U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times

Advertisements

Because no young people ever go against "instruction."
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 722,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
You're happy your teenage daughter is unmarried and pregnant?
Why does she need to be married? What if she has a committed long time boyfriend or partner aka significant other? Would that be sufficient for you or does it need to be (iyo) a legal marriage?

On a side note in a Segway off this comment, it seems like sometimes those with a partner (committed long term relationship) fare better than legal marriages. Or at last I don't see legal marriages faring better than partnerships. At least in a (non- legally binding) commitment you know the other person isn't just staying out of duty, religious beliefs or wanting to avoid the legal hassle of divorce

Old 10-12-2017, 01:30 PM

11,636 posts, read 17,050,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I am not happy with an untimely pregnancy, but my 17-year old daughter told us as soon as she pondered the thought of it, after missing her period. We have a great relationship, we are open and honest about most things, and we are fair and forgiving when we have to discipline our children.

She decided to tell us immediately about her situation because she believed she could run to us for support! What a joy! We did not have to wait for months. She did not have to torment herself with a false fear of rejection or disappointment.

To the parents out there. What was your experience when you found out? Why or why not did your son or daughter tell you early on?
Lol..not sure if I should read between the lines here of just read it like it says..lol.
But it's a good thing she came to you. She trust you.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 AM

523 posts, read 505,973 times
My daughter had been battling depression for a while. We either believed her pregnancy would make it worse, or maybe some unknown behavior would develop. I really don't know. The results of her decision to talk to us indicated that there are some "positives" to her health and our relationship.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 AM

704 posts, read 229,215 times
Once we accept pregnancy, babies and parenting as never being convenient, the rest seems easy. You seem like an excellent role model in this matter, I wish you all the best. As an aside, two best friends walked this path, both are MDs, now. It's not likely the internet will have success stories like theirs.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:45 AM

6,298 posts, read 10,469,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Why does she need to be married? What if she has a committed long time boyfriend or partner aka significant other? Would that be sufficient for you or does it need to be (iyo) a legal marriage?

On a side note in a Segway off this comment, it seems like sometimes those with a partner (committed long term relationship) fare better than legal marriages. Or at last I don't see legal marriages faring better than partnerships. At least in a (non- legally binding) commitment you know the other person isn't just staying out of duty, religious beliefs or wanting to avoid the legal hassle of divorce
OMG!!!!!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:10 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,509,501 times
Whatever you do, don't let the father move in.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 PM

426 posts, read 140,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I'm not happy about the decision my daughter made to have sex. She was on birth control, but she did not take it properly like she should. She knows better. We talk. We tell her that you must take the pill everyday and be consistent with it.

I would love to report that my daughter would have finished college, found her career path, met a husband, and then start a family. It is not going to happen for her that way. We are disappointment with the situation, but when we reframe everything and think about a new baby, we can't help but show some excitement for a new life.

We are like most parents that have tried to show our daughters the way...However, teenagers and adults alike will make their own decisions, some that are detrimental in some ways...

Your first mistake was telling her it is ok to use an artificial enhancer.

If you made it clear the first time she has sex, she could be pregnant, that would never have happened.

Even if you wanted to let her take it for some strange reason, she cannot remember to take a pill every morning?

Is she always that irresponsible and forgetful?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:03 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,066,094 times
^^ That's just how many teenagers are. My teen takes heart medication and I have to remind her most days. Teenagers are generally forgetful and yes, they can be irresponsible. Most of them grow out of it, but even adult women forget to take their birth control at times. For a teen, something that doesn't count on the user is probably a better choice. An IUD, the shot, an implant. Not ideal, but better than something they have to remember every day. That being said, the ship has sailed and it doesn't really matter at this point.

OP, good for you for having an open and candid relationship with your daughter. With your support, I bet she will do fine as a mother. She has a good role model. Just encourage her to finish her minimum education, whether it means using your state's online program or going to an alternative school that offers childcare or whatever needs to be done (assuming she's not graduating in May/June, before the baby arrives). Also encourage her to think ahead to what she wants to be doing for a career. Nothing is completely off the table, but some roads are much harder to take with a baby in tow.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 PM

6,747 posts, read 2,623,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Your first mistake was telling her it is ok to use an artificial enhancer.

If you made it clear the first time she has sex, she could be pregnant, that would never have happened.

Even if you wanted to let her take it for some strange reason, she cannot remember to take a pill every morning?

Is she always that irresponsible and forgetful?
What's an artificial enhancer? Sorry, I'm just trying to keep up with this interesting discussion.

When I googled "artificial enhancer" it seemed it was pads you put in your bra to make your breasts look bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or