Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times

Advertisements

Hep B immunization is a public health issue. The reason it is given at birth is that it is quite effective at interrupting transmission of Hep B infection from mother to child. If the newborn is born to a mother who is infected with Hep B, and does not receive the vaccine at birth, or treatment, the baby will very likely contract a chronic Hep B infection, and develop liver cancer by the teenage years. So since the kid is going to need it anyway, and since there is the possibility of a mother somehow not being screened before birth, it makes the most sense to do this vaccine right after birth for every baby.

But the fact is, if the mom was immunized against Hep B, and was screened for infection with Hep B during the pregnancy and found to be immune, then there is really no chance of the baby contracting Hep B at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hep B immunization is a public health issue. The reason it is given at birth is that it is quite effective at interrupting transmission of Hep B infection from mother to child. If the newborn is born to a mother who is infected with Hep B, and does not receive the vaccine at birth, or treatment, the baby will very likely contract a chronic Hep B infection, and develop liver cancer by the teenage years. So since the kid is going to need it anyway, and since there is the possibility of a mother somehow not being screened before birth, it makes the most sense to do this vaccine right after birth for every baby.

But the fact is, if the mom was immunized against Hep B, and was screened for infection with Hep B during the pregnancy and found to be immune, then there is really no chance of the baby contracting Hep B at birth.
Not at birth, but there is a chance of the child contracting Hep B in infancy and having a 90% chance of becoming a carrier for life, getting liver cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, etc in later life. Mom's Hep B status can change from the time she's tested in early pregnancy until delivery, sometimes testing doesn't get done as with late prenatal care, or some reason. It's preferable to vaccinate in infancy, when the chance of developing complications from the disease is much higher than later on.

Once Hep B was recommended for infants in 1991, many states added Hep B to their school vaccine requirements as well. Some, like Colorado, instituted a two-tier program, requiring it of incoming kindergartners and 7th graders, so that eventually it was required for all grades. My oldest daughter, born in 1984 (age 32), missed that requirement by a year, but we got her the vaccine anyway. But there are lots of moms that age and older who were not vaccinated. And other states just required the vaccine for K entry, making the oldest ones to have been required to get it in their 20s. So there are many non-immune moms out there.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yes, that is just my opinion, but here's why:

60 Dangers of the Hepatitis B Vaccine

The behaviors that cause Hepatitis B are not associated with a child that's only 12 hours old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I didn't have any trouble declining the hep B vaccine when my DD was born, personally. All I did was say we didn't want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Your lucky they accepted that so easily...

They have an agenda to compromise as many immune systems as they can!!!

Don't even try to have a rational conversation here. Most of the people are so rabidly pro-any vaccine that it's impossible.

By the way, doctors don't know everything. I know a number of kids who would have died had their parents listened to doctors and not pushed about finding out what was actually wrong.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Don't even try to have a rational conversation here. Most of the people are so rabidly pro-any vaccine that it's impossible.

By the way, doctors don't know everything. I know a number of kids who would have died had their parents listened to doctors and not pushed about finding out what was actually wrong.
Rabidly pro-vaccine? No. Parents, who weigh the odds, do our research, and make informed decisions. When you have children, you are free to do the same.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:51 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Thumbs down *

You mean parents who all do the same thing and BLINDLY FOLLOW MAINSTREAM BS!! (Thats what most do. THEY HAVE NO MIND OF THIER OWN TO HELP THEM SEE HOW DAMAGING THIS IS)

Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Rabidly pro-vaccine? No. Parents, who weigh the odds, do our research, and make informed decisions. When you have children, you are free to do the same.

That's what all parents should do. And it's perfectly OK if they come to different decisions in the end because people do have different risk factors when it comes to Hep B. Weigh the risk, research and make an informed decision.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You mean parents who all do the same thing and BLINDLY FOLLOW MAINSTREAM BS!! (Thats what most do. THEY HAVE NO MIND OF THIER OWN TO HELP THEM SEE HOW DAMAGING THIS IS)
No, that's not what I mean, no matter how how loud you write it. Do you even have kids, or are you merely looking for some controversy? I don't play that game, just like I never played any games regarding the health of my children.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not at birth, but there is a chance of the child contracting Hep B in infancy and having a 90% chance of becoming a carrier for life, getting liver cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, etc in later life. Mom's Hep B status can change from the time she's tested in early pregnancy until delivery, sometimes testing doesn't get done as with late prenatal care, or some reason. It's preferable to vaccinate in infancy, when the chance of developing complications from the disease is much higher than later on.

Once Hep B was recommended for infants in 1991, many states added Hep B to their school vaccine requirements as well. Some, like Colorado, instituted a two-tier program, requiring it of incoming kindergartners and 7th graders, so that eventually it was required for all grades. My oldest daughter, born in 1984 (age 32), missed that requirement by a year, but we got her the vaccine anyway. But there are lots of moms that age and older who were not vaccinated. And other states just required the vaccine for K entry, making the oldest ones to have been required to get it in their 20s. So there are many non-immune moms out there.
Your oldest daughter is the same age as my younger daughter. My oldest was born in 1979. Those students who were already in school in 1991, were not required to get additional new vaccinations which came on the market. Hep. B and the Chicken Pox vax were added while mine were already in school. The school did not demand additional new vaccinations back in those days for kids already in the school. This was NY.

While my younger daughter, who is a Mom, did not get that Hep. B. vax as a child, she probably did get that, and a lot more, when she joined the Military the year before she had her kids. I do not think she has any record of what vaccinations she got in the Military. My 37 year old daughter has not had that Hep. B. I declined mine when I worked in both MR/DD Group Homes and Public Schools. Both occupations require TB testing for staff, offer Hep. B, but it is not required. Now, maybe they should TEST staff for Hep. B instead of asking for a vaccination? What good would it do if they are already infected?

What about Hep. C. for which there is no vaccine? Couldn't an infant catch that too from a parent, caregiver, etc. Who is getting tested for this? Isn't it transferred in the same manner as Hep. B? Why all the worry about Hep. B and not for Hep. C? Because there is no vaccine for it? Hep. C is being called "The Silent Epidemic" because millions could be infected and not know they are.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
The law in Colorado included kindergartners and incoming 7th graders starting in 1997. Different states have different immunization policies.
State Mandates on Immunization and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases: Hepatitis B

We have a vaccine against Hepatitis B so we have policies about it. Yes, people are still vulnerable to Hep C. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to eliminate Hep B!

Old 05-20-2016, 07:14 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Students, who were in high school for all these state mandates, would have missed that Hep. B vaccination. My older daughter (37) graduated in 1996.

Parents in their 30's today would not have been required to get Hep. B. in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy