Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times

Advertisements

Ultrarunner, I would love it if you kept us updated, about your friends.Also my husband and i have kept them in our thoughts and prayers. Blessings,Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM

43 posts, read 133,240 times
There is no magic age.

I have friends that could not conceive in their 20's and needed artificial means to conceive, so infertility is not limited to those that are "old". I also have friends that really wanted kids at 30 but could not keep a pregnancy until they were in their late 30's

I am 31, with no plans to TTC for another 2-3 years. Having a child now, just because I am over 30, would be irresponsible IMO. We don't have the savings account to provide for a child (and a child's college) nor have we spent enough time just being a couple and building our marriage.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,391 times
Depends on the woman and the man. I had all mine between 30-36 and I am in poor health, my youngest is 17, and I am tired.
I have a friend who had two kids after me, probably at 38, and she is happy--but widowed.

I hate to see it so late that the kids end up having no parents or loosing a parent before age 25. I lost my dad (he was 52) when I was 30 and it was tough even then.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Default Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Ultrarunner, I would love it if you kept us updated, about your friends.Also my husband and i have kept them in our thoughts and prayers. Blessings,Michelle
The babies are due in May and all is well... The decision was made to schedule a early delivery to reduce possible complications of going to term with triplets at age 50!

Mother and Father to be feel abundantly blessed after wanting children for so long... Two Girls and a Boy

Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
My perspective exactly, except I have a few more years on you. Just because I want children doesn't mean I am in right place to have them. If it doesn't happen then I will just have to deal with my own personal feelings about that versus bringing children into a situation that I don't feel is ready for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennabugs View Post
There is no magic age.

I have friends that could not conceive in their 20's and needed artificial means to conceive, so infertility is not limited to those that are "old". I also have friends that really wanted kids at 30 but could not keep a pregnancy until they were in their late 30's

I am 31, with no plans to TTC for another 2-3 years. Having a child now, just because I am over 30, would be irresponsible IMO. We don't have the savings account to provide for a child (and a child's college) nor have we spent enough time just being a couple and building our marriage.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The babies are due in May and all is well... The decision was made to schedule a early delivery to reduce possible complications of going to term with triplets at age 50!

Mother and Father to be feel abundantly blessed after wanting children for so long... Two Girls and a Boy
That is wonderful to hear! I'm so glad all is well and wish them the best of luck!

My cousin and his wife had twins at 51 and they are doing great 9 years later!!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Oh thank you so much, for keeping us posted. I have thought about your friends alot and have been keeping them in my prayers, and will keep on doing so. Blessings michelle

Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Curious what you think? 35? 40? 45?
I think it is personal choice. I also think that realistically, people have to plan the older they are. What if something happens, is there other family that will raise your child?

I had my last at 28, the pregnancy kicked my butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You seem to have a very iron clad opinion.I don't know how old you are now,but lets just say for the sake of keeping the discussion going,that something happened and you and your husband were no longer together.Then at age 37 you meet Mr. Wonderful, man of your dreams.It's his first marriage[he's been waiting for you all of his life] and he wants children.Do you mean to tell me that you would flat out say,"sorry,no kids for me after 35!" ???
Actually happened to me. We ended up discussing it and mutually decided we would not bring a child into our lives. He has a now 30 year old son, I have kids that are 22 and 15. After almost 10 years do we wonder if we made the right choice? Sure we do. But we felt that it wouldn't be fair to possibly not be around or healthy for their life.

Freak things happen. I injured my back a few years ago, so it's a good thing we did not have a child. It was hard enough trying to give my daughter what she needed.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
I also believe that there is certainly not a cut and dried answer for this one. All sorts of things factor in here.

I had my first child at 22 and second at 26 and was 'done' as far as I was concerned. All kinds of things changed in my life. I had my third child at 38 and 4th child at 43.
In my personal experience, being pregnant and delivering a child got easier and shorter each time. There were absolutely no complications and nothing other than age to be conssidered a risk factor.
(Side note-regarding Down's, everyone supports that being the biggest risk as you get older, yet I don't know a single Down's child born to a woman over 40. I've know dozens over the years and every single one was born to a mom younger than 35)

Currently I am 48 with a 5, 10, 21 and almost 26 yr old and love my life! It's worked out prefect for us all!

Sure there is the possibility my youngest might lose me before he's grown....but it's the same risk my oldest had when she was 5 and I was 27. You just can't live life worrying about when you will die, when you need to live life in order to live!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I

Sure there is the possibility my youngest might lose me before he's grown....but it's the same risk my oldest had when she was 5 and I was 27. You just can't live life worrying about when you will die, when you need to live life in order to live!
Excellent point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy