U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:03 PM

21,528 posts, read 26,146,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Another opinion, not born out the the data (although there is a higher prevalence rate for relatives of those with ASD to have ASD themselves). In my case, we have no family members on either side with ASD. My husband is slightly quirky, but he does not meet criteria for ASD.

Another opinion, not born out the the data (although there is a higher prevalence rate for relatives of those with ASD to have ASD themselves). In my case, we have no family members on either side with ASD. My husband is slightly quirky, but he does not meet criteria for ASD. But I wouldn't change my son with ASD for the world, and the world is a better place because my husband and I procreated and had him. Some people with ASD have changed the world in remarkable and helpful ways.
There is data on the prevalence of autistic traits in parents of people with autism:

https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2014...tic-too/19483/

"When there was a child with autism in the family, both parents more often scored in the top 20 percent of the adult population on a survey we use to measure the presence of autistic traits ... "

"In cases where both parents had mildly elevated scores on the survey, researchers found that they were 85 percent more likely to have a child with autism. If just one parent scored high, there was a 53 percent increased chance of the developmental disorder occurring in their son or daughter."

The full article:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/1878924
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:59 AM

6,931 posts, read 4,237,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is data on the prevalence of autistic traits in parents of people with autism:

"When there was a child with autism in the family, both parents more often scored in the top 20 percent of the adult population on a survey we use to measure the presence of autistic traits ... "

"In cases where both parents had mildly elevated scores on the survey, researchers found that they were 85 percent more likely to have a child with autism. If just one parent scored high, there was a 53 percent increased chance of the developmental disorder occurring in their son or daughter."

The full article:

I have this journal article bookmarked. My second daughter has ASD, and my son ADHD with ASD characteristics (the overlap makes it more difficult to diagnose at this point). My ex-husband has ASD.

I only had three ultrasounds with my second daughter, and six with my second son. Contrast that with the 10+ I had with my first daughter who doesn't have ASD. In our case, there's definitely a genetic component.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,125,777 times
I came to this board hoping for insight... found this as the most recent thread, and decided the best thing to do is never visit here again...

Too many people don't understand how science works. This thread is an argument of science vs feelings...

It's no wonder they tell pregnant mom's to avoid message boards. I'm just glad my wife didn't see this.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:21 PM

1,844 posts, read 970,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I firmly believe that Autism is genetic. Every child I know with Autism has a parent on the spectrum. The parents are usually higher functioning and it is very hidden. Maybe people should look at their medical history before deciding to procreate.
I agree. One theory is in past generations women weren't able to travel and go to college as they do now. Women chose husbands from a much smaller pool. They often didn't leave their small towns. Now women have a huge pool to chose from. The woman on the spectrum is much more likely to chose a husband on the spectrum and therefore many more children on the spectrum.

I'm like you, every child I know who is on the spectrum has at least one parent who appears to be on the spectrum. They often have extended family on the spectrum too.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 970,080 times
Quote:

The full article:

Doesn't this make sense? It's science and genetics. Why do people have so much trouble accepting it?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 AM

21,528 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Doesn't this make sense? It's science and genetics. Why do people have so much trouble accepting it?
I think part of it is that some people desperately want there to be some preventable environmental cause for autism.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:08 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,643,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I can't help "think" there is a connection. Just hearing a program on autism, it's said 1 in 68 babies born today are autistic.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ism-connection

I'm much older and ultrasounds were not heard of when I had a baby.
Yes, and internal combustion engines. There wasn't any autism of note before motor vehicle ambulances were invented, taking the mothers to hospital and wobbling the baby's brains. Makes sense right?

The first, second and fourth words of your opening sentence make sense.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,125,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes, and internal combustion engines. There wasn't any autism of note before motor vehicle ambulances were invented, taking the mothers to hospital and wobbling the baby's brains. Makes sense right?

The first, second and fourth words of your opening sentence make sense.
Wait, that almost sounds like the increased ability to detect autism has resulted in an increase in autism detection rates...

That's some crazy maths! Who'd of thunk that!

Old 12-06-2017, 04:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 777,542 times
I spent a lot of time thinking epidurals were causing it. It made sense to me since so many more women get them now. I can see how people look at what seems to be a pattern and then evidence comes along that seems to completely support your theory. And yes there is a desperation to try and find some non-genetic cause, so that people can have the hope that they can prevent it in their child.

Then my own son was diagnosed with autism. Yes I had an epidural, but that wasn’t the cause. I discovered one of my own brothers has it, the one that was just thought to be weird as a kid, is finally thriving since being diagnosed. One of my aunts has it. Her father had it. FYI, no ultrasounds in any of those cases, and vaccines were all given in another country.

There is a known genetic cause in some families, called Fragile X syndrome. I was tested and found to not be a carrier, but we got autism anyway.

As I met more and more families with a child who has autism, I realized that so many more kids who would have just seemed a bit ‘off’ in years gone by are now getting the help to lead very productive and even happy lives. To be honest, most people who meet my son for the first time can’t tell he even has autism because therapy and the right educational support in school have helped him move past most of his issues.

It’s also important for people to realize that autism isn’t always the worst thing that can happen to your child. I’ve had friends who lost their babies altogether. Now that will give you perspective on life. The disorder that makes it hard for my son to understand social cues, also gives him laser like focus on things he wants to learn more about. People with autism can have skills that most of us can only dream about. Would I have preferred for my child to have a much easier life where he has friends, can participate in team sports, gets invited to birthday parties? Sure. But I wasn’t given the option, and the kid I got is working out just fine thank you.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM

4,801 posts, read 1,550,172 times
Quote:
I think part of it is that some people desperately want there to be some preventable environmental cause for autism.
Because there obviously is.

It didn't exist 100 years ago.

Now it does and it's rates are increasing exponentially in the US, specifically. SOMETHING is causing it. SOMETHING has changed to CAUSE it. Otherwise kids wouldn't be autistic today, just like they weren't 100 years ago.

it's really not hard to understand that .. unless you're a paid pharma shill who will defend any medical intervention known to man and ignore basic common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or