U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 PM

68 posts, read 231,681 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting our very first child in late October, and I want to enjoy those great moments when I am at the hospital with her and not be worrying about how much the doctors and insurance are swindling from us. I just wanted to perform some due diligence to find out exactly what things need to be done and how much I will be paying down to the dollar. With insurance companies confusing consumers with multiple contradictions on their plans, I want to be sure I'm not paying through the roof for things.

I spoke to the finance director at the hospital in which we will be delivering, and all he could give me was a total estimate without any breakdown of what costs what. If anyone has any helpful information within this realm, it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,295,185 times
Childbirth is a question mark- a giant question mark. You won't know until it happens what it will cost.

Your wife may not make it to the hospital in time- she may be delivered by a state police officer on the side of the road. You may be delivering the baby via instructions over the phone at your house. She may get to the hospital and have a quick, safe and easy delivery. She may get to the hospital and be in labor for over a day with the added cost of that. She may need to be induced. She may need a C-section.

Not to scare you, but you are not ordering a new car. You're not going to line up features, options ahead of time and decide which ones to take and which to discard.

With luck there will be no after birth complications for either mom or baby. The cost of birth is not something for which you can plan. Yes, you can ask for the cost of a standard, uncomplicated delivery. That's your basic plan, anything else is on top of it. Babies don't co-operate. They come when they're ready and how they come won't be known until it happens.

When it comes time to have that child you'll want to be in the best hospital, with the best doctor and the best neo natal intensive care unit nearby and cost will be the last thing on your mind. This is the life of your wife and the life of your child.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,065,443 times
For my induced VBA2C i paid over $2000 in 2007. That was for 24hrs in the hospital, induction, pain meds, etc.

I have no idea on my c-section in 05 or 06 but i imagine way more than $2000 because i was there 5dys each and my 06 section baby stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks after.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,669,534 times
My wife gave birth to our first one in March of last year. The crappy thing about it is that there is no real itemized list- we received a bill from the hospital for $20,000 that had no real break down- it just said "general childbirth services", with a couple of categories broken out for things like "nursery" which made no sense since our kid was never actually in the nursery, he was always in our room.
Then there are separate bills that come from the anesthesiologists, the doctors themselves, etc. Those are a little better than the actual hospital for breaking down costs, but it's still much more vague than I'd like, and doesn't really tell me what the over-inflated bill is actually specifically for.

Anyway that $20,000 hospital bill was ridiculous, but luckily insurance knocked it down to just $900 for us out of pocket- most of that was not paid by them either, but was knocked down through pre-negotiated pricing that brought it down to a $2,000 bill, $900 of which we then were billed. Then the bills from others totaled maybe another $1500 after insurance for us. (my wife had a C-section, so hers was higher than some would be)

Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 AM

421 posts, read 467,315 times
Doesn't your insurance have a max you will have to pay? I would think they will be more help then the hospital (who aren't psychic) or a forum of people.

Call insurance, talk to someone who really knows (not usually the first person who answers the phone), take notes, including a name, etc.

You could always hire a midwife and do it at home. They usually have a set fee. But if something goes wrong, you will still end up at the hospital.

Hummmm...maybe you could adjust your attitude about being "swindled" too.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM

293 posts, read 261,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus123 View Post
It is sad that the middle class has to pay so much for childbirth when poor people who have so many kids pay nothing. Sad.
Herp derp class warfare.

Also, *citation needed*.

I am sure those poor folk are just loving the poor life of having to pay nothing as you claim.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,798,128 times
It will vary depending on what happens in your individual circumstances but you really should ask the hospital for an itemized statement after getting the bill. I asked for one and found that they had charged me five times for the same test. The bill was inflated. I fought them on it and I eventually (after a lot of phone calls and some crazy negotiations) got the bill reduced. My insurance company was not very helpful. They clearly didn't see the itemized bill or even care to see it.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM

988 posts, read 716,869 times
Twin preemies clocked in at just over 1/2 million. Out of pocket was $3600. Had "Cadillac" insurance just in case. Dodged a freaking bullet.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,171,389 times
No way of knowing..

My Sister had her baby at 31 week, healthy pregnancy until that day, then baby turned and kicked the placenta and it literally "shattered" in her stomach. It came out in 9 pieces... it was like a bath faucet of blood from her. She was in the hospital at the time.. baby came out, had to be resuscitated, then had two collapsed lungs, which kept collapsing , was transferred to Miami Childrens for 3 weeks. She's still getting bills for $50,000 here, $125,000 there.. just sit back and enjoy the birth, there's no way of knowing from one day to the next with a pregnancy

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM

34 posts, read 36,496 times
maybe around $20, 000 for the delivery, but you don't need to be contacting the Medical Center. You need to contact your insurance provider and ask them to send you a outlet of your plan again and what percentage of hospital stay it pays and what percentage of delivery it covers.

We really can't tell you cause we don't know what state you reside in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy