing centers would choose to be within 5 minutes of a real hospital so they could save you or your babies life if it came to that. If you are really having it at home and are far away from an ER than that is your decision. Everyone is free to make their own.

Quote:
The key is to give birth in the most comfortable way for you. It really does effect the experience. If you are looking for a midwife do a lot of research and have more than one meeting with all of them. Have a list of questions ready to get the feel for if they will be a good match. Same goes for an OB.
I think the key to birth is to end up with a healthy happy baby and mother and the best place to assure that is your end result is in the hospital or a medically staffed birthing center. I can handle 2 days of discomfort to gauruntee we both survive.

I wish it could be cozier but I am more worried about the health of the baby. I have no desire to go to a birth center or stay at home with my history.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Did I miss something?
She mentioned the some women have a higher pain tolerance and I was pointing out that this is true because I have red hair and there are a ton of studies done on pain threshold and redheads.Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During birth I have never had painkillers so I wouldn't know if they were effective or not. Do they give morphine during labor? If not what DO they give?

I belive that even though hospitals are not warm, fuzzy or homey, that they provide a safe sterile place for a woman to have a baby with medical professionals right there to ensure a safe delivery.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM

87 posts, read 372,986 times
It's ridiculous that there's any kind of competition between those who choose to birth at home or in the hospital! It's a personal choice, we have to do what works for us.

Like I related before, I wanted a homebirth, but a kind of intuition (and my husband, a doc) told me it wasn't right this time. And if I hadn't been there and my daughter hadn't been on the monitor, she would likely not be here today - not because of any inherent health problems, but because my cervix's unwillingness to cooperate left me contracting at a ridiculous rate with no result, and it simply wore her out.

They did not push a C-section. In fact, they did what they could to avoid it even though my baby was in distress, and I delivered - eventually. The environment was pleasant, I was left alone, no doctors or nurses pushed anything on me.

What we need to acknowledge is that there are huge differences in hospitals, doctors and staff. We should not make sweeping generalizations. Some are pushy, time-driven and insensitive. Others are wonderful and let you have an almost home-birth experience in the hospital, with medical help there if needed.

Some births are relatively easy with manageable pain. Others are extremely painful - to the point of needing medication. It doesn't mean one person is weaker or less tolerant of pain. It means the experience is different for every woman and for every birth.

Let's admit that our own personal experiences greatly impact our future decisions. If you'd had great experiences with home births or know others who have, you are likely to favor it. If, like me, you chose a hospital birth, which in the end, saved your new baby's life, you would be more likely to favor medical backup. But, I personally, don't judge anyone. I would have loved to have a home birth, but in the end it wasn't right for us - and that was the best decision I've ever made!

For me, the hospital offers the best of both worlds. I find an OB I love, who respects my wishes. I let the hospital staff know clearly what my expectations and wishes are. I have a birth plan. I stay in control of the process, consulting with the OB as needed. I enjoy a pleasant, dimly lighted homey room with my own music. I kick everyone out except my husband, and request minimal nurse checks and the doctor's presence only when necessary. My baby immediately nurses and cuddles with me and rooms in at all times. And when something goes wrong, they're there to help.

Oh almost forgot to mention that we considered having a midwife or doula at the hospital to help. But, my husband and I decided we didn't want anyone there except for the two of us. We wanted to enjoy it as a couple. And other than our moments of crisis and the actual delivery, our wishes were honored.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
Quote:
She mentioned the some women have a higher pain tolerance and I was pointing out that this is true because I have red hair and there are a ton of studies done on pain threshold and redheads.Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During birth I have never had painkillers so I wouldn't know if they were effective or not. Do they give morphine during labor? If not what DO they give?

I belive that even though hospitals are not warm, fuzzy or homey, that they provide a safe sterile place for a woman to have a baby with medical professionals right there to ensure a safe delivery.
Hospitals are NOT sterile. Most infections a baby can get come FROM the hospital. I think because you had complications you are unfairly characterizing homebirth as unsafe. If I had your history, I would be in a hospital too.

Research shows that with an uncomplicated pregnancy it is safe for a woman to be up to 30 mins away. Of course closer is better. It takes over 20 mins for an OR to be prepped for surgery. Choose a certified midwife as they will have backup at a hospital.

I just want women to know that in countries where homebirth is the norm for healthy pregnancies there are fewer maternal mortalities, infant mortalities, infections, and unnecessary interventions. Why should anyone assume that hospitals are safer when all evidence shows that you are more likely to end up with an unnecessary C-section, an infection, or a dead baby.

I know of a few really good books on this subject if anyone would like to know. Also the movie "The Business of Being Born" was a great movie.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimik View Post
What we need to acknowledge is that there are huge differences in hospitals, doctors and staff. We should not make sweeping generalizations. Some are pushy, time-driven and insensitive. Others are wonderful and let you have an almost home-birth experience in the hospital, with medical help there if needed.

Some births are relatively easy with manageable pain. Others are extremely painful - to the point of needing medication. It doesn't mean one person is weaker or less tolerant of pain. It means the experience is different for every woman and for every birth.

Let's admit that our own personal experiences greatly impact our future decisions. If you'd had great experiences with home births or know others who have, you are likely to favor it. If, like me, you chose a hospital birth, which in the end, saved your new baby's life, you would be more likely to favor medical backup. But, I personally, don't judge anyone. I would have loved to have a home birth, but in the end it wasn't right for us - and that was the best decision I've ever made!
Very well stated, and I agree. For me, my first birth, a hospital birth, was completely not what I wanted. I also felt pressured and managed. For my second birth, I wanted to be in control and alone (except DH), so I chose to give birth at home w/o a midwife. It was what worked for me, I know many would not want that and I certainly don't want to push anyone towards that.

My biggest concern is that many women don't even know they have a choice, and that they should be able to have a birth plan or a say in their birth. Many women just do what they are told by the doctor because they don't realize that you can and should question your caregiver. If every one had all the facts and then made a decision base on what they want, I would be much happier with births in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy