Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

I am not happy with an untimely pregnancy, but my 17-year old daughter told us as soon as she pondered the thought of it, after missing her period. We have a great relationship, we are open and honest about most things, and we are fair and forgiving when we have to discipline our children.

She decided to tell us immediately about her situation because she believed she could run to us for support! What a joy! We did not have to wait for months. She did not have to torment herself with a false fear of rejection or disappointment.

To the parents out there. What was your experience when you found out? Why or why not did your son or daughter tell you early on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
You're happy your teenage daughter is unmarried and pregnant?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I read it as being glad to have a relationship where their daughter felt comfortable being open with them right away.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM

342 posts, read 388,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I read it as being glad to have a relationship where their daughter felt comfortable being open with them right away.
I read it the same way. The parents are glad that when the daughter was in serious trouble that she immediately turned to her parents to help her. The OP's first statement is that she's not happy about the untimely pregnancy.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
OP: Maybe you will let us in on her plans. OK if you don't too. I've got some stories along these lines but will save for maybe later if this thread continues.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:59 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Good for you and your child. I hope my daughter if faced with the same thing would run to me and we'd work it out together. Make the best of an unexpected situation and make sure once the baby is born she is on birth control. Many people are so bashful about that with their daughters, if they are old enough and dating get them on the pill and make sure they take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
If you read and comprehended the OP's post you'd understand what you're asking isn't even close.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
I'm not happy about the decision my daughter made to have sex. She was on birth control, but she did not take it properly like she should. She knows better. We talk. We tell her that you must take the pill everyday and be consistent with it.

I would love to report that my daughter would have finished college, found her career path, met a husband, and then start a family. It is not going to happen for her that way. We are disappointment with the situation, but when we reframe everything and think about a new baby, we can't help but show some excitement for a new life.

We are like most parents that have tried to show our daughters the way...However, teenagers and adults alike will make their own decisions, some that are detrimental in some ways...

Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I'm not happy about the decision my daughter made to have sex. She was on birth control, but she did not take it properly like she should. She knows better. We talk. We tell her that you must take the pill everyday and be consistent with it.

I would love to report that my daughter would have finished college, found her career path, met a husband, and then start a family. It is not going to happen for her that way. We are disappointment with the situation, but when we reframe everything and think about a new baby, we can't help but show some excitement for a new life.

We are like most parents that have tried to show our daughters the way...However, teenagers and adults alike will make their own decisions, some that are detrimental in some ways...
Maybe in the future the shot or the implant would be a better choice of birth control for her, no daily pill to take.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
And why shouldn't she be? She's hopefully going to be a grandma.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
it is always interesting to deal with these threads. We had three daughters and a stray one brought home at 16 or so.

Mom however was a Bellevue trained RN. And the source of female wisdom to three or four years of graduates from the local high school located 50 yards from our home.

No one got pregnant. We have no illusion that there was no sex. But they were well instructed. No abortions? None we know of...but that is no guarantee...they were well instructed.

We probably would have welcomed an error into our family...but good instruction prevented that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy