Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:52 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times

Advertisements

To have the best of both worlds, have you considered a "unique" middle name and a more"common" first name? This way you can call her by her middle name and she can choose to go by her middle name or her first name once she is older.

Doing genealogy research I discovered that many of my relatives were called by their middle name. Seems to have been common practice in our family. Also, it was common for at least one child to have the mother's maiden name as a middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM

244 posts, read 248,170 times
I am afraid Tom Cruise has ruined "Valkyrie" for me forever, but Kyrie would be kinda cool. Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife whatever you choose!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
To have the best of both worlds, have you considered a "unique" middle name and a more"common" first name? This way you can call her by her middle name and she can choose to go by her middle name or her first name once she is older.

Doing genealogy research I discovered that many of my relatives were called by their middle name. Seems to have been common practice in our family. Also, it was common for at least one child to have the mother's maiden name as a middle name
Both of these are very common in my family, as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Some of the names on your list have a very masculine sound when said aloud...think teacher doing roll in class. While very pretty spelled out, no one will see the spelling upon hearing the name for the first time. Children are terrible creatures and will find any reason to tease and torment someone who is singled out...
Another BS reason...my daughters name is VERY asculine...but she's never been teased about it by teachers are students. A friend had a baby 6 years ago and gave her a unique masculine sounding name more common as as a surname...again no issues.

Children aren't terrible creatures...some of their parents are...because this is all where it comes from....the oatents.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Olivia is Italian. While it's therefore not a Nazi name, it's still an Axis name. If the OP tosses in a Japanese name, we'll know for sure!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 PM

211 posts, read 164,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Olivia is Italian. While it's therefore not a Nazi name, it's still an Axis name. If the OP tosses in a Japanese name, we'll know for sure!
I literally just laughed out loud....Oh and yes I love Scandinavian and Irish names as that's mine and my wife's heritage and we like to pass that along in the names we choose...I love Astrid and Ingrid as well but wife doesn't. I LOVE Aidan but again wife doesn't and its very popular as well.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
If you like Scandinavian names, why not Sigourney?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
I literally just laughed out loud....Oh and yes I love Scandinavian and Irish names as that's mine and my wife's heritage and we like to pass that along in the names we choose...I love Astrid and Ingrid as well but wife doesn't. I LOVE Aidan but again wife doesn't and its very popular as well.
Ah...you don't know WWI I much....hear of Musicilini? Anyway...not all the names on your list hit the hot buttons...Olivia probably least of all....but more than a few do.

I am not saying don't choosee those names. ....but don't dismiss the comment. You may never think of of the movement. ...I hope not...but it's out there....and unfortunately growing in some areas....don't dismiss the posters commentjust because it's not were you are. You may one day have to shut someone up over it.....and wouldn't you rather understand where it comes from beforehand.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Ah...you don't know WWI I much....hear of Musicilini? Anyway...not all the names on your list hit the hot buttons...Olivia probably least of all....but more than a few do.

I am not saying don't choosee those names. ....but don't dismiss the comment. You may never think of of the movement. ...I hope not...but it's out there....and unfortunately growing in some areas....don't dismiss the posters commentjust because it's not were you are. You may one day have to shut someone up over it.....and wouldn't you rather understand where it comes from beforehand.
Is that a pasta?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 AM

211 posts, read 164,997 times
Lol...We picked a name last night...longest its ever taken...Yall crack me up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy