Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 9,168 times

Advertisements

My hubbie-to-be and I are ready to start a family, and of the people I know, most of them had a gap after discontinuing birth control pills and starting to have regular cycles again. I'm approaching the end of an annual BCP prescrip and my so and I are thinking about not refilling it. If it takes a few months to get regular again, that will take us up to when we are married to possibly conceive, which is fine. Wondering how quickly people here got pregnant after going off the pill. I know everyone is diff but I wanted to see what kind of experience other people had as far as getting preg right away or it taking a while. Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Immediately. Seriously. We thought it would take up to a year (I'd been on birth control non stop since I was 15 for heavy periods--over 12 years). I stopped taking it in June (last period started July 1), and I was pregnant in July.

The doctors all rolled their eyes at me when I said I thought it would take a while. Multiple midwives/OBGYNs have now told me that when a woman is experiencing trouble conceiving, one of the first things they try is putting her on birth control for 3-4 months to regulate her cycle and often she will get pregnant the very next month.

Wish I had known that back in June!!!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
To quote myself from a previous thread:

Oral contraceptives do not cause infertility.

Pregnancy Rates After Oral Contraceptive Use

"Cronin and colleagues tracked nearly 60,000 OC users, including those on drospirenone pills, for their satisfaction with their contraceptive efficacy and their chances of pregnancy after discontinuing OC use. About 20% achieved a pregnancy in their first cycle after cessation and 80% after 1 year, irrespective of the type of OC used. These data are comparable to women wishing to conceive but not having been on OCs. Naturally, women are older when they stop contraception than when they started and age does have an effect on fecundity. OC use does not positively or negatively affect age-appropriate fertility."

More on the study:

Past Pill Use Doesn't Lower Fertility

Women who use Depo-Provera may have a longer time interval to pregnancy because the effect wears off sooner in some women than others.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It took me more than four years.

The first couple of months of pregnancy are exhausting and often you feel very emotional (kind of like pms times a hundred). If you're planning a big wedding or think it's going to be stressful for any reason, you may not want to risk being pregnant at the same time.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Every situation as different! (As you already knew from your post) It took us several years as well. Some women get pregnant immediately.

If age isn't a concern, I'd say just wait but of course it is all up to you. Congrats and good luck!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I got off the pill September, and then pregnant by November. Unfortunately I miscarried in January and went to see my doctor today and after doing all this blood work to determine everything is "fine" I'm now doing MORE blood tests to check my hormones and so on...

If you aren't ready, then don't get off the pill because you can get pregnant instantly. Pretty much all my friends who got off the pill got pregnant right away (within 1-3 months).

Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
It took me 6 cycles after stopping BC to conceive my first.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
"Hubbie TO BE?"

Do you want to get pregnant before you get married, or after?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
When are you getting married, I'd stay on the pill until then unless you want to be a pregnant bride! Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to look slim in your dress and not worry about toasting with alcohol and so on at the wedding, I'd wait.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I'd wait until you are married before I stopped BC. In early pregnancy you feel exhausted and many women have morning sickness. You do not want to be planning a wedding or be getting married and honeymooning when you do not feel well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy