U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 PM
 
959 posts, read 1,012,563 times
Reputation: 604

Advertisements

Question out of curiosity - If my insurance out-of-pocket max is $3000, it's going to be guarantee 100% certainty a pregnancy will make me hit it that max right? I assume the hospital procedure/stay itself is already $3000+?

If this answer is yes, I'm basically predicting the future and knowing I'm going to hit my max.
Wouldn't it make sense to take advantage of me knowing I'm going to hit the max by going to do as many checkups and as many tests as possible? In other words, since I know I'm going to hit $3000, I might as well aim to spend $10000+ (since I'm already locked and maxed at $3000)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM
 
1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
Reputation: 4390
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Question out of curiosity - If my insurance out-of-pocket max is $3000, it's going to be guarantee 100% certainty a pregnancy will make me hit it that max right? I assume the hospital procedure/stay itself is already $3000+?

If this answer is yes, I'm basically predicting the future and knowing I'm going to hit my max.
Wouldn't it make sense to take advantage of me knowing I'm going to hit the max by going to do as many checkups and as many tests as possible? In other words, since I know I'm going to hit $3000, I might as well aim to spend $10000+ (since I'm already locked and maxed at $3000)?
It's 3,000 dollars max out of pocket of covered services. Not all the extra tests will be a covered service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 AM
 
1,499 posts, read 2,309,695 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
It's 3,000 dollars max out of pocket of covered services. Not all the extra tests will be a covered service.
Depends. We had zero out of pocket expenses during pregnancy, but our insurance covered all pre-natal care 100%. Even the genetic testing, etc was covered. The only thing we had to pay for was the 3D sonograms, by choice, and we had a $200 co-pay for L&D when she went into labor.

FWIW OP, the bill submitted to the insurance company by the hospital after little one was born was just shy of $50,000. You don't "aim" to spend - it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 06:05 PM
 
204 posts, read 80,829 times
Reputation: 472
Why would you want to do as many checkups and tests as possible? Aren't there enough already built in?

During standard (not high-risk) prenatal care, with baby born on due date, you'll probably have 14 appointments in a 32-week period. The first appt is usually around 8 weeks, then you'll go back every 4 weeks until you're 28 weeks. Then you'll go every two weeks until 36 weeks, then every week until baby comes out. And plenty of tests and bloodwork along the way.

Another thing to think about - aside from what pp mentioned about not all extra tests being covered - many of these extra tests carry risks. Amniocentesis carries a small risk of miscarriage, so it isn't performed unless benefits outweigh risks.

Babies are expensive. IMHO, rather than trying to screw over your insurance company (and contributing to overinflated healthcare costs), it might be more productive for you to spend your time thinking about ways to save on costs - during pregnancy and after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM
 
2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times
Reputation: 2612
I had HSA - health saving account w/ a low grade insurance. How do I find out how much out if pocket tho process will cost with my insurance? And since I give birth next year, does it make sense to switch insurance this Nov when we have open enrollment. Will new insurance give problem cuz its pre-existing pregnancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Detroit Suburbs , MI
125 posts, read 69,778 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I had HSA - health saving account w/ a low grade insurance. How do I find out how much out if pocket tho process will cost with my insurance? And since I give birth next year, does it make sense to switch insurance this Nov when we have open enrollment. Will new insurance give problem cuz its pre-existing pregnancy
We had to pay Beaumont Royal Oak, almost $2800 from the HSA. Well, that is what happened for picking a $3800 family deductible I guess. We had blue cross blue shield.

Best of luck with the pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 PM
 
2,198 posts, read 1,227,272 times
Reputation: 2859
I paid 1500, all visits and birth inclusive. But I did a home birth with a midwife. I can't remember what my hospital birth cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 1,090,787 times
Reputation: 1471
We will be paying $6000ish. Thankfully we knew this going forward and have it in HSA and my doctors office submits it all in the birth year so we aren't paying two years of deductibles. Thank you Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top