U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM

1,085 posts, read 745,594 times

Advertisements

We already had a miscarriage. We're pregnant again but from week 5 to 6.5 the HCG only went from like 2500 to 7100. If its supposed to double every 2-3 days we really should have been around 20,000+. We had the hcg checked every day for the next 3 days it bounced around from 7000 to 7500, but really doesn't seem to be moving anymore. There is still a heart beat and the doctor suggested we don't do bloodwork or ultrasound for another week and a half as nature is going to do what its going to do, no point checking twice a week. We've been told to expect another miscarriage.. Anyone ever have something like this but the numbers catchup? We've been told anywhere from 75% to 95% chance of miscarriage depending on the dr we talk to. From everything I've read it doesn't look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 PM

228 posts, read 97,852 times
Anything is possible. The fact that there is a heartbeat is a good sign. Were progesterone levels measured? Sometimes that can give an indication of viability.

I don't have any advice, but I hope it works out for you. Waiting is hard.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM

The first was likely to have been due to low progesterone, so a progesterone supplement is being used now. I have a feeling that may be prolonging the inevitable. Forgot to mention the overall size of the sac was small, not by a huge amount, but small just the same. They said it had to catchup, but a few days later it was still too small and the gap didn't really close to where it should be. It really stinks because it feels like the excitement that should be there is being greatly overshadowed by dread.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,054,721 times
ericp501, I had the same situation. I had a miscarriage almost 3 years ago due to low progesterone and the ob put me on a progesterone supplement. I was on it for exactly one day when I had the loss. Fast forward and I now have a 16 month old but suffered another miscarriage this past April. I was again put on progesterone supplements and this time for almost 4 weeks but it didn't help, it was too late, the numbers just didn't catch up to where they should have been.
It's hard to say if everything would have been ok if I had known I was pregnant sooner but it seems to me that is almost impossible. Usually doctors don't want to see you until 8 weeks and by then it could be too late. In my case for the second miscarriage and because of my past history, they had me come in immediately when I found out I was pregnant. I don't like to be negative but I knew something was not right from the moment that test was positive. I felt exactly like I did when I had my first pregnancy...absolutely nothing. With my lo now, I started feeling symptoms within 3 to 4 weeks. I KNEW I was pregnant. In my case and a few other friends that have gone through this, none turned out for the best. I certainly don't wish this for you. Best of luck.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:13 AM

25 posts, read 13,587 times
Just wanted to first express my condolences to you, OP, and to anyone who has been through losses and the feeling of dread when you suspect one is impending. I went through recurrent pregnancy loss, so I know that hell all too well.

I also wanted to add two things to the conversation:

1. Sometimes low progesterone can be a cause of miscarriage, but, more often, low progesterone is a symptom that the embryo is not viable rather than a cause unto itself. I know how much we all look back and wish that we could have done something to save the pregnancy, but most miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities or unbalanced translocations that are incompatible with life. All the progesterone supplementation in the world will not correct these things.

2. With that said, if you have a history of low progesterone in pregnancy, talk to your doctor about starting progesterone supplementation every cycle once ovulation is confirmed. This requires you to track carefully because starting the progesterone too soon in your cycle can prevent ovulation, but if you are already monitoring your cycles carefully this won't be an issue and progesterone supplementation is generally a can't hurt/could help thing. My regular OB prescribed oral progesterone to be started 3 days post-ovulation after my second loss. When I moved to an RE, he prescribed post-ovulation as a matter of course for all patients; route of administration was vaginal suppository, which I much preferred to the oral route because the side effects were less noticeable.

Once again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,054,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulingtherooster View Post
Just wanted to first express my condolences to you, OP, and to anyone who has been through losses and the feeling of dread when you suspect one is impending. I went through recurrent pregnancy loss, so I know that hell all too well.

I also wanted to add two things to the conversation:

1. Sometimes low progesterone can be a cause of miscarriage, but, more often, low progesterone is a symptom that the embryo is not viable rather than a cause unto itself. I know how much we all look back and wish that we could have done something to save the pregnancy, but most miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities or unbalanced translocations that are incompatible with life. All the progesterone supplementation in the world will not correct these things.

2. With that said, if you have a history of low progesterone in pregnancy, talk to your doctor about starting progesterone supplementation every cycle once ovulation is confirmed. This requires you to track carefully because starting the progesterone too soon in your cycle can prevent ovulation, but if you are already monitoring your cycles carefully this won't be an issue and progesterone supplementation is generally a can't hurt/could help thing. My regular OB prescribed oral progesterone to be started 3 days post-ovulation after my second loss. When I moved to an RE, he prescribed post-ovulation as a matter of course for all patients; route of administration was vaginal suppository, which I much preferred to the oral route because the side effects were less noticeable.

Once again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I absolutely agree.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 AM

Should anyone find this thread in the future I'm sorry to report the numbers were right and it did ultimately end in a miscarriage. Find solace in your significant other and never give up.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,396,135 times
I am sorry for your loss. Pray that you have healthy baby soon

I am dealing with HCG count right now. Gave my blood yesterday and will do again on Monday to see before doctors can say anything. The ultrasounds doesn't look good.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 PM

662 posts, read 619,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Should anyone find this thread in the future I'm sorry to report the numbers were right and it did ultimately end in a miscarriage. Find solace in your significant other and never give up.
So sorry for the loss. I very much understand what you are going through as I've had a late stage loss (still birth) followed by an early loss. The motherhood journey is sometimes fraught with heartbreaks but we often persevere for a multitude of reasons.

Hang in there!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Over a year later.. 2 failed IUI and 2 failed IVF, out of embryos.. And I just heard that the biggest idiot, undeserving girl in the world is expecting by accident. Just so unfair.

We are happily married, make almost $200k a year, own a home, have no major debt, great credit, investment property, college educated, healthy, so much love to give and simply can't have a child..
This idiot girl we know isn't married, heavily obese, smoker, no job, when she did work it was a bs entry level job, finances cars at 27%, can't pay rent, STILL SMOKING EVEN WHEN PREGNANT..

We have so much more to offer a child.. I just don't understand how someone can just accidentally get pregnant when they are so unhealthy and can't even take care of themselves, and we have the world to offer and have tried everything for 3 years and still nothing... just so disgustingly unfair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or