U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 AM
 
15,203 posts, read 16,061,842 times
Reputation: 25127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've worked so long with individuals with autism, I can do this in my sleep.
Thank you for the link to the Smithsonian article. It was very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2017, 06:45 PM
 
9,707 posts, read 7,661,442 times
Reputation: 17567
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because there obviously is.

It didn't exist 100 years ago.

Now it does and it's rates are increasing exponentially in the US, specifically. SOMETHING is causing it. SOMETHING has changed to CAUSE it. Otherwise kids wouldn't be autistic today, just like they weren't 100 years ago.

it's really not hard to understand that .. unless you're a paid pharma shill who will defend any medical intervention known to man and ignore basic common sense.
Autism existed 100 years ago, and long before that.

Not by that name, no, that's more recent - but quirky, oddball kids have always been with us. As have children more severely affected.

100 years ago, those more severely affected would have been institutionalized or hidden away at home. They would have not received any accurate diagnosis, therapy or education.

The quirky kids would have been mainstreamed but they were the ones who'd interrupt, stim, never respond as expected, and often be in their own worlds. They were stood in the corners of the classrooms, kept after school, whacked with rulers on their palms or calves, made to wear dunce caps, mocked and scorned. They had few friends. They were often the last chosen for games. But often, they were in the highest reading groups, though they got there after slow starts, if they were not already reading when they began school.

And they were the kids who knew the most about science - certain elements of science, that is - or who read incessantly and retained it all. They could recite mathematical formulas that the teachers had never heard of. They were pains in the necks of the least imaginative, least sympathetic teachers. But once in a while, intuitive teachers would happen along and magic took place with such kids.

Occasionally one such quirky kid would grow up to surprise and amaze the world. Thomas Edison did. So did Alexander Graham Bell, and Albert Einstein.

Correlation does not equal causation. What's increased over the last 100 years is the rate of recognition and diagnosis, not the rate of occurrence of autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Reputation: 48621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you for the link to the Smithsonian article. It was very interesting.


I thought so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Reputation: 48621
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Autism existed 100 years ago, and long before that.

Not by that name, no, that's more recent - but quirky, oddball kids have always been with us. As have children more severely affected.

100 years ago, those more severely affected would have been institutionalized or hidden away at home. They would have not received any accurate diagnosis, therapy or education.

The quirky kids would have been mainstreamed but they were the ones who'd interrupt, stim, never respond as expected, and often be in their own worlds. They were stood in the corners of the classrooms, kept after school, whacked with rulers on their palms or calves, made to wear dunce caps, mocked and scorned. They had few friends. They were often the last chosen for games. But often, they were in the highest reading groups, though they got there after slow starts, if they were not already reading when they began school.

And they were the kids who knew the most about science - certain elements of science, that is - or who read incessantly and retained it all. They could recite mathematical formulas that the teachers had never heard of. They were pains in the necks of the least imaginative, least sympathetic teachers. But once in a while, intuitive teachers would happen along and magic took place with such kids.

Occasionally one such quirky kid would grow up to surprise and amaze the world. Thomas Edison did. So did Alexander Graham Bell, and Albert Einstein.

Correlation does not equal causation. What's increased over the last 100 years is the rate of recognition and diagnosis, not the rate of occurrence of autism.
For whatever reason, this poster is simply more comfortable erroneously insisting that autism is a newly occurring phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 PM
 
18,907 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Reputation: 12706
I don't know that it's been around for 100's of years, but I have been on this earth for 80 yrs soon and I don't know anyone with autism. I have a curosity since I hear so much about it TODAY, guess with the internet it's about everywhere.

Mercury is talked about so much.
Vaccines also.
Ultrasounds are mentioned and that's why I posted what I did.

I'm not nuts or quirky as some choose to call me, but do question WHY it's still so much in our population.

Since so many know so much about it etc etc...why isn't it reduced or eradicated here in 2018 soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Reputation: 48621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know that it's been around for 100's of years, but I have been on this earth for 80 yrs soon and I don't know anyone with autism.
You probably don't know anyone that you're aware has autism.


Quote:
why isn't it reduced or eradicated here in 2018 soon.
Because you can't effectively eradicate or reduce something without a solid idea of what causes it. With autism, at this point, very little is understood other than, "there is likely a genetic component."

This is the rationale for the enormous amounts of ongoing research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM
 
15,203 posts, read 16,061,842 times
Reputation: 25127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know that it's been around for 100's of years, but I have been on this earth for 80 yrs soon and I don't know anyone with autism. I have a curosity since I hear so much about it TODAY, guess with the internet it's about everywhere.

Mercury is talked about so much.
Vaccines also.
Ultrasounds are mentioned and that's why I posted what I did.

I'm not nuts or quirky as some choose to call me, but do question WHY it's still so much in our population.

Since so many know so much about it etc etc...why isn't it reduced or eradicated here in 2018 soon.
If you think back about people you've known, I bet you've know a few who would be diagnosed with autism today.

I went all the way through school with a kid starting in first grade. He could already read when we started school and read the encyclopedia for fun. He loved to talk about things in depth--geology, weather, other science topics. We all thought he was smart but "weird." As we got older, his oddities became more pronounced. He wouldn't look at you when talking, but over your shoulder. He scratched out musical scores and said he was writing symphonies. Maybe he was or wasn't, I have no idea, but he did play some stringed instrument. Today, there is a good chance he would be diagnosed with autism, but we just thought he was peculiar.

Are you sure you've never met anyone similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
 
18,907 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Reputation: 12706
I think over my long life and being born in 1938, I still have a good memory. I can remember kids who were "bad seed" types and some hyper and we called them "ants in their pants"...my own grandson now 18 is hyper and thank goodness my daughter didn't put him on drugs. She kept him busy with sports etc...he's a smart boy but needs direction unlike his sister. They both still need their mother, father died recently so can't get support there.

So like SO MUCH we don't have hard answers for autism is right there....so many things can be causing this disorder and why is ultrasounds mentioned by some.

This is just another info link, there are more:

http://www.birthrelaxationkit.com/ul...velopment.html

Even arthritis, we don't know FOR SURE what causes it, but I believe a variety of things we do in our lives...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-08-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 PM
 
4,801 posts, read 1,550,172 times
Reputation: 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You probably don't know anyone that you're aware has autism.




Because you can't effectively eradicate or reduce something without a solid idea of what causes it. With autism, at this point, very little is understood other than, "there is likely a genetic component."

This is the rationale for the enormous amounts of ongoing research.
If it were hereditary, the rates would be CONSISTENT and immediately traceable.

Mutations of genes cause illness. Environmental influence causes mutations. This well known and not disputed. So .. if you are claiming that there is a genetic component than it MUST be an environmental cause. There is no other possible explanation for a CAUSE.

It's basic science 101. And people are refusing to see that basic basic theory, pooh poohing ANY and EVERY environmental cause, whether it is a toxin (vaccines would be in that category) or types of other cell interference (ultrasound).

Because science and stuff. Autism is increasing but but it's not. It's not increasing. We just never noticed. No, there has always been this level of autism in the world. Yah. OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,528 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Reputation: 26527
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If it were hereditary, the rates would be CONSISTENT and immediately traceable.

Mutations of genes cause illness. Environmental influence causes mutations. This well known and not disputed. So .. if you are claiming that there is a genetic component than it MUST be an environmental cause. There is no other possible explanation for a CAUSE.

It's basic science 101. And people are refusing to see that basic basic theory, pooh poohing ANY and EVERY environmental cause, whether it is a toxin (vaccines would be in that category) or types of other cell interference (ultrasound).

Because science and stuff. Autism is increasing but but it's not. It's not increasing. We just never noticed. No, there has always been this level of autism in the world. Yah. OK.
"Genetic" does not necessarily mean "hereditary". Genetic changes are for the most part spontaneous. They are not "caused" by anything environmental. So no, there is not necessarily an environmental cause for a genetic mutation. The majority are random and happen at the time of conception. In addition, autism appears to involve multiple genes interacting with each other. It's not a matter of a single mutation.

If you change the definition of autism and then start an intensive effort to identify cases, then the incidence will go up. It's inevitable.

There have always been people with the traits we now call autism. It was just not called autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top